diy solar

diy solar

ShunBin Battery Packs: 12V/24V 100AH and up ! A Complete RIP-OFF ! AVOID

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
EDIT OCTOBER 2020 !

WARNING !!! ShunBin IS A RIP OFF ! The sell "Advertise 24V/400AH" What they sent was 24V/350AH with USED / ABUSED 175AH cells.

I did not update this previously on Page 1, because I thought people would look through the thread. Now I learned some are not.

PLEASE AVOID SHUNBIN AT ALL COSTS !

Good Day everyone,

I am starting this thread so those of us who purchased, examined or are using these packs can share their experiences and discoveries in order to help others considering these packs. I had pondered these as well as several other options and due to some of the folks on here and their investigations & experiences, it became a No Brainer for me. I posed 2 questions to the vendor and within 5 minutes they were responded to, even on a Sunday.
- They can be connected Serial / Parallel so it is possible to make a 24V/800AH or 48V/400AH etc... just add a pack and configure accordingly.
- The BMS is self contained and there are no options. I had asked if there was any wifi / Bluetooth or other connectivity like Modbus to monitor / maintain and adjust the BMS packs.
- CELL BRAND USED is Lishen

As of today, (Nov 04) I pulled the trigger on a 24V / 400AH LifePo4 battery pack from ShunBin on Amazon.CA
REF LINK: ShunBin 24V/400AH
USA Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TWD17TZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Added a "formatted" description as retrieved from Amazon to make it more readable.
SUNBIN DESCRIPTION: "Formatted" for readability. you have to love auto translate stuff...

Waterproof 24V lifepo4 battery with Quick charger
* Service life: more than 2000 cycles
* Charging temperature : 0~45
* Discharge temperature : -20 ~ 60
* Storage temperature : -20 ~ 60
* with BMS build-in
Application: electric machine, xenon lamp / searchlight, inverter, handheld devices, wireless communication equipment, monitoring equipment, power equipment, medical instruments, relief equipment, emergency lighting /LED lamps, traffic signs, portable small household appliances, electric tools, automotive and industrial equipment reserve power supply
Waterproof 100Ah 200Ah 300Ah 400Ah 24V lifepo4 battery lifepo4 rechargeable battery Inverter battery for UPS electric car triciclo electrico.
Remark: We offer lithium, lifepo4 and ni-mh battery, accept customized battery pack, we can't update all items here. If any battery you want, please take it easy to contact with me tell me the capacity voltage and size you want, thanks.
Descriptions:
- Nominal voltage : 24V
- Nominal capacity : 100Ah 200Ah 300Ah 400Ah
- The maximum charge current: Less than 50A( can customize)
- Continuous discharge current: 100A (Adjustable on demand)
- Service life: more than 2000 cycles
- Charging temperature : 0~45
- Discharge temperature : -20 ~ 60
- Storage temperature : -20 ~ 45
* Temps in Celsius

Weight : 10KG 20KG 30KG 40KG
Operating voltage range: 10V-14.6V
Battery temperature protection: 60c±5c
Output and parameters: high current positive / negative connecting column (As picture shows)
Battery storage period: 98% power (6 months)
Battery warranty: 12 months (free warranty)
Product advantages: Easy to carry, high capacity, high release platform, long working hours, long life, safety and environmental protection
Application: electric machine, xenon lamp / searchlight, inverter, handheld devices, wireless communication equipment, monitoring equipment, power equipment, medical instruments, relief equipment, emergency lighting /LED lamps, traffic signs, portable small household appliances, electric tools, automotive and industrial equipment reserve power supply Safety
Precaution
1.Do not throw battery into water or make it wet
2.Keep the battery away from heat source
3.Do not throw the battery into fire or heat the battery
4.Forbid to hammer to trample the battery
5.Forbid disassembling the battery in anyway
Package includes : 1pcs 24V High capacity lifepo4 Battery pack, with BMS build-in. 1pcs 14.8V 30A Charger(EU/AU/US/UK plug for you chose)

? Trample ? gotta love that

Thanks in advance for your contributions.
Steve

EDIT: I thought I should post a couple of images my system, which may help explain a lot. Of course this will have to be updated when I switch over battery systems. Going to have to replace the Midnite Battery Monitor too. bugger....
index.php

actual of powerhouse
index.php

The Blue Sea switch shown in this photo is being switched to a 9100E 1,2 & 1&2 combo switch.

Last edited:
Will do, absolutely, I hope that others' will post their experiences with this "Brand" of product too... helps everyone and helping folks to be independent and free from Servitude to Big Power Co, I am all for it !

Those are about HALF the kWh cost of the Lion Energy batteries on sale from Costco (currently sitting in shopping cart). How can these be SO MUCH CHEAPER than any other out there? You can't even build battery banks nearly this cheap.
The only thing that pops into my mind, is that there's a lot more fingers in the pie once, they land on the shores after duties etc are tacked on till they reach the customer. Several other possibilities. I've seen price differences on some products between Canada & USA at 500% ! No sanity to it at all...

Probably as Steve_S indicated ..... from manufacturer to distributor to retailer .... all get a markup. Direct from manufacturer just pay for the included shipping cost. I don't know what % Amazon takes..

Remember that if you have the Amazon Credit Card you get 5% off the purchase. This makes a great deal even better. I'm considering the 400ah 24v unit as well.

I'm sorry guys, I have a question. I have 2 x Flexmax80 charge controllers (80 amp max) each connecting to 12 x 300w panels (15 for rainy day). This will connect to a 48V 7.2kw Outback inverter which I have not ever hooked up yet.

