diy solar

diy solar

Show us your Rack!

Do you have a link? Thanks.
They sell on Amazon, etc. I got mine from a local distributor.

Did you notice any improvement in current sharing or was it about the same?
So, what, exactly, is the expectation one should have regarding current sharing amongst larger server rack batteries? I have noticed they stay balanced until a big load hits, then they go way out of whack.

Did you notice any improvement in current sharing or was it about the same?
Adding four more just added more differences. I wonder if the lower temperature at the bottom cause a larger variance than cable length?

The newest are the two at the bottom of each bank. I might have to get a 'Cabinetizer' and swap them around to try that theory.

Screenshot_20220912-201613_DuckDuckGo.png
Were those custom glass doors?
Yes the plexiglass shield was cut to fit. It'd be nice to have swinging doors, but winter is coming and that's the woodroom. Plus there are lots of other projects on the list.

Last edited:
View attachment 111603
Full size 20MB shot could only be linked.

I used heat shrink on the busbars and covered those extra terminals with furniture leg levelers and some 5/8" ID grommets.

More info and pix can be found in my about:member section.

I see you are using a wood enclosure. I have built a wood rack.

Just wondering everyone’s thought about the use of wood.

A caution from SS: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/lifepo4-battery-site-fire-safety.36695/

My thoughts are applying a fire retardant on the wood.

Looking for any opinions on best products out there for this.

Here are a couple of examples:

A caution from SS: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/lifepo4-battery-site-fire-safety.36695/

I built a heavy duty wood workbench, two shelves, 30" x 84", covered in cement board. It holds 143kWh or 2000 lbs. Glued and screwed. $300.

Well, of course, they sell metal racks!!

Well, of course, they sell metal racks!!
Ya, I understand that. The installer that I bought my LifePO4 batteries from said they were perfectly safe and gave me the thumbs up on my in home installation. Since then, I have been reading a lot of cautions posted here. So that is why I’m thinking about treating wood with a fire retardant and looking for any experience with the products out there.

Thanks.

Ya, I understand that. The installer that I bought my LifePO4 batteries from said they were perfectly safe and gave me the thumbs up on my in home installation. Since then, I have been reading a lot of cautions posted here. So that is why I’m thinking about treating wood with a fire retardant and looking for any experience with the products out there.

Thanks.
I’ve use a material called Fire-proof before in my generator shed. Have no idea if it works for battery fires. My impression is that they burn super hot. I’m a lot more concerned about my inverter, which I mounted on flame proof board. That thing gets pretty hot when it’s cranking at full wattage.

I’m a lot more concerned about my inverter,
I "stood-off" my inverter from the backer by 3.5 inches (An alum clad 2 x 4) at the top and the bottom (an MPP LV6548 so it's only 60# or so) to allow for airflow behind the unit and to keep the hot bits from actually resting against anything.

20231120_052601.jpgi got a good price on this semi used server rack. It is 18U (27 inch deep) and I am planning to house four Pytes v5 batteries. I have lots of questions though. The bottom is open. How will it hold the 400 pounds of batteries?

I called the Lowell mfg of the server and they sell a base that can hold 1400 pounds, but it is about $400. I decided just to buy some $35 Caster wheels that can support the weight and add them.

I am thinking I can take unistrut and make a base that sits on the metal floor? Then I can sit the Pytes batteries on that? I could also secure the batteries additionally with the ears of the server rack batteries? However, I am concerned that the weight directly on the bent sheet metal will be far too much for the design. I need to get the battery weight distributed onto the Caster wheels

Since the rack is deeper than the 21 inch batteries, I should have some space to add some linear bus bars. I could do what David poz did in his YouTube by attaching the bus bars to some cutting boards and then securing that to the inner rails of the server rack?

Attachments

• 20231120_203902.jpg
    20231120_203902.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20231120_052552.jpg
    20231120_052552.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 4
Not sure how I missed this thread. I'm already designing V2.0 in my head. Plan is to parallel the 230ah cells together (2p16s) and make room for them on 1 shelf then add 32 more envision 305ah.
I'll be sure to leave more room to work, this one went together in layers... Servicing will be a major pita.
Some wip pics, never did take a finished one, then again these projects are never 'finished'.
IMG_20231031_203300__01.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231017_195932.jpg
    IMG_20231017_195932.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20231112-174312.jpg
    Screenshot_20231112-174312.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 7
Back