diy solar

diy solar

Should my system be grounded?

SolarLoverMan

Hi

I have a new on-grid system of:

17 x Q Cells Peak Duo Black ML-G9 380w Panels (6.46 kWh array) split over 2 strings 10 & 7

4 x Growatt PowerAmp ML33RTA 3.3 kWh batteries (13.2 kWh)

1 x Growatt SPH3000 6.6 kWh Inverter

My inverter is not grounded & I’ve checked with my installer and they say the Inverter does not need grounding; whereas the Growatt manual says it does!

They say “grounding the PV array this isn’t needed unless we are installing on a erroneous roofing material, we use that earthing point on the inverter to bond the 6.5kw batteries but there is no point available on the 3.3 kw batteries. The battery storage is 50 volts low voltage”

Our panels are on a tiled roof with inverter & batteries inside garage.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 2E452ED3-1CAF-4C08-9E8D-FC8CEB89F29A.jpeg
    2E452ED3-1CAF-4C08-9E8D-FC8CEB89F29A.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 33
Currently installing my own offgrid with similar questions. Being ongrid I'd presume you'll share public or mains EGC in some form, don't quote me on that though. I need a rod

Simple safety requirement. If it is a metal box it needs to be common connected to singe ground point. You don't want to put one hand on one box and other hand on other box and have a voltage between them.

Metal conduit does not count as interconnecting two metal cases. It can have loose collar clamps or have bad case connections due to painted case.

Back