diy solar

diy solar

ShunBin Battery Packs: 12V/24V 100AH and up ! A Complete RIP-OFF ! AVOID

Thanks Delta-V. Very MUCH Appreciated yet again. I must say, looking at that soldering, looks like something I did when I was a kid playin with my first Heath Zenith kit.... Sloppy, messy & "fugly" ! Too bad there is no way to know what that BMS is but it seriously looks like something knocked together in a basement somewhere... I searched for the batteries and had no real luck BUT SolarRat came to the rescue there !

UPS Tracking says mine will arrive next Tuesday. The tear apart will happen shortly afterwards and before being connected to my system. I guess I better start pondering a BMS , not something I wanted to do but....

Those transistors look like salvages. It's always possible they matched them hence the mix of production batches, but I'm guessing not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, these are still the best bang for the buck even though the battery was not a full 400ah right? I ordered the 500 and it should arrive Nov 24-28

@Delta-V IMO you still got a really good deal on a 24V 348AH battery. The fact that you were able to get 100% capacity speaks for pretty well matched and balanced cells. I looked up the BMS IC specs, from BYD, and it looks like a decent simple BMS design, without fancy bells and whistles, but capable of doing the job. While MOSFETs soldering seems sloppy, it is reinforced with copper bars and solder blobs to carry heavy currents.
Bottom line, even though it's not a brand name and not UL listed battery, it's actually pretty good for what you paid for it, you should be satisfied.
I don't get it when people expect to pay basement bargain prices and get a highly engineered and executed product.
You essentially paid for 16x 174AH cells in a box, everything else is a bonus.
I recommend to set your inverter/charger Low/High cutoffs to a conservative level, so BMS never has to intervene and so your cells are used to 80%-90% in a typical cycle, this way you will enjoy them for many years to come.

Correct me if I'm wrong, these are still the best bang for the buck even though the battery was not a full 400ah right? I ordered the 500 and it should arrive Nov 24-28
IMO, I "feel" it's still a good deal as electric says in his post. Mine is "supposed" to arrive tomorrow according to UPS Tracking, it will b unpacked and opened for a gander inside.... the rest ? shall be determined.

My only concern is the BMS (aside from sloppy solder work) and that has been bothering me, as I live I Cold Country & a low temp cutoff is critical fault prevention in the event something goes wrong. I've been leaning towards TinyBMS because of the features & capabilities but I would go with Daly because may use them but they do not have some features I would like...

I suppose as a comparison, 8 Battleborn batteries would cost about twice as much for comparable capacity. Or, a couple of those used BYD 24v 4+ kWh battery boxes that recently came about, would go for about half the price, assuming there's any still available.

Aside from the lower total capacity, the battery has been working as expected. The BMS is balancing the cells, both high & low voltage cut-offs have been working. Also, it's in a metal box and came with a charger. I live in Florida, so I didn't have any concern for temperature cut-offs.

Although, I am bummed by the marketing misrepresentation, the BMS looks almost like someone drove over it with a car a few times, and the cells may not be new with all of the hand-written writing on them (seemingly matching the cell voltages). And, they made it a point to cover the cells with fiberglass pieces, hot glue, and caulk to discourage one from seeing how it was all put together. We'll have to see how it does over time.

Guess we'll see if others receive something similar with a similar experience.

I’ve ordered the 12v 500ah version to pair with my MPP all-in-one inverter charger in my small RV. For low temp cutoff I’m going to wire in a high current relay controlled by a 12v temp controller:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019I3YCFS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_As10DbZZ65GBS

I’ll simply set the controller to “cool” to 3 degrees C. Below 3 degrees the controller will open the relay. 12v loads can still be powered since the relay will be on the inverter power wire only. I’ll just lose the charging and inverter until the temp is back within limits. It’ll also give me a nice display of the battery temperature. Total cost around $30. I also live in (North) Florida, but I’d rather just do it right the first time and be 100% safe.

\\ WOOHOO // it arrived !

Just like Delta-V, the manufacturer packed the main LFP Pack into a Styrofoam cooler and went crazy on tape, actually brilliant idea to prevent damage to the casing etc... 24v/400AH Pack weight is 71 Kilograms / 156 Pounds ! Here are the first set of photo's for the ever curious. I have not torn into it yet but likely will. I did open it right away as I noticed a wee 'dint' in the top so wanted to determine why, the NEG line off the BMS sits proud on the mounting and that resulted in the little dent, while it is okay and there is no fear of contact to the stainless casing because of the protection sheeting (the yellow sheeting is a fiberglass / plastic isolator). Everything is super well secured and the amount of glue & sealant used is extensive everywhere.

LFP-Charger.jpg LFP-Charger-2.jpg LFP-Shipping-pkg-2.jpg LFP-Shipping-pkg.jpg

LFP-ShunBin-TopFront.jpg LFP-ShunBin-TopView-2.jpg LFP-ShunBin-TopView.jpg LFP-ShunBin-BMS.jpg

Holy CARP ! Over 1,000 Views on this thread ! Seems folks are Interested and curious... Wonder if anyone at ShunBin knows or is watching ? Will they have the brass to chime in and identify themselves ?

Last edited:
...24v/400AH Pack weight is 71 Kilograms / 156 Pounds !

...And that is why I instead opted to purchase the two 12v / 400AH units for the same price. 156lbs makes for a might unwieldy beast! This also provides the option of use in 12v or 24v .

Last edited:
I knew it was going to be heavy but I dunno why, I thought it was going to be 30kg / 65lbs or so (guess I saw that on one of their descriptions & it stuck ). Size is no problem but "manhandling" it is no fun at all. I had planned to set it up one way BUT because of the weight and such, I'm having a rethink and may have to build something so I can have this where I want it. Right now, I am just letting it thaw out in the house because it's seriously cold (not frozen) before I do any more with the pack. After lunch, planning a shelf & doing some reno-updates for it.