Will the maximum charge current of 100A be a problem for these LiFEPO4's? If it is just a limiter...I'm fine with that. I just don't want to give it too much juice from charge controller. The Kilovault has a max of current charge of 150A which seemed to match the system but it's $$$.

I am willing to roll the dice on a12V 400ah today and test it out with Xantrex 1800W when I get to Cabo this month.

I'm sorry guys, I have a question. I have 2 x Flexmax80 charge controllers (80 amp max) each connecting to 12 x 300w panels (15 for rainy day). This will connect to a 48V 7.2kw Outback inverter which I have not ever hooked up yet.

Will the maximum charge current of 100A be a problem for these LiFEPO4's? If it is just a limiter...I'm fine with that. I just don't want to give it too much juice from charge controller. The Kilovault has a max of current charge of 150A which seemed to match the system but it's $$$.

I am willing to roll the dice on a12V 400ah today and test it out with Xantrex 1800W when I get to Cabo this month.
If you have a 48v system you will only be putting in about 75 amps with your 12 panels

Those are about HALF the kWh cost of the Lion Energy batteries on sale from Costco (currently sitting in shopping cart). How can these be SO MUCH CHEAPER than any other out there? You can't even build battery banks nearly this cheap.

The answer is probably in the name SHUN-BIN. Loosely translated these cells are probably factory rejects , or from the BINs that were deemed unacceptable.

Electronic (battery) manufacturers test their products and separate them into BIN #s. The good bins go into electric cars, street lights, UPS systems, power tools, laptops etc... The "just ok" bins get sold to reputable wholesalers/retailers as B grade. The "bad" bins are shunned (see what I did there :)) into the junk pile. It's china, so even the junk pile finds its way into the market somehow.

For those that already bought these, I hope I'm wrong almost as much as you do.

Why go down to a 12v battery with the panel setup you have? Have you considered going with 24 or 48v battery. If you already have your Xantrex inverter then I understand why. It's a decision you may want to think about now.

I would contact shunbin as their description says customizable on the max charging current. I see where they say less than 100a and less than 50a.

You forgot realistic.

The testing so far has showed no indication that these batteries are not up to par .... I don't think the company would have "avoid-reject" as part of their name .... but now days there is always someone trying to run something down with no evidence.

Sorry folks but can we keep this thread on topic. I posted this so that people can follow along on these packs and determine if it is something they want for their own systems. We ALL know what a PITA it is doing research on battery packs and alternative options.

Thanks in advance, for your assistance & contributions.
Steve

The testing so far has showed no indication that these batteries are not up to par .... I don't think the company would have "avoid-reject" as part of their name .... but now days there is always someone trying to run something down with no evidence.

What testing?

If you want to bet your money on an unknown china cell, go for it. I've been buying from China for decades and have been screwed more times than I care to admit, but at least it was mostly cheap stuff and I was expecting it (I was lubed up). I've bought many many li-ion 18650 cells from unknown suppliers in China and not a single one tested anywhere near specs. Some were laughably bad. Some started out ok but lost 75% of their capacity in a year. BUT, my Samsungs, Sonys, Panasonic's, LGs and Sanyos are mostly all still working great after a decade of use. You DO sometimes get what you pay for, especially with battery brands!

I'm trying to save naive people from possibly making a huge financial mistake. If they still want to chance it that's up to them. I hope they are the real deal, but the odds are less than 50/50. Just know the odds before playing the game....someone has to remind people here that... Being a fanboy helps no one. I saw just one test of these mystery batteries on here and they failed miserably (the real manufacturer said his cells were meant for the trash heap). I don't consider "I got them and they are great!" from a fanboy an actual test.

Time will tell and we will see. If you've got the cash to try them, great, go for it!...just don't gamble the kid's college fund. ;)

Sorry folks but can we keep this thread on topic. I posted this so that people can follow along on these packs and determine if it is something they want for their own systems. We ALL know what a PITA it is doing research on battery packs and alternative options.

Thanks in advance, for your assistance & contributions.
Steve

Will do. I look forward to everyone's testing. The truth is, even if these can hold only 75% of their rated capacity they may still be a great deal.

Will do. I look forward to everyone's testing. The truth is, even if these can hold only 75% of their rated capacity they may still be a great deal.

There is also another thread where people are testing these batteries .... and there is evidence of great customer support on this thread. Sorry you had some bad experiences, but I don't think you have any experience with these batteries. I am interested in hearing from the people who have them and are testing them.

There is also another thread where people are testing these batteries .... and there is evidence of great customer support on this thread. Sorry you had some bad experiences, but I don't think you have any experience with these batteries. I am interested in hearing from the people who have them and are testing them.
LINK to the other Thread here: https://diysolarforum.com/index.php...ns-im-considering-for-300-500ah-24v-bank.758/
Delta-V purchased one of these exact units and is digging into it, photo's and more.

Well, I'm using this battery now. 2nd cycle since I received it, used about 2,300 Watts DC so far (with losses considered) after full charge. All cells are balanced with one another (~3.30V per cell, 26.32V total under load). Everything's still looking good. I'm averaging about 400 Watts per hour tonight. Currently powering my home office room now (ie. 2 Desktop computers, 1 laptop, 5 monitors, a stereo, a 48" TV with sound bar, and 2 room fans). I even plugged in my refrigerator to bump up the usage a bit. Bumps up to about 650 Watts when the fridge is running. I'm surprised I'm not drawing more power than it seems. I have no complains with this battery so far. it's working as expected.

I'm still apprehensive to power anything unattended from it until I get a little more experience with it (proven itself). So, I shut it all down when I'm not around. I'll leave it running my fridge over-night to see how it does.

Back