diy solar

diy solar

Shunt battery connection order of ring terminals on post

Reef Whooligan

Probably a dumb question but does it matter what order the rings are on the battery post when using a shunt? I assume I would want the main connection on the bottom, for best contact, and then the shunt terminal on top but thought I'd check. Thanks!

Yes, but….

If there are multiple connections like three paralleled batteries, I will parallel these at a busbar rather than combining at the shunt.

I’m unsure of a shunt terminal you speak of. I have an Aili shunt and Victron shunt. Neither has a terminal like you mentioned.

Probably a dumb question but does it matter what order the rings are on the battery post when using a shunt? I assume I would want the main connection on the bottom, for best contact, and then the shunt terminal on top but thought I'd check. Thanks!
If you are talking about the negative side of the battery the shunt should be between the battery and everything else so nothing else should be stacked on the battery negative terminal along with the shunt connection.

If you are talking about the shunt positive connection, its milli amps so yes it goes on top of the stack.
Better yet, it doesn't even need to go on the battery positive terminal at all.
Would need to see your setup to help you choose a better place to connect it.

Reactions: Zil
I’m unsure of a shunt terminal you speak of.
If you are talking about the shunt positive connection, its milli amps so yes it goes on top of the stack.
Better yet, it doesn't even need to go on the battery positive terminal at all.
Sorry, I explained poorly but I was talking about the positive connection to the shunt.

My setup is fairly simple with one battery and a busbar. The busbar will connect to the battery, MPPT, Inverter, and a utility charger. I could connect the shunt to either the battery post, one of the fuse posts between battery and busbar, or where the battery connects to the busbar I believe? What would you recommend?

I have my victron positive connection on the positive Battery terminal because it doubles as a temp sensor.

I have my Aili installed at a positive busbar after the batteries are combined and after battery switch. This way the shunt powers down when I store that device.

If you have a disconnect switch or breaker between the battery and the busbar I look to connect the shunt positive lead to the battery side of the disconnect switch or breaker.
That way you can isolate the battery from the rest of the system without losing power to your battery monitor.
If you don't use a disconnect switch or breaker between the battery and the rest of the system I doesn't matter.
I like to put the shunt close to the negative busbar and tap its power from the positive busbar in that case.
Don't forget the in-line fuse on the shunt positive lead.

With the way you described it, if it’s not a temp sensor, somewhere in your system where it makes sense. A spare stud on the bus bar or as a second connection on the bus bar stud.

If it’s a temp sensor, than on the positive terminal of the battery.

I connected after the switch because not all shunts are crated equal. My Victron is a low amperage shunt, the AiLi was not. The Aili can be in storage a bit.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Don't forget the in-line fuse on the shunt positive lead.
It's a Victron SmartShunt so it has a fuse in the included + cable.

if it’s not a temp sensor, somewhere in your system where it makes sense. A spare stud on the bus bar or as a second connection on the bus bar stud.

I don't have the temperature sensor because everything will be very close together in the same space. If it's OK to install to the busbar then I think I will do that.

I think that's everything until I go to actually start putting this together tomorrow. Brace yourselves for more questions then ?

Always put the highest current item first, directly on the battery terminal (busbar, battery cable etc.). Then you can put things like BMS sense leads, power for your shunt, etc.

Back