diy solar

diy solar

Should I return my 24v AIMS inverter for a 12v AIMS inverter if rest of system is 12v?

MetalChef

Hi everyone-

I just bought a fixer upper truck camper that I plan to upgrade the solar power from it's current 100watts to 1000watts+.

The problem is I think I may have ordered the wrong Inverter/Charger on Amazon.

My set up so far is as follows:

3 - Lithium Deep Cycle 150Ah Group 31 Battery by Ohmmu Energy, the BEST 12V battery for RV, Camper, House/Coach, Marine, Trolling, Solar, Off-Grid, Overland, Sprinter. USA made. Tested to the extremes.

5 - Newpowa 200W Monocrystalline 200 Watt 12V Solar Panel High Efficiency Mono Module RV Marine Boat Off Grid

1 - Renogy Rover 60 Amp 12V/24V/36V/48V MPPT Common Positive Solar Charge Controller Regulator Compatible with Lithium Sealed Gel, Flooded Batteries and Bluetooth Module

As you can see my batteries and solar panels are both 12v.

However I guessed I overlooked that the AIMS 4000watt Pure Sine Inverter Charger is 24v.

Reason I bought such a powerful inverter is because I want to be able to run my truck campers 9200 BTU A/C along with 2 computers, 2 television monitors and charge mobile devices, 4G signal boost and fans.

Also at some point I really want to be able to charge my battery bank with my pickup truck alternator.

My question is given my situation, should I exchange my AIMS 4000 watt 24v inverter/charger for the AIMS 3000 watt 12v inverter/charger, or should I just purchase a converter from 24v to 12v for my RV appliance?

Here is the 24v AIMS inverter I purchased:
AIMS Power PICOGLF40W24V120V 4000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter Charger, 24Vdc to 120Vac Output, Remote Panel Available, Auto Frequency, Terminal Block, Multi Stage Smart Charger, 7 Battery Type Settings

Also if I decide to keep the AIMS 4000 watt 24v inverter charger does that mean I need to purchase another 150ah lithium battery to run 2 pairs of 12v lithium batteries in parallel?

Would using a 24v inverter complicate my wanting to have my 12v lithium battery bank charge of my pickup truck alternator?

I'm just a solar and newbie and even though I watched so many YouTube videos, I can really use a second opinion or some expert advice since I'm not real confident that I know what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Welll, I would love to have your inverter... if it were me, I would get an additional solar panel, wire them in series, and setup the batteries in 24v arrangement. Then get a 40A 12V REGULATED output converter.
Use what you have.

Welll, I would love to have your inverter... if it were me, I would get an additional solar panel, wire them in series, and setup the batteries in 24v arrangement. Then get a 40A 12V REGULATED output converter.
Use what you have.
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately to add a fourth 150ah lithium battery to have 2 pairs of 24v battery set would cost me another $950 so I think I’m just gonna return the AIMS 4000 watt 24v inverter/charger and will order the AIMS 4000 watts 12v inverter/charger instead. I’m not sure if my truck camper air conditioner runs on 12v or 120v so I’m worried if it’s 12v that the AIMS 4000 watt 24v inverter won’t be able to handle it even with the 24v to 12v converter.

That does make a difference...

you could sell the 24v one here on the forum, so you don’t have to pay return shipping if it works out a better value for you.
It is a popular size and voltage, it should sell quickly.
Heck, I might want it...

Keep in mind, a 3000 W inverter at 12V is going to need HUGE cables and fuses for protection. They aren’t cheap either.

"The low battery voltage trip point can be customized from a defaulted value of 10VDC to 10.5VDC thru SW1 on the DIP switch." On that AIMS, so you'll want additional LVD and set it around 12.2V for longevity.

Well duh...I grabbed that direct from the manual, of the 24V model, so recycling of the manual text...but you know what I mean.

Keep in mind, a 3000 W inverter at 12V is going to need HUGE cables and fuses for protection. They aren’t cheap either.
True. I learned that in one of Will Prowse YouTube video. But I’m assuming the thicker gauge wire won’t be a thousand dollars more which is what I would have to spend to buy a fourth battery to make the 24v converter work.

True. I learned that in one of Will Prowes
"The low battery voltage trip point can be customized from a defaulted value of 10VDC to 10.5VDC thru SW1 on the DIP switch." On that AIMS, so you'll want additional LVD and set it around 12.2V for longevity.

Well duh...I grabbed that direct from the manual, of the 24V model, so recycling of the manual text...but you know what I mean.
??? Thanks

Also at some point I really want to be able to charge my battery bank with my pickup truck alternator.
The more I think about this, I wonder if you should consider Victron MultiPlus, or the Xantrex Freedom...these are pretty much All-in-ones, and might come out cheaper than your current parts list.

