diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar Customer Service

journeyman846

Just adding my experience here for anyone looking to purchase from Signature Solar. I ordered the Growatt SPF 5000 ES-US inverter from them as well as a pallet of solar panels as they're located pretty close to me here in Texas. Everything arrived quickly and with no damage. So far the inverter and solar array has been great for powering my office and charging my Tesla. I noticed however that the comms board for BMS communication and monitoring did not work. I reached out to Growatt's US support team and went through their troubleshooting steps. They finally reached the conclusion that the comms board would need to be replaced and had me reach out to my seller. I contacted Signature Solar and they requested the item be sent back to them so that their engineers could diagnose the issue and repair it. I asked if it was possible to just return the comms part of the inverter since everything else worked fine, but they still wanted the entire unit shipped. I was hesitant but went ahead and did it anyway. I got the RMA processed and although they paid for shipping, they did pay for or send any packing materials so I had to pay to have it packed and shipped.

The item arrived April 12th at their warehouse. I confirmed the next day that they received the item and asked that they keep me updated on the progress. I did not hear anything back from the by Monday April 18th, so I emailed them again requesting an update. The original engineer Alex I was dealing with never responded, so I emailed the RMA team and got a reply back from them that they confirmed the comms board was bad and it would be 2-3 weeks before the part arrived. I asked if there were any other solutions, like shipping the item back to me and I could install the part when it arrived. The RMA team said they would get back to me on other possible solutions. Two more days went by and I still did not get any response so I tried to call and was told they were at lunch, but would return my call when they were back. Here it is again the next day and I have yet to get any sort of update from them. I get that there has been a recent explosion in interest in solar, but there is absolutely no excuse for this lack of communication. A simple email update takes only a few seconds.

It sounds like they're doing everything right other than delayed communication. Their warranty service wants to make the repair themselves. I see nothing wrong with that. The turnaround time of 2-3 weeks, while I totally understand is inconvenient, also seems reasonable. They even paid for return shipping. No response in 3 days to something you're asking that might go against their usual procedures, maaaaaybe but...

It sounds like they're doing everything right other than delayed communication. Their warranty service wants to make the repair themselves. I see nothing wrong with that. The turnaround time of 2-3 weeks, while I totally understand is inconvenient, also seems reasonable. They even paid for return shipping. No response in 3 days to something you're asking that might go against their usual procedures, maaaaaybe but...
I completely understand the lead time on the parts to repair the inverter with the current chip shortage, but I don't believe I have asked anything unreasonable or outside their usual procedures listed below. The thing about this is the unit is perfectly functional without the comms board so why would asking for it back while the parts ship be unacceptable? My biggest concern here is not the "delay" in communication, it's the complete lack of it. I have not once been contacted by anyone at SS regarding this without first initiating it. Even here on the forum I had a thread started that Richard had initially started helping me with, but quickly stopped replying there as well. I currently have spent close to $3000 with Signature Solar for a setup that is inoperable so I apologize if my expectations are a little high.

If determined by bench test that the unit is in fact defective due to a warranty issue the following solutions will be available:
1. We can test and repair your unit under warranty.
2. We can send you a replacement unit under warranty - either an open box unit or a unit that has been refurbished and fully tested and covered by warranty.
2.If the replacement unit is not available: we can get you with a sales representative to initiate an exchange for another product using the credit you are provided from the return.

Last edited:
So I got a shipment in today from Signature Solar with what looks to be a refurbished unit. While I am happy to finally get it back I still am not too impressed with the communication. Last update I had from them was on 4/21 stating they received the new comms board in for my unit and would be confirming if this fixed the issue. Once again I did not get any sort of update from them before the unit arrived at my door. The good news is I am now able to communicate with the new inverter, but I am a bit concerned that I didn't really receive an "Open Box" unit, as it looks to have already been opened up and smells like burnt electronics. I am a little worried that I sent a perfectly good unit to them just to receive a reman unit that very likely already had issues or is older. I assume they likely still uphold the warranty, but the concern is still there nonetheless.
1651090007970.pngIMG_1684.jpgIMG_1683.jpg

Reactions: Rho
I am very active on the forum. Not sure but I didn't get pinged from the user earlier who @'d me. Anyways, I tend to get things done and follow through to the end so if anyone ever runs into any issues feel free to PM me directly.

