diy solar

diy solar

SiC based inverters

curiouscarbon

Science Penguin
Anyone aware of any SiC based inverters?

Silicon Carbide switches instead of normal Silicon type

SiC really shines in medium (100s of V) to high voltage (kV) applications and high temperature applications. Otherwise, the cost advantage and maturity of Si processes (IGBTs) are working against SiC's influence for the cost-sensitive market.

Though, to be honest, it was a few years ago when I was doing a deep dive on GaN and SiC components for AC-DC, DC-DC, and DC-AC applications.

That’s a curious question ?

In beta test now, hopefully on the market soon :

SiC mentioned at 1:10 mark.

Last edited:
SiC really shines in medium (100s of V) to high voltage (kV) applications and high temperature applications. Otherwise, the cost advantage and maturity of Si processes (IGBTs) are working against SiC's influence for the cost-sensitive market.

Though, to be honest, it was a few years ago when I was doing a deep dive on GaN and SiC components for AC-DC, DC-DC, and DC-AC applications.
Thank you for your insight on this!

Also welcome to the forum ?

The need for having a negative voltage for gate drive is another factor that has kept me from experimenting with SiC switches.

Cheers!

That’s a curious question ?

In beta test now, hopefully on the market soon :

SiC mentioned at 1:10 mark.
Thanks, I’ll have to read up more on that product. Interesting….

Cheers!

Also welcome to the forum ?
Thanks. I've lurked for quite a while, but figured I should register since I am now replacing my Ryobi lawn mower SLA batteries with a DIY Lifepo, whenever they come in.

Wide-bandgap semiconductors are definitely better (size/weight/power density/temperature) than Silicon in power applications, but that trade space is still dominated by cost, which Silicon parts have the big advantage on.
If, however, your restriction is efficiency or space, then you can get higher efficiency and higher power density using GaN or SiC devices. Cree, GeneSiC, and others have some neat SiC transistors, but again, they are rated for 600-1200V. EPC has some really neat GaN power parts that can cram a ton of power density in a really small space, but they were *very* touchy for their gate drive voltage.

I'm not surprised it is taking so long in getting commercial parts out for DiYers.

Back