diy solar

diy solar

Show us your Rack!

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
The EG4 rack shown to the right is 23.75"L x 24.625"W x 43.375"H and $500. Server Racks generally look slick, but seem pricey.

After watching Will's video, it seemed like we needed a basic design for a customizable low-cost DIY rack that exceeded the
commercial ones and looked slick. There are existing threads on racks, but would like to see some DIY designs with costs.

Superstrut Erector-set Style
My first thought would be 10 gauge Superstrut from HomeDepot, which runs $3/ft. The basic frame and bracing would be:
4x 4' legs, 8x 24" crossbars, or 32' total -- about $100. If you added 12 side pieces to make 6 "shelves", that would be +24'
or a total of 56'/$168. If battery cells rather than rack-battery were used you'd need a shelf (and possibly bottom strut) to support the weight.
1648297434676.png

So what did you do?
Ideally, this thread is to get some discussion going on what members have done, get some costs, and hopefully pictures of your DIY rack!

Last edited:
After pricing out a new server rack big enough for 5 Trophy batteries, I think it just makes sense to build a simple rack out of wood. A 36U server rack with 6 heavy duty shelves is over $1000. Kinda silly, if you ask me..

I’d like to hear more from someone who bought a used server rack (say a Dell rack) and put at least 3 EG4 batteries in… how did you modify to support the weight? How did you add appropriate bus bar? How did you do your cabling?

I am considering a used server rack and would like to know if anyone else has done it. Pictures always helpful too.

I overbuilt this guy using dead tree carcus. Since it's in a room that isn't heated I insulated it and have a heating mat under both the batteries. I'll be adding to it as time goes on. Working well so far!

Attachments

• DSC_0452.jpg
    DSC_0452.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 106
I’d like to hear more from someone who bought a used server rack (say a Dell rack) and put at least 3 EG4 batteries in… how did you modify to support the weight? How did you add appropriate bus bar? How did you do your cabling?

I am considering a used server rack and would like to know if anyone else has done it. Pictures always helpful too.

I don't have an answer, but the racks that can hold full length servers we can speculate a bit. A 2U server full of mechanical disks, two power supplies and such may climb above 25 Kg each. 48U racks usually are sturdy beasts. The smaller racks might be tricky for they might be commercialized for networking equipment which usually is lighter than servers.
As a rule of thumb I would look for full length 24U racks. I don't know how heavy those EG4 batteries really are.
Regards!

I like the rack holding server batteries vertical, good job. How much for the material used to build?

I like the rack holding server batteries vertical, good job. How much for the material used to build?
It was less than $150. It’s just 2x4’s and brackets you can buy at big box stores. After pricing server racks with shelves big enough, I quickly moved away from that idea. This is more compact, anyway. Took me an afternoon to build.

It was less than $150. It’s just 2x4’s and brackets you can buy at big box stores. After pricing server racks with shelves big enough, I quickly moved away from that idea. This is more compact, anyway. Took me an afternoon to build.
Okay, good to know of other alternatives, like the yellow rack Will showed in his video.

Thanks for the information.

Vertical cantilevered wall mount rack.
Not sure if the support system can truly be classified as "cantilevered" from a static/dynamic sense of the word, but the thinking out-of-the-rack creativity and CADD-to-product brilliance is irrefutable. Well done!

I want to make a castor-wheel rack that's like a workbench, but made to hold the batteries on the bottom and the inverters mounted to the backboard. I can wire it up and chain it to the wall of my garage, but if I ever wanted to move it I could just wheel it into the back of a trailer.

There is a $200, 10,000 lb (2,500 lb per shelf), Member's Mark 4-Shelf Industrial Storage Rack, that is occasionally available if you're lucky, at Sam's Club. 77" W x 24" D x 72" H

I thought of it when Will showed his new yellow shelves, but didn't mention it as I've never actually seen them in stock. I happened to find and purchase two this morning.

If using server rack batteries, I think most people want to have their batteries oriented display side up, not sideways, if only for aesthetic reasons. Some manufacturers say it's okay to have them sideways, others say no. I'm not really convinced that the server rack form factor is the ideal size, but at least the 19" width is some kind of standard.

Back