Edit: I also went to your posting history on here to see our previous communications - one thing I've noticed (and several others have pointed out in other threads) is that when you respond to a thread, it's not a guarantee that when someone else messages that you will get an update. The problem with that being, obviously, is that I never even knew you replied to my message in the other thread. Sorry that that happened, I just wanted you to know I didn't intentionally ignore you. That being said, PMing me directly seems to work and I get the notifications from this with far more certainty.

Last edited:
I am very active on the forum. Not sure but I didn't get pinged from the user earlier who @'d me. Anyways, I tend to get things done and follow through to the end so if anyone ever runs into any issues feel free to PM me directly.

Edit: I also went to your posting history on here to see our previous communications - one thing I've noticed (and several others have pointed out in other threads) is that when you respond to a thread, it's not a guarantee that when someone else messages that you will get an update. The problem with that being, obviously, is that I never even knew you replied to my message in the other thread. Sorry that that happened, I just wanted you to know I didn't intentionally ignore you. That being said, PMing me directly seems to work and I get the notifications from this with far more certainty.
I've noticed that as well. No worries on that part as after our discussions here I just went ahead and reached out to Growatt tech support to have them do the troubleshooting. I was already pretty confident I knew what the issue was but thought I would have them confirm.

So you waited a bunch of time to have your brand new inverter replaced by a refurbished one? I don't know how long you have had it but if you purchased it recently I would expect a new board into the original unit or a new inverter.

So you waited a bunch of time to have your brand new inverter replaced by a refurbished one? I don't know how long you have had it but if you purchased it recently I would expect a new board into the original unit or a new inverter.
I purchased it on January 31st of this year. Didn't actually install it until probably late Feb early March. And I agree, seems I am getting a bit of the shaft here, the comms board alone is labelled 2019 where as mine was 2021 at least.

UPDATE: I contacted the RMA department and they said they will be sending my unit to me once the new board arrives.

Last edited:
Here's the way it should work. If the unit is defective on arrival. They should be shipping back to them. And they just send you a different unit different new unit the next day. Then they can fix that unit at their leisure. And resell it in the garage sale section that they have. When you buy something and is defective on arrival is not your fault and you shouldn't have to pay in money or time. What's the problem with this concept.

Here's the way it should work. If the unit is defective on arrival. They should be shipping back to them. And they just send you a different unit different new unit the next day. Then they can fix that unit at their leisure. And resell it in the garage sale section that they have. When you buy something and is defective on arrival is not your fault and you shouldn't have to pay in money or time. What's the problem with this concept.
EXACTLY right!

Guys, I have the same problem with my new SPF 5000ES that arrived today (not from Signature Solar. Just a local reseller).
The communication board was newer than my 3 other SPF5000 inverters. I wanted to flash the newest firmware but the ISP tool v4.21 and v4.30 that I tried - did not work. PV Keeper does not work either.
BUT Solar Assistant seems to work. It communicates and is also able to change settings of the inverter..
So my question is - is there any PC drivers that would fix the PC USB communication?
I see the port, just like @journeyman846 but the board never communicated with PV Keeper or ISP tool (and I tried 4 cables and 2 PCs).

Just another update. Still no replacement unit from Signature Solar. Last communication I had from them was on 6/7 in which they stated.

Good afternoon, We are currently out of stock on these units. We will be receiving our shipment in the middle of this month. I will look to see if the previous RMA department Head made an order for you to go out or not and will update you on it.

I completely understand the lead time on the parts to repair the inverter with the current chip shortage, but I don't believe I have asked anything unreasonable or outside their usual procedures listed below. The thing about this is the unit is perfectly functional without the comms board so why would asking for it back while the parts ship be unacceptable? My biggest concern here is not the "delay" in communication, it's the complete lack of it. I have not once been contacted by anyone at SS regarding this without first initiating it. Even here on the forum I had a thread started that Richard had initially started helping me with, but quickly stopped replying there as well. I currently have spent close to $3000 with Signature Solar for a setup that is inoperable so I apologize if my expectations are a little high.
Honestly ...they should have either sent you a brand new unit or keep a few on hand for loaning out when it takes this long. This is what makes me uneasy about the made in china crap. What's going to happen when..not if...china goes to war with Taiwan. These companies that went all china mode, and I understand why..our feckless government, are going to fold up. We need to bring all this back to America and ..make inverters great again.

Back