diy solar

diy solar

Sideways cylindrical cells for a flat battery

Tom_G

I'm hoping for some input on this battery layout I have diagrammed. Due to the space constraint of a small van, I am wondering if it's feasible to place cylindrical cells on their sides, resulting in a large, flat battery that could go beneath a floor or fixture. Besides not taking up much vertical space, the layout could be shaped around a non-square area, like fitting around a wheel well.

The system would consist of 'packs' of 4 cells spot welded in series all placed in a big square and connected in parallel. The whole thing wouldn't be more than 4ft lengthwise or widthwise. There are two wiring configurations I could think of. The first would be to connect each parallel cell together in a grid. This would allow the current in each pack to not have to travel through more then 4ft of wire. The second would be a row of packs widthwise connected in parallel, then each of those packs connected in parallel to the packs above them, branching up like a tree. The downside to this would be that the energy in the furthest pack away would need to travel up to 16ft.

My main consideration is heat. The wires connecting the cells in parallel would be much longer then usual and therefore might need to be thicker gauge. But even with correctly gauged wiring, would there be too much energy loss from the cells furthest away? Should the battery terminals need to be moved to exit from a more central pack?

I drew up some diagrams in Microsoft paint to illustrate the layout. A 'grid' diagram, a 'tree' one, and a crude attempt at a 3d depiction. The drawing just represents a section of the battery, and would be extended as needed.

Are there any considerations I'm not making? Do I have misconceptions about any of the concepts?

Attachments

• 3dcross_section.png
    3dcross_section.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 6
  • flatbattery schematic vGrid.png
    flatbattery schematic vGrid.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 3
  • flatbattery schematic vTree.png
    flatbattery schematic vTree.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I think I had my fundamentals wrong. I thought I was just asking 'Do parallel cells need to be right next to each other?', but that questions probably didn't translate because my understanding of the concepts was totally messed up. I had pretty much connected everything in series and parallel at the same time.
Reading more about parallel strings and the forum's cell configuration resource is helping me understand and giving me more terms to search with.
I'll do some more thinking and reading and might be back with an idea that actually works.

Last edited:
Tesla has done a lot of work on paralleling cylindrical cells in a pack. You might benefit from their knowledge. Essentially each module of parallel cells is contiguous and then each module is in series with the next module.

Back