While I have access to some knowledgeable advice here, do you guys think this combiner box: Link below

ECO LLC 6 String PV Combiner Box 10A Rated Current with Lighting Arreste and Grounding Bus-Bar Ideal For Off-grid Solar System

I purchased on Amazon can handle the gauge wire needed for my setup of:

3 - Lithium Deep Cycle 150Ah Group 31 Battery by Ohmmu Energy, the BEST 12V battery for RV, Camper, House/Coach, Marine, Trolling, Solar, Off-Grid, Overland, Sprinter. USA made. Tested to the extremes.

5 - Newpowa 200W Monocrystalline 200 Watt 12V Solar Panel High Efficiency Mono Module RV Marine Boat Off Grid

1 - Renogy Rover 60 Amp 12V/24V/36V/48V MPPT Common Positive Solar Charge Controller Regulator Compatible with Lithium Sealed Gel, Flooded Batteries and Bluetooth Module.

The more I think about this, I wonder if you should consider Victron MultiPlus, or the Xantrex Freedom...these are pretty much All-in-ones, and might come out cheaper than your current parts list.
Thanks for your suggestion. I just checked Amazon. For the price of a 3000 watt Victron MultiPlus, or the Xantrex Freedom..., I am paying less for my AIMS 4000 watt inverter/charger. I’m not sure what all-in-one more those two other inverter/chargers would offer over the AIMS?

Thanks for your suggestion. I just checked Amazon. For the price of a 3000 watt Victron MultiPlus, or the Xantrex Freedom..., I am paying less for my AIMS 4000 watt inverter/charger. I’m not sure what all-in-one more those two other inverter/chargers would offer over the AIMS?

Mainly fully configurable LVD, but the ATS will be handy for shore power visits, like on a cloudy day, you can drive to an outlet to recharge. You'll still need an MPPT or the Renogy DC-DC which can do both solar and alternator. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/renogy-dc-dc-charger-w-mppt.1406/

edit: to clarify, you 'prioritize' the ATS switch to use shore power, when available, for loads and charging...beats driving distances just to get some juice.

Mainly fully configurable LVD, but the ATS will be handy for shore power visits, like on a cloudy day, you can drive to an outlet to recharge. You'll still need an MPPT or the Renogy DC-DC which can do both solar and alternator. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/renogy-dc-dc-charger-w-mppt.1406/

edit: to clarify, you 'prioritize' the ATS switch to use shore power, when available, for loads and charging...beats driving distances just to get some juice.
Thanks again for your input. I’m really learning a lot when I have to research what the acronyms you are using mean. The AIMS 4000 watt does have ATS which will startup a backup fuel powered generator when battery bank runs low or shore power cuts off. Once AC power is restored it will switch back to non fuel generator power. it also has a low battery alarm, low battery trip, low battery voltage restart so it seems very comparable to the features of the Victron MultiPlus, or the Xantrex Freedom... that you had suggested but at a lower price and 1000 more watts

Ah..forgot it too was a charger. I had already ruled it out due to LVD issue...audible is simply not enough battery protection for me. Cheers!

While I have access to some knowledgeable advice here, do you guys think this combiner box: Link below

ECO LLC 6 String PV Combiner Box 10A Rated Current with Lighting Arreste and Grounding Bus-Bar Ideal For Off-grid Solar System

I purchased on Amazon can handle the gauge wire needed for my setup of:

1 - Renogy Rover 60 Amp 12V/24V/36V/48V MPPT Common Positive Solar Charge Controller Regulator Compatible with Lithium Sealed Gel, Flooded Batteries and Bluetooth Module.

The combiner box is probably more than you need. But it all depends on how you configure your solar panels in a string. I haven't seen in this thread your plan for that. 5s? The odd number of panels means you can't have two identical strings. So maybe 3s and 2s. Or maybe you're looking at bringing them all into the combiner box as 1s5p? (probably not ideal) You need to provide the specifications of those panels also. What is the max Voc that the MPPT can handle?

In a truck camper that combiner box will take a lot of real estate, no matter if it's indoors or on the roof.

Be sure the intended inverter/charger can handle more than your current solar panel array at 12v. I found a benefit where I could increase total solar watts to 1700 (vs 1000) just by going 24v. I have the 60amp AIMS charge controller powering a 24v battery bank (200ah lifepo4) and running a 24v, 3000watt AIMS inverter. I have approx $1,500 in my 24v, 200ah lifepo4 battery bank. I assembled from 16 CALB 3.2v, 100ah cells (fresh new Class A cells) a pair of BMS and associated cables.

Back