diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 200ah (24 volt) problems

2 more weeks have gone by and no word from Signature Solar about a BMS update. The batteries SOC now are 95 to 96% when the BMS stops allowing batteries to charge and going lower daily. The batteries are down a total of 21ah when showing fully charged. George

Sorry to hear they aren't making any progress.

What voltage are you charging the batteries at?

Those are pretty close to what i would recommend. How many cycles are on the batteries?

One week ago I emailed Signature Solar about my charging - discharging problem and have received no communication from them. I emailed them again this afternoon. Kornbread, yes the eg4 batteries need a better bms. I did not purchase these batteries so that I could take them apart and change parts in them. 5 year warranty - and Wil P. thought they were great. George. Thurs July 28th They contacted me and had me increase voltage to 29 volts absorb & float. We will see. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
After increasing voltage to 29 volts, it straightened out the difference and made the batteries charge and discharge equally. The problem now is they are showing an overcharge alarm on all 3 batteries. Waiting to hear back from Signature Solar - probably next week. George

After increasing voltage to 29 volts, it straightened out the difference and made the batteries charge and discharge equally. The problem now is they are showing an overcharge alarm on all 3 batteries. Waiting to hear back from Signature Solar - probably next week. George
You've probably got cells bumping into the ovp limit and shutting down the show. 29 volts is pretty high for a 24v battery. I think ovp is set at 3.7 per cell with these packs but you should confirm with SS. Can you monitor individual cell voltage and confirm that's the case? If that is the case, i bet a dozen or so cycles at full float voltage for several hours will help correct both the soc issue and the ovp.

Koldsimer, Signature Solar told me to set the voltage to 29 volts absorb & float. When I did that yesterday the 3 batteries immediately went to 29 volts and showed 100 % SOC and showed an overcharge alarm. Tomorrow I will set them to 28.8 volts and see what that does. GeorgeScreenshot_2022-07-29-14-24-00-106.jpeg

Does isolating one battery at a time and charging change the results?

Shimmy, I have no way of isolating the batteries, we are off grid and I don't do a lot of experimenting. The battery voltages are equal now and solving the overcharge alarms is my concern now. 28.8 volts did not solve the alarm problem. Now I will revert back to 28.5 volts and see what happens. George

I found out today that there has been a firmware update for the eg4 batteries. I have been asking Signature Solar for 3 months for an update and they did not notify me, I found out about update on this forum just a few minutes ago. Signature Solar has the worst customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. The problems have been - 1. The 3 eg4 200 ah batteries would not start my inverter. 2. No help from SS on accessing the bms test program, had to figure it out on my own. 3. The batteries after having 60 cycles became very unequal in voltage. 4. After adjusting charge voltage per ss, the batteries show over charge alarm at 28.9 volts and per SS that alarm should not come on until 30 volts. I am a very unhappy customer and recommend anyone that is going to purchase lifep04 batteries do a lot of research before purchasing. Enjoy life George

KMac55,
Not yet, I am waiting on the special cable from Signature Solar. Then I will be doing more research on the subject. I do not have much confidence in SS customer service and it is getting to the point to not trust what their technicians tell me.
George

I just ordered the cable tonight myself. I must have missed the need for a different cable than what I normally use to read my battery on my laptop. When I tried to update I got an error unable to read the boot file. So I'll wait. Wish I knew the particulars. For example, did it change the current regulation such that I can get more startup surge power without a shutdown? That is what I am looking for.

Just received the cable an hour ago, and still facing the error of loading boot info. Already pre-scheduled a support call with them tomorrow. will see how it goes

On the video it appears they have that error once on the screen, if I'm not mistaken. Then it reads the boot info.
In comments to the video one person writes about changing the order of wires to connect. Not sure whether that was with the other cable?
Looking forward to information from your support call.

Back