diy solar

diy solar

Showing 3.3 amps on meter but very little thru control.....?

Alpha-y2k

So my suspicion is my panel/panels are going out.
I've had the harbour freight 100 watt kit for 3.5 years.

My controller that came with the kit went bad, so I bought a Renogy 40a 12/24v controller.

I am currently using a new 35ah agm harbour freight battery.

The control over the past week has been showing 3.0 - .08 amps coming in with a strong 21v incoming. My floating or resting is 12.7 - 12.9 with full of 13.1, which I have only seen 2 times. This has had me concerned so I've been keeping a close eye on things, and noticed the battery ever so gradually going down. Woke up last night to a lowe/no battery error code on the controller so it has been depleting, just at slow rate. It's as if my panels are barely (IF at all) keeping up.
A lot of times I see .08 -1.0, and at times 2.0, rarely do I see 3.0 thru the controller.

This is where I'm confused. Today was a no clouds, very sunny day. At around 12 noon I decided to break out the meter and check things. I got 21v incoming as always, but my amps at that time were 3.3a. Compared to 5.x that's avg incoming that's about maybe half of what I'm supposed to get.
Even more odd is while the meter said 3.3a steady, the controller was reading 2.0 - 1.8, that's a pretty big differece in amps.

I've checked all my connections, everything is clean.

So I'm confused. Why is the meter saying 3.3a while the controller is saying 2.0 -1.8a? Is that normal to have a difference between the two like that?

Also if the 100watt panels AREgoing bad, is this a symptom of that?

I'm looking around at panels but this has my curiosity up, as well as my learning still.

So my suspicion is my panel/panels are going out.
I've had the harbour freight 100 watt kit for 3.5 years.

My controller that came with the kit went bad, so I bought a Renogy 40a 12/24v controller.

I am currently using a new 35ah agm harbour freight battery.

The control over the past week has been showing 3.0 - .08 amps coming in with a strong 21v incoming. My floating or resting is 12.7 - 12.9 with full of 13.1

No way that battery is fully charged. Most AGM need to charge to 14.4V or so and float at 13.6V. If left for several hours after charging, they will settle to 12.9-13.0V resting.

which I have only seen 2 times. This has had me concerned so I've been keeping a close eye on things, and noticed the battery ever so gradually going down. Woke up last night to a lowe/no battery error code on the controller so it has been depleting, just at slow rate. It's as if my panels are barely (IF at all) keeping up.
A lot of times I see .08 -1.0, and at times 2.0, rarely do I see 3.0 thru the controller.

This is where I'm confused. Today was a no clouds, very sunny day. At around 12 noon I decided to break out the meter and check things. I got 21v incoming as always, but my amps at that time were 3.3a. Compared to 5.x that's avg incoming that's about maybe half of what I'm supposed to get.
Even more odd is while the meter said 3.3a steady, the controller was reading 2.0 - 1.8, that's a pretty big differece in amps.

What are the Renogy charge voltages?

I've checked all my connections, everything is clean.

So I'm confused. Why is the meter saying 3.3a while the controller is saying 2.0 -1.8a? Is that normal to have a difference between the two like that?

One or both of them are wrong.

No way that battery is fully charged. Most AGM need to charge to 14.4V or so and float at 13.6V. If left for several hours after charging, they will settle to 12.9-13.0V resting.

What are the Renogy charge voltages?

One or both of them are wrong.
The meter showed 3.3a steady, the Renogy controller was showing 2.0 (at best) at that time.
A lot of times when I look at the controller I see .08/.09 amps, which says it's not even giving a full amp.

I agree that it wasn't/is not getting a full charge. Agm is not lithium but it still should get better than 12.7 -12.9.

Multiple factors tells me my panels are just giving up.

I have a 50ah lithium battery and it's been drained twice in the past 1.5 months. That's when I bought the 35ah agm battery new to see if it was my battery or the panels.
The controller is also brand new.

Being as both batteries now have died or come close to it, tells me that my panels are the only thing left either 1 or all

I can't hardly believe a new battery, a new controller would all go bad, the only thing I have not changed is my panels.

The chances of all 4 panels going out are slim. I have not checked each panel individually yet I've been checking at the box. Even still 3.3 amps incoming in the middle of the day, no clouds no shade, isn't that a still low?

Update:
It's the panels. I tested all four.
One was at 1.8a, the other three were at .08a. Mind you this was at 6:30 pm and overcast, but still should be better than even 1.8,maybe 2.0 at the least. DEFINITELY should be better than the .08a. Any panels doing that little, may as well have no panels at that point.

Time for a replacement

Last edited:
Back