diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar Chargeverter Important Feature Request

solarpowermaniac

The new Chargeverter from Signature Solar is amazing and perfect for off grid houses with generators. I just wish it ramped the amperage slowly instead of charging at the full requested current immediately.

My 10kW Generac generator is perfectly capable of running 5kW of continuous loads, but because Chargeverter instantly pulls 100 amps sometimes my Generac can’t meet the surge in time and dies. The software is there, it just needs to be tuned to it request 10 amps , then 20, then 30… until it gets to the set amperage level.

Why couldn't you apply the pre charge resistor concept here if you wanted to do it manually?
Not sure if that would be the same thing. The batteries are at one end and the charger is at the other. The batteries can continually draw 100 amps for hours whereas capacitors fill up in seconds and won’t draw nearly as many amps

Not sure if that would be the same thing. The batteries are at one end and the charger is at the other. The batteries can continually draw 100 amps for hours whereas capacitors fill up in seconds and won’t draw nearly as many amps
Understood.
Wouldn't the resistor limit the initial rush to the generator allowing it to ramp up slower? Or would a capacitor be a better option?
Sorry I'm still a total rookie when it gets this technical.
Of course the easiest way would be to program some logic in to step up charge current to the programmed setting, this is already doable manually through.

Maybe put a soft start on the a/c side of the chargeverter. That would limit the in-rush current from the generator to the chargeverter.

The benefit of this conversation to other readers is that one needs to find a perfect match of components. Perfect components do not make a perfect system if not matched correctly. If starting from scratch it could be either a generator that could ramp to match the Chargeverter or a charger that ramps more slowly.

I hope @solarpowermaniac finds a solution.

Last edited:
Can you not start the chargeverter at a lower current, and then “turn it up” gradually to your preferred setting?

What do you mean?
I’m guessing it’s something he has to discuss with R&D.

To my knowledge there’s no way to update the firmware on this device, so it would end up having to be a new revision of the software going forward.

I have no idea. I’d ask the original poster.

I would just manually adjust it on startup, but I guess a ramp feature,would be handy

Will chat about this
That would be awesome. Something like 10 amps per second would even be fine. All of my systems are automated but I unfortunately cannot use the Chargeverter attached to my transfer switch because it kills the generator instantly. I have to step up the amps slowly.

I would buy another just for this feature.

Yes but then that requires me to be at the house when the automatic home generator kicks on
I would set the charge rate at what ever your generator can handle at startup. My 7k (running watt) inveter generator can take around a 4000 surge on eco mode. When eco mode is turned off it can take the full 100 amp about 90% of the time...I had it overload twice.

I would set the charge rate at what ever your generator can handle at startup. My 7k (running watt) inveter generator can take around a 4000 surge on eco mode. When eco mode is turned off it can take the full 100 amp about 90% of the time...I had it overload twice.
I have to be 100% confident it will start every time because many instances I’m not home when it needs backup power. Plus running at 50% load is very efficient for my generac 1 gal/propane per hour

Appreciate the suggestion though!

Back