diy solar

diy solar

Show and Tell Project In Progress

Mark H.

I'm a newbie so please forgive me if I chose the wrong forum for my first post. As I am beginning to research and convert my RV Van electrical system from my AGM & converter (only) to solar panel & lithium I thought I'd provide the "before" system (rebuilt by a friend and I) and update as the conversion proceeds...

Several years ago we completely replaced the default van system (dating from 1995) of "one battery" to a four battery 400 plus amp hr. deep cycle bank. In sum:

- Converter upgraded to a Progressive Dynamics 55 amp model
- 1500 Watt Thor inverter added (modified sine wave).
- Thor (Go-Power) Transfer switch added
- All main wiring replaced and new circuits added with heavier gauged wire.
- By-pass alternator charge Actuator and emergency "jump" system added.
- Various powered vent fans, TV, backup cameras, etc added.

My plan:

Approx 400 watts solar power
Approx 250 amp hr lith. batteries
Use of SC-2030 for solar charge control (attachs to bogart TM-2030 Bat Monitor already installed).
Replace Progressive Dynamics charger to a 70 amp converter that work with lith batts.

Challenges:

Roof top addition using ridged panels may cause handling problems on a 17' van.
Costs.
Alt feed to batts may need disconnected.

Attachments

• RV Photo Bed View from Passenger Seat.jpg
    RV Photo Bed View from Passenger Seat.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 34
  • RV Photo Under Bed.jpg
    RV Photo Under Bed.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 35
  • RV Upgrade Battery Bay Under  Bed.jpg
    RV Upgrade Battery Bay Under Bed.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 33
  • RV Upgrade Converter Circuit  Breaker View.jpg
    RV Upgrade Converter Circuit Breaker View.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 34
  • RV Van Photo Outside of Drop  Door.jpg
    RV Van Photo Outside of Drop Door.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 33
  • RVUpgrade  Transfer  Switch Inside View.jpg
    RVUpgrade Transfer Switch Inside View.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 33
  • RV Electrical Automatic Transfer  Switch Schematic 5-31-2019.jpg
    RV Electrical Automatic Transfer Switch Schematic 5-31-2019.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 34
  • RV Electrical Schematic  5-31-2019.jpg
    RV Electrical Schematic 5-31-2019.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 36
  • RV Van Photo Inside Below Bed Drop Panel Door.jpg
    RV Van Photo Inside Below Bed Drop Panel Door.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks. At the moment I am attempting to select the DIY battery options and BMS choices. I've looked at the various recommendations and looked at most of the related videos. Of particular challenge is to sort through all the Aliexpress choices...attempting to determine which are legit and which are too good to be true.

Will keep folks posted on progress.

Week One... advice and comments welcome.

- Solar Panels. Did measurements on Van Roof. Just enough room for three solar panels. Two of them 210 W each (approx) and one 180W (approx). Install would create 600w solar power. Two brands impress me: Newpowa and Grape Solar. Newpowa will likely be first choice, depending on exact ft.

- Solar Controller Selection. I have alternative choices (so far). First choice is to install two Bogart 30A PWM controllers. The Bogart SC's are limited to 30A each, so the load panels will be split into two banks, between the two controllers. The advantage is the two SC's are designed to link to the installed Bogart TM2030 battery monitor display. The disadvantage, Bogarts are not MPPT. Alternative choice, Victron 50 MPPT solar controller, using one controller for all three panels.

- Lithium Battery. Looking at one or two 280 EVE batteries. However also interested in other options that might lower the risk. Still unsure.

- Looking at PD Lithium chargers. Thinking of 90A model, or is that is too high an amp charger or does that matter?

So far...hope to complete planning next week.

Back