diy solar

diy solar

ShunBin Battery Packs: 12V/24V 100AH and up ! A Complete RIP-OFF ! AVOID

Thanks for the response. Hopefully we'll get more data from others, and form some semblance of a consensus, because we can't expect good info from the seller.

I have a 400ah, 384ah (bought 400ah) and 200ah 12v batteries. I had issues that caused voltage spikes and balance issues. I replaced their BMS with a 130amp Bluetooth and added active balancers. I have not done offical capacity testing but I have drawn them down 10kw at one time without getting below 12.8v so I'm pretty happy for now. I, unlike some people, lucked out. I doubt these batteries are anywhere new, they lie. If you remove the plastic yellow boards, you will discover all sorts of scary things like missing plastic that is normally found on prismatic cells.. The pictures they show on Amazon don't have any white goop all over the batteries.. The battery tester they use to show it's a "good battery" is for Pb, car batteries. I'll never buy from them again or recommend anyone to do the same.

My three 12v 500ah batteries are still working fine. I will be driving from Mexico to California in two days to replace the BMS that has arrived.

So Steve S has built a better setup at a cheaper price? Steve I assume you looked up prices and quality of the product? Since I have to solder in a new BMS, I'm very interested in making my own battery packs now. Still think that BattleBorn is way out of my price range for off grid electricity but I absolutely love having LiFePO4 so far. How is it working out Steve? I guess I will have to read/watch how to DIY.

My three 12v 500ah batteries are still working fine. I will be driving from Mexico to California in two days to replace the BMS that has arrived.

So Steve S has built a better setup at a cheaper price? Steve I assume you looked up prices and quality of the product? Since I have to solder in a new BMS, I'm very interested in making my own battery packs now. Still think that BattleBorn is way out of my price range for off grid electricity but I absolutely love having LiFePO4 so far. How is it working out Steve? I guess I will have to read/watch how to DIY.
The "original" pack with 16 cells got upgraded with a Chargery BMS8T and eliminated the crap wire but that did help it was far from right. The paired cells just will not behave that way. I am now changing it up and building 2, 24V/175AH 8S packs each with a Chargery BMS with Balancing ON during Charge & Discharge. With the original config but BMS8T the pack worked but had issues when I tore into it I discovered that some of the parallel cells were quite a bit off from their neighbour. Given the huge difference, I believe that 3 cells are actually duds which I will have to try & find replacements for (not hopeful). I will have to build boxes for the packs which I am going to make identical to the ones I make for the 280AH cells but sized for these particular cells.

A little tip, with the BMS harness for the cells, I suggest crimping on the appropriate sized Tinned Terminal Ring and then a light dab of electronics solder and heat shrink over the connection point to guarantee the best connection possible. A picky point some may disagree with but it is suggested by BMS makers, if you need to lengthen the BMS Harness, extend them all to be the same length and test each wire to ensure you have a good connection through it. BTW: Barrel Connectors are NOT GOOD, better to make a good solid soldered connection, then heat-shrink wrap over it.

TIP: Use ONLY Rosin Core Electronics Solder, the core provides just enough flux to make a good flow and there are no acids in it (like plumbing solder which is horrible for electronics)

NOTE: After the Shunbin Nightmare I realized that it would not cut it and I could / would not trust it. I am off-grid and deep rural and depend on it for life up here, so I bought 16, 280AH EVE Cells to build my two 24V/280AH packs for a total of 24V/560AH from that pair. The 16-280AH cells cost me USD 2,433.32 delivered all-inclusive. The BMS setup came out to roughly $150 USD each. The Shunbin mess cost $3,000 USD for 24V/175AH.

As for my attention to the nitty-gritty, after the Shunbin nightmare, I engaged my full on Virgo Anal Retentive mode and did due diligence in my quest. I have no qualms or issues and the 280' are bang on and no issues at all.

Hope it helps answer some questions.
Good Luck, Have Fun & Stay Safe !
Steve

I am testing a 200ah pack in my caravan. I have had 2.3kwh from them so far. I’m living off grid so it’s real!
i am drawing about 1.3kwh per day minimum, 420 watts of solar in Uk.
looking at discharge curve...to judge my capacity I measure under 80a load the voltage at battery terminal... and it seems that when I read 12.xxVolts the xx indicates approximate percentage Left in battery. Anyone else use similar tactic ?

I don't have this battery, but the vendor I bought mine from emailed me the documnetation when I requested it before purchase.

They will probably send it to you if you inquire.
i have shunbin 200ah and did not get charging profile can you send the info you may have to me?

