diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 48v 100ah Batteries Alarming Out

BTW. I am a Software Engineer that at one time wrote firmware for solar inverters.
I have 40 years of coding and troubleshooting experience.

I like the products including the Growatt inverters
but they just don't work and Signature Solar knows
it.

I don't have much faith that they will ever have a tech
support that can adequately support these KNOWN
REPRODUCIBLE PROBLEMS.

YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED!

For example:
I bought a Growatt inverter on amazon
and batteries from SS.

SS didn't want to support inverter so
I bought another (same model) from SS.
The 2 had very different circuit boards.

I though maybe my first inverter was outdated
so I purchased another inverter from SS only
a week later

The third inverter had circuit boards like the first.
When I asked SS which was the more current version,
they said they didn't know that there were more
than 1 version.

I gave up.

If I can't fix it and SS can't, who can? Growatt says "call SS"...
do you mind DMing me your email address? I'd really like to look into this and make sure the tech dept is all on the same page. Is this a recent issue or something that has been ongoing? Which growatt inverter are you using and what trouble code are you getting?

I'm really sorry that you ended up with the comm hub, it's completely unnecessary if using EG4 batteries with a growatt inverter. A concern would be that the inverter you bought off amazon has an outdated firmware and is causing issues. But until I can get your info and look into it I can't really say.

Ben, can we please get rs485 documentation on the protocol for lifepower4 so i can port this to can on my sunny islands? i am ready to order 60kw worth of batteries but inverter selection is limited.

Ben, can we please get rs485 documentation on the protocol for lifepower4 so i can port this to can on my sunny islands? i am ready to order 60kw worth of batteries but inverter selection is limited.
We are preparing the release of an LCD smartbox that has a Can port and Sunny Island comms

We are preparing the release of an LCD smartbox that has a Can port and Sunny Island comms
Any idea on the ETA of this? I talked to sales last week and the other option was an EG4LL as the master as a v2 talking to all remaining lifepower4 modules, but this is not yet complete. I was just going to roll my own using an automotive microcontroller w/ a microchip can and do translation between the two. If I had a spec of your protocol on the rs485, it's a weekend job for an experienced programmer.

I would be happy to pay for coms between my Generty Solar 12k and lifepo4. I just don't have the knowledge of what and how coms work on the batteries.
I'm sure there are others that would be intrested.

Any idea on the ETA of this? I talked to sales last week and the other option was an EG4LL as the master as a v2 talking to all remaining lifepower4 modules, but this is not yet complete. I was just going to roll my own using an automotive microcontroller w/ a microchip can and do translation between the two. If I had a spec of your protocol on the rs485, it's a weekend job for an experienced programmer.
Here is a reverse engineered protocol for the EG4 batteries. https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery/pull/212#issuecomment-1272416040

the first 1000 are in production and we may ship by air

If anyone wants to see what the batteries look like taken apart and the BMS being replaced, here are the details in my video i did for the camper:

Back