I just ordered a Balmar SG200 battery monitor today. Looking forward to hearing Steve's actual AH capacity. This may be the best solution for off grid out there (can't get Tesla PW in Cabo). Hoping my 12V 500ah arrives next week.

\\ WOOHOO // it arrived !

Just like Delta-V, the manufacturer packed the main LFP Pack into a Styrofoam cooler and went crazy on tape, actually brilliant idea to prevent damage to the casing etc... 24v/400AH Pack weight is 71 Kilograms / 156 Pounds ! Here are the first set of photo's for the ever curious. I have not torn into it yet but likely will. I did open it right away as I noticed a wee 'dint' in the top so wanted to determine why, the NEG line off the BMS sits proud on the mounting and that resulted in the little dent, while it is okay and there is no fear of contact to the stainless casing because of the protection sheeting (the yellow sheeting is a fiberglass / plastic isolator). Everything is super well secured and the amount of glue & sealant used is extensive everywhere.

View attachment 2280 View attachment 2281 View attachment 2283 View attachment 2282

View attachment 2285 View attachment 2287 View attachment 2286 View attachment 2284

Holy CARP ! Over 1,000 Views on this thread ! Seems folks are Interested and curious... Wonder if anyone at ShunBin knows or is watching ? Will they have the brass to chime in and identify themselves ?

Excellent! Looks just like what I have. It looks like you even have a bigger charger, 50A. The charger I received only does 30A.

It would be nice if those are 200AH cells in there.

Steve said: 156 Pounds.... I drool over those weights, my AGMs (900 Ah ) 2v cells weigh that much and a bit more...
Waiting to see how they perform at startup and after 1 yr. They truly may be good value for money spent.

Steve said: 156 Pounds.... I drool over those weights, my AGMs (900 Ah ) 2v cells weigh that much and a bit more...
Waiting to see how they perform at startup and after 1 yr. They truly may be good value for money spent.
When I first went to lift the LifePO pack my back immediately remembered the manhandling of the Rolls Batteries which are 120 lbs a pop, X8... ugh.

Excellent! Looks just like what I have. It looks like you even have a bigger charger, 50A. The charger I received only does 30A.
It would be nice if those are 200AH cells in there.
I let the pack sit because it arrived and was extremely cold and I felt it best to let it fully warm up / thaw out thoroughly before dong anything. The two charger's are mounted to a single aluminium plate (thing was wrapped in 20' of stretchy plastic... geez) I noted that I got 50A and you got 30A, how odd. I had asked if they would make it with a 150A bms rather than 100A but that was after I placed the order and don't know if they did or not.

UGH ! Something I really don't like
- No Documentation of any sort included. no specs, no details, built sheet, nothing. No info on the charger(s) either. No company or warranty info.
- The BMS is mounted in such a way, that the NEG Lug on it stands proud, with the lid on, it puts some strain / pressure on the PCB (never a good thing) causing it to push down a bit. They KNEW THIS and their solution was to put a lot of "white goop" over the lug and then cover over it with a double piece of that fiberglass(?) insulator.
-- SERIOUSLY, How hard would it be to toss in a Photocopy of a spec sheet, charge profile info and when filling out the assembly label (only item on it) could put what the BMS Amperage is etc...

Couple of things I like right off:
- Case is Stainless Steel, strong & durable, well made, solid handles (thank goodness at 71kg they got to be).
- Everything is well secured & glued down / fixed to prevent any movement, even all the connectors are sealed in.
---- CON, lot's of glue & sealant, not very 'tidy' but that's just minor.... all wires & connections seems to be very well secured though, something that not all companies do, actually. (thinking of Will's recent tear downs (not the battleborn - they are awesome IMO)
- The Cells and assembly is quite snug but not overly tight and there is isolator sheeting (fiberglass(?)) on all sides internally around the cells.

@Delta-V I have to ask, did you come up with any trick to soften up that white glue sealant stuff ? Seems they also used some kind of epoxy in a few places as well, I don't want to break anything as I want to "gently" take it apart to examine it. Also I no longer have any of my testing equipment & tools I used to for electronics works (was all destroyed) so I am limited to what I can do to test the pack. I would rather test this "outside" of my running solar system before I incorporate it, which creates a few other issues as I want to keep the FLA side (bank-1) going for as long as I can... that may be another thread I think. Suggestions on load testing etc it simply would be helpful, all I have a decent DVOM. no extra funds to buy a pile of gear either.

EDIT: 09:30 hrs
I have been searching for info on the Charger setup. While it looks like a Meanwell (many do) it's labelled as "LED Power S600-12" and the only other label has Kejian" on it but everything else is in Chinese on that so.... I can't find "LED Power or Kejian" using google or duckduckgo so I dunno what to think about that, other than being a tad unimpressed.

Last edited:
Well, I opened up the battery a bit more today. Discovered a disappointing revelation. Each of the cells are only 174 AH instead of the expected 200 AH (174 x 2 = 348 AH instead of 400 AH). Which explains why I'm not getting the total capacity I was expecting for a 400 AH battery. This falls in line with the output I've been getting, though. So, it looks like the marketing was rounded up.

24V x 348 AH = 8,352 Watts potential
25.6V x 348 AH = 8,908 Watts potential (24V Nominal)

I couldn't reasonably get any of the cells out without tearing it apart any further. The BMS doesn't have a model number that I could tell.

Some pics below.
Will has a wonderful site here.
Please use his image host, not a link to images hosted on a sharing site.

Back