So I wired in the new BMS from ShunBin. Hooked up the charger that comes with the batteries and within 15 seconds I could smell burnt insulation. The battery terminals got hot. So that's it......cannot take the battery back to Mexico. I will message ShunBin again (sent him photos of the BMS). So I drove 3200 miles and it's not working correctly right? I mean I burnt my fingers!!

So I wired in the new BMS from ShunBin. Hooked up the charger that comes with the batteries and within 15 seconds I could smell burnt insulation. The battery terminals got hot. So that's it......cannot take the battery back to Mexico. I will message ShunBin again (sent him photos of the BMS). So I drove 3200 miles and it's not working correctly right? I mean I burnt my fingers!!
Geez that sucks, I assume it was just another PCB board with no instructions, no interface of any type right ?
So what got hot ? The wire ends or lugs ? Possible weak crimp ?

The outer lugs where I connected the charger. For sure black to black red to red. It did charge a hair but the plastic by the outer lugs would have melted if I didn't disconnect. I doubt I have two bad BMS. I must order a new battery from Mexico.

The outer lugs where I connected the charger. For sure black to black red to red. It did charge a hair but the plastic by the outer lugs would have melted if I didn't disconnect. I doubt I have two bad BMS. I must order a new battery from Mexico.
Well, TBH, I can't see the cells causing this unless one was completely fubar internally and I think that would be fairly obvious to spot as it would likely be deformed somehow. The BMS could have been static charge shorted too, it is afterall just a PCB board.

Did you replace the BATT wire from the cells to the terminal locks for the battery posts ?
I know you more than likely double checked all your crimps & connections, test for resistance & continuity ? (I know dumb Q but gotta ask)
Here's an UGH... Did you check the voltages & resistance of the cells in the pack ? (Bus Bars OFF), if you do have a nasty cell, better to find it.
Did you replace the BMS to Battery cell Harness or just reuse that which was there ? If reused, did you check each wire to make sure they were still good ? GOTCHA here though, not knowing exactly what cells are in there and no spec sheet on them, what the resistance is and should be is unknown. By closely examining the scratched serial numbers & scratched QR Codes, I was able to determine that my cells with AYOUPOWER

I realize you probably did not pop the cells out of the casing and did not cut / undo the strapping used to bundle the cells together (they will likely expand when released) and would probably make refitting into the stainless casing next to impossible. CAUTION IF YOU PONDER DOING IT !

BTW, I did manage to eventually track down what cells I got, they came from http://www.aoyoupower.com/ but the site is not easy to reach and requires translation from Chinese. That doesn't necessarily mean you got these though.

My buddy had trouble with my 24V Shunbin battery box up at our recreation camp. He brought it back home so I could take a look at it. I did full maintenance on it. In the end, it's still working well.

What happened was he drained the battery all the way to 0%. Looks like the BMS low-voltage shutdown activated before the Inverter low-voltage shutdown, which was set to 21V. The solar charge controller wasn't charging (during good Sunlight). He also tried to charge it with a generator, but it wasn't charging back up. I had to touch the negative battery terminal to the P- of the BMS to wake it back up. The voltage then showed correct at the terminals and it would charge normal as expected. The DROK meter read 8.9Kw used when I did my initial inspection, so it looks like the capacity is still decent. I don't think any real harm was done. I just need to adjust the settings on the inverter to cut-off before the BMS does. Glad the BMS did it's job, though.

I completely dismantled the battery box. Each of the cells are still good (no dead cells). I was able to replicate the low-voltage cut-off issue then I bottom-balanced the pack to 2.3V per cell (rested). The voltages had varied quite a bit across all 16 cells. Probably why the BMS shutdown before the inverter. I'm guessing the BMS reacted to the cell with the lowest voltage even though the overall pack voltage was probably still over 21V.

The cells do expand. I have 3 of them that pillowed out a bit. I had unstrapped my cells a while back and opted to leave them unstrapped. When I bottom-balanced them I stacked the cells horizontally on top of each other and added weights on top to use gravity to try flattening them out a bit. They did when they were empty. Though, when I top-balanced them they pillowed out a bit when fully charged. Had a hard time squeezing in the last cell when putting them back in the box. I'm not too concerned leaving them unstrapped.

I had a minor puff of smoke on the BMS when I was connecting the wire harness (after bottom-balancing). I saw the smoke right-off and disconnected the wire harness. Turns out I had a couple of the red positive wires in the wrong order. Doesn't look like I damaged it. Low-voltage cut-off still works and each of the LED's on the BMS would light up when the voltage went above 3.60V an each of the cells. I top-balanced all the cells in parallel to 3.599V (rested).

I just finished top-balancing the battery last night. Running my home office on it now to make sure everything is staying balanced.

