Should I power with 120v or 240v What are the benefits and pros and cons of running 120v vs. 240v under solar power?

sabo

I have some lights that run either 120V or 240V I currently run them off the grid using 240V because the amp consumption is 1/2 compared to powering them off 120V. I will be installing an all in one inverter possibly the SPLIT PHASE LVX SERIES – LVX6048

https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/lvx6048/

powering off the grid running them on 240 V makes sense because I have some amperage limitations on the subpanel from which they are wired.

What are the benefits and pros and cons of running 120v vs. 240v under solar power?

snoobler

Solar Honey Badger
240V has less losses due to wiring resistance. 2X voltage, 1/2 amps = 1/4 resistance.

Note that aside from the losses, they use the same amount of POWER, i.e., a given energy source will power them for about the same amount of time as they will use the same Watts at either voltage.

sabo

That is the source of my confusion and the reason I am seeking more info. They use the same watts. I am assuming an inverter that powers 240V devices is for devices that only run on 240V. I am guessing in my case I dont really need 240V. What are the benefits of less resistance?

boondox

Chief Engineer, RedNeckTech Industries
The place where running 240VAC pays off the most is on heavy loads. For example, my water pressure pump is about 100 feet from my power center. So I ran 240 out there and wired the pump for 240. I could use smaller wire that way. Same thing for my welder, although it isn't all that far it is a pig for power. If the distance isn't far and the load is small the advantage is less. Since for 120 you only need 2 conductors + ground and for 240 you need 3 conductors + ground you may save a little sticking with 120. However, in general there really is no penalty for using 240.

MPRanger

Beefield, GA 30461
Of course the largest household consumer of 220v power is environmental control aka AC. Followed by clothes dryers, water heaters, well pumps and kitchen stove/oven.

MPRanger

Beefield, GA 30461
So; hang your clothes on a line to try, replace water heaters with on demand propane or NG, collect your drinking water in a cistern not a deep wel and cook with gas and you don’t need 220V if you live in the temperature of your grand parents. (Sweat)