diy solar

diy solar

Sigineer charge controller

Austin68

I was poking around looking for a different charge controller and stumbled across the sigineer mppt48120. It says on their site that it has two separate 60A MPPT trackers. First question is if anyone has experience with their charge controllers on their quality. Second if it has two separate trackers then can you have two different arrays with different wattages hooked up to it?

I was poking around looking for a different charge controller and stumbled across the sigineer mppt48120. It says on their site that it has two separate 60A MPPT trackers. First question is if anyone has experience with their charge controllers on their quality. Second if it has two separate trackers then can you have two different arrays with different wattages hooked up to it?

Sigineer makes AIMS inverters, so I would expect them to be of acceptable quality.

Well except is it 250v PV input or is it 145v PV input??

I ran into this same spec for the similar Growatt 48120

The heading says 250, the specs say 145. HUGE difference and could result in white smoke

spec issue.JPG

If anyone is interested I have the BMS protocol from Sigineer so you can line that up with your BMS so it can talk to it. attached pdf is the protocol. It used RS485 L01 through L50 and CAN L51 through L99.

Attachments

• Sigineer-Power-Solar-Inverter-CANBUS-Protocol-20210122.pdf
    573.4 KB · Views: 8
If anyone is interested I have the BMS protocol from Sigineer so you can line that up with your BMS so it can talk to it. attached pdf is the protocol. It used RS485 L01 through L50 and CAN L51 through L99.
Have you been able to connect your BMS with the Sigineer M48120 SCC? If so, which protocol did you use?

I was in talk with Seplos, and they contacted Sigineer to check this point.
From what Sigineer told them, the M48120 SCC cannot communicate with a BMS.
You need to use an Inverter like the 12048D SPI.

Well except is it 250v PV input or is it 145v PV input??

I ran into this same spec for the similar Growatt 48120

The heading says 250, the specs say 145. HUGE difference and could result in white smoke

View attachment 81214
The growatts are good for only 100v input @ 24v, the sigineer will take 150v @ 24v. They also claim you can overpanel their gear without worry of frying them. This brand seems to be a great choice for solar chargers. I just ordered a sigineer 48120 & hope it's as good as the growatt chargers I'm using.

I just ordered a sigineer 48120 & hope it's as good as the growatt chargers I'm using.
You should hope it's better. I have a Growatt 48120 and it's been a really bad experience with diy LFP so far.

I just ordered 1 of those. The mppt input can be combined or separate. I've looked into Sigineers reputation & get mixed reviews on youtube but it appears to be better than the common junk floating around. I'm just confused "cuz they say it can be pc monitored via usb but their user manual doesn't expand on that. I'm hoping it works well 'cux there not many quality chargers that will accept 150v input in the 24v mode where most are just 100v & 120 amps is some serious power.

Looks like the Sigineer mppt48120 is cut from the same cloth as the Growatt sc48120. Same connections, same lcd and controls. I wonder if the Sigineer would preform anyone better with diy LFP batteries that did not communicate with the scc? Different firmware?

You should hope it's better. I have a Growatt 48120 and it's been a really bad experience with diy LFP so far.
With my LFP's I don't use the lith setting. I set it for user & just set it for 27.6v across the board. That gives me a perfect 3.45v per cell charge & eliminates any possibility of the bms needing to kill the charging.

With my LFP's I don't use the lith setting. I set it for user & just set it for 27.6v across the board. That gives me a perfect 3.45v per cell charge & eliminates any possibility of the bms needing to kill the charging.
Yeah I am using USER in the Growatt too, not the Lith setting.

I have both a Growatt 12k Inverter/SCC All in One, AND the external Growatt SC48120 SCC. 11,000 watt 32 panel array broken into 4 arrays, 2 going to the AIO and 2 Going to the SCC

The issue I run into is 2 fold:
1. If the Growatt external SC48120 is NOT connected to the Inverter via rj45 and cat5 cable so that the inverter is the master and doing all the charge control settings for the external SCC, the external charge will reach my set Absorb / Constant Voltage Setting, the current will stop, BUT the voltage will just keep going up and up and up, until the BMS finally turns off charging because a cell in the battery has hit Hi voltage cut off. (not the best protection)
2. If the external SCC IS connected via rj45 and cat 5 to the inverter, it works correctly, following the settings in the Inverters SCC and stops charge and voltage at set point ... BUT ... in the case where the BMS has shut down charging for the batteries (due to low temp cut off protection below freezing or hi voltage cut off, etc) ... When the sun comes out, and there is voltage coming in from the solar array, the external Growatt sc48120 SCC does not know what to do with the power (since it cannot charge the batteries). So the DC in voltage at the inverter starts jumping all around from the Absorb / Constant Voltage user setting up to and over the inverters DC Hi voltage warning cut off (in the case of a 48v system this is about 62v dc) ... this throws the inverter in to a High DC voltage overload fault and shuts the inverter down.

So I wondering if the Sigineer software in their 48120 fixed these issues. Because Growatt is Junk.

Yeah I am using USER in the Growatt too, not the Lith setting.

I have both a Growatt 12k Inverter/SCC All in One, AND the external Growatt SC48120 SCC. 11,000 watt 32 panel array broken into 4 arrays, 2 going to the AIO and 2 Going to the SCC

The issue I run into is 2 fold:
1. If the Growatt external SC48120 is NOT connected to the Inverter via rj45 and cat5 cable so that the inverter is the master and doing all the charge control settings for the external SCC, the external charge will reach my set Absorb / Constant Voltage Setting, the current will stop, BUT the voltage will just keep going up and up and up, until the BMS finally turns off charging because a cell in the battery has hit Hi voltage cut off. (not the best protection)
2. If the external SCC IS connected via rj45 and cat 5 to the inverter, it works correctly, following the settings in the Inverters SCC and stops charge and voltage at set point ... BUT ... in the case where the BMS has shut down charging for the batteries (due to low temp cut off protection below freezing or hi voltage cut off, etc) ... When the sun comes out, and there is voltage coming in from the solar array, the external Growatt sc48120 SCC does not know what to do with the power (since it cannot charge the batteries). So the DC in voltage at the inverter starts jumping all around from the Absorb / Constant Voltage user setting up to and over the inverters DC Hi voltage warning cut off (in the case of a 48v system this is about 62v dc) ... this throws the inverter in to a High DC voltage overload fault and shuts the inverter down.

So I wondering if the Sigineer software in their 48120 fixed these issues. Because Growatt is Junk.
Wow, that's annoying. Have you tried running the charger without the communication cables? I got 2 4880's bootstraped at the output & 1 takes the role of master & the 2nd, slave. They've been working flawless for me & better than victrons I had before that. I'll post a review on the Sigineer after I test it out. I'll be bootstrapping it with a victron & hoping there's no issues.

Back