The battery appears to be working as expected now. I'll be bringing it back to our recreational camp in the next week.

Just gotta have my buddy check the battery voltage periodically to make sure he doesn't run it down so low again, ha ha.

I am in trouble. I replaced the SHUNBIN BMS as stated above. I drove it down 1600 miles to Mexico so I could swap out a known good SHUNBIN battery and the damn thing still gets super hot. Once again dumbass SHUNBIN say's oh that is normal. I'm telling you it is NOT normal otherwise the others would do it. I just gave him a mouthful and I'm going to have to return it if I can. Is there anyway to test individual cells? I guess since the other three work correctly, I will crack open one and make sure it's wired the same. Maybe they got a neg/pos switched around. How many months have I had to deal with this? TWO 3200 mile round trips to Cabo San Lucas. STEVE S I DID NOT DO THE TROUBLESHOOTING YOU MENTIONED YET. I"m too busy building a house and driving two/from for lights, garage doors, etc, etc

The battery nor the cells should get "HOT". Now if you were pushing say 200A (whatever max amps it could take) then that would warm up the cells... That is natural BUT that BMS won't allow that kind of charging, nor heavy discharge that would cause that effect.

If Neg & Pos were switched you would have know that INSTANTLY and there would have been no doubt that something was most seriously screwed up.

On my pack, they used aluminium busbars, they were properly drilled & holes were nicely chamfered so there were no burrs or such issues that could cause bad connections. But even a loose connection, could and would cause heat via arcing.

A discovery when I completely disassembled the original pack and split the cells up to make two 174AH packs out of their 16 cells. The cells which had the plastic covering removed has non-conductive insulator pads between them. 3 cells in the original shunbin pack had no covering. I verified that the cell casing itself is neither (-) or (+) so these can't short in that manner (not all cells are manufactured that way, apparently {I don't believe that but some have that ideation}) As a result I used isolators when I reassembled the packs. * I also had to use heavy duty clamps to "block & square" he cells up nicely prior to re-binding them together for assembly into their new boxes, the collective cell bloat came to almost 1/2" for 8 cells, so some mild compression, allowed to sit for an hour, a tad more compression till flattened and voila, all good. (relatively).

Hi Steve,

new on this us portal but have read your thread about shunbin accu unfortunatly to late, have the same experience and try to get back some money for the less of Ah the accu provide, the provider has until today 16 pm MEZ time to accept my solution, otherwise i will wrote in every forum, on amazon us, ca, d, all over europe, here in that US Forum, the german RV Forum and of cause alibaba my experiences with that supplier. Have 2 x 400 Ah 12V accu and the discharge is from full (14,3V) to undervoltage protection of BMS with 10,25V 357 Ah, so again 174 Ah cells with scratched QR Codes and Serial Numbers, as in all the other cases. I will keep you informed and sorry for some mistakes in writing, but i am from germany and not a native speaker, so sorry for that ;-)

Kind regards

Attachments

• D5B016AE-2754-4E18-9694-E770D6D502AF.jpeg
    D5B016AE-2754-4E18-9694-E770D6D502AF.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 24E2C3B5-9F0D-41ED-BF5C-F2F503E78E64.png
    24E2C3B5-9F0D-41ED-BF5C-F2F503E78E64.png
    359.7 KB · Views: 8
Not only myself but a few others have posted NEGATIVE REVIEWS on Amazon about ShunBin, many have (y)those reviews but seems that there are people skipping over those reviews and still getting "suckered" by these Frauds. I am sorry to hear about your misadventure. One of our other members @Delta-V who also bought a ShunBin pack back in November / December 2019 or so, just reported in another thread that the BMS just up & died and apparently not well. How this company manages to continue selling their junk I don't know.

I agree with you and the problem is, that you not look at any pages where the supplier offers the product, look at me, my fault ;-) But now this company has one customer more, that will in germany make the sales more difficult than he can imagin.

I added the protokoll of the charging process after i have discharged complete, as we can see 359,4 Ah. We have to decrease the amount of Ah about 3,7 Ah (Smart Shunt and Color GX Panel with 0,2Ah x 18,5h) so the rate of charging AH is more or less the same than discharging. Again these are no 200 Ah cells !

IMG_3661.PNG

Yeah, the BMS in my 24V@400Ah (really 348Ah) Shunbin battery box stopped working a couple weeks back. We were pushing a good amount of power through it, though. Powering a truck shell camper to include the air-conditioner, plus some other accessories lights, fans, and other low-power circuits throughout the camp. Was also charging it at 10A via a gas generator at the same time. The generator was also powering another bigger air-conditioner in another camper, so I figured I'd have the generator also charge the battery a little to slow the drain on the battery box. I'm guessing we were probably pulling 50A - 60A continuous throughout the night. The next day, the voltage was erratic and the battery box wouldn't charge back up.

I ended up bringing the box home to trouble-shoot as I didn't have time since it was near the end of our trip. Damn thing is heavy when you gotta handle it alone! Determined the BMS was the issue. The cells are still strong. I just replaced the BMS with a small cheap 24V@15A BMS, using it for balancing only. The capacity is still right around 9KWh (16 cells x 3.2V x 174Ah each), the actual capacity. So, not a total loss.

Since the original BMS was unmarked and probably used. I'm guessing it was supposed to be a 100A BMS, but it probably couldn't handle half that continuous, with both charging & discharging occurring.

It's unfortunate the company over-marketed the capacity, leading you to believe you were getting a solid new battery system, only to realize you received an under-rated box full of used mismatched cells with low-quality unmarked components. I think they were banking on the idea of no one wanting to have to ship such a heavy thing back, a-half-world-away, for a refund to an unknown company. Plus, knowing we wanted/ needed it in the first place for whatever the reason we decided to buy it. Life's a gamble sometimes.

If you feel you MUST buy this brand, do it through a big name reseller and insist on a money-back guarantee when it's not as described.

When SB demands that you send it back, verify whether you're allowed to do so legally. You'd be surprised at how illegal their shipments may actually be.

If the batteries not labelled accurately for shipment & import / export taxes they're stepping into "that's a no-no" territory.

I have start yesterday a refund application on alibaba.com and will escalate the case to the alibaba dispute team as descibed, will see what happens. My advantage hopefully is, that with a seperate e mail the seller has confirmed, that he send a battery with

Grad A Lishen cells wit QR Code and serial number etc. (no)
400AH 12V (no)
described size (yes)

and if the specification is not what i get, than he had to ship the battery back on his own cost. But i am not a fool, the cost of shipment of LiFePo4 with UPS is more than 400 USD per pice (i have 2 of them) so i guess i have to give the case to my advocate with their chinese representation to push up the pressure, if the negotiation with the dispute team is not satisfying.

Keep you informed if you like.

@Delta-V i have discharged several times wit 50 A so far there was no issue with the BMS but i have observed, that on my fist Battery the cut off for OVP is 14,5V, my secound one has a cut off of 14,1V. The plan was to connect both batteries parallel to have 12V 800AH ( now 696 ;-) ) , i will observe what happens with both BMS when they have to work in parallel. If it dosent work as it should, i woult also change the BMS both to 2 Daly BMS with 200A discharge current, but first we try to clearify the case with the seller and alibaba.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-17 um 07.21.00.png

I have start yesterday a refund application on alibaba.com and will escalate the case to the alibaba dispute team as descibed, will see what happens. My advantage hopefully is, that with a seperate e mail the seller has confirmed, that he send a battery with

Grad A Lishen cells wit QR Code and serial number etc. (no)
400AH 12V (no)
described size (yes)

and if the specification is not what i get, than he had to ship the battery back on his own cost. But i am not a fool, the cost of shipment of LiFePo4 with UPS is more than 400 USD per pice (i have 2 of them) so i guess i have to give the case to my advocate with their chinese representation to push up the pressure, if the negotiation with the dispute team is not satisfying.

Keep you informed if you like.

@Delta-V i have discharged several times wit 50 A so far there was no issue with the BMS but i have observed, that on my fist Battery the cut off for OVP is 14,5V, my secound one has a cut off of 14,1V. The plan was to connect both batteries parallel to have 12V 800AH ( now 696 ;-) ) , i will observe what happens with both BMS when they have to work in parallel. If it dosent work as it should, i woult also change the BMS both to 2 Daly BMS with 200A discharge current, but first we try to clearify the case with the seller and alibaba.
They did eventually refund a Percentage related to the Advertised Capacity vs Actual based on the cell size. I posted what I got returned to me when it happened, if memory serves it was around $400 / $450 CAD but that was after the demands to remove my bad review (which I only edited to say they asked to remove it) and bull hooey.

A Terrible Experience which I hoped people could avoid by seeing the bad reviews on amazon.ca & amazon.com.

As stated before, I was sent a replacement BMS. The positive terminal would still get incredibly hot using my solar setup or the charger. SHUNBIN sent out a 3.6v charger to test every cell. Every cell was able to charge to 3.3v without any heat. I have no idea what to try next. Is there a plug and play BMS that might work? Could it be the + - terminals from the cells to the box exterior? Next time...I'm talking to Steve S for the next solar setup.

Back