diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 6.5K Off-Grid Inverter | 6500EX-48

Could be a few things really. Can be reverse + and - but if it ran a few months it wasn't that. Too much PV can cause it too. Running the wrong generator into the unit is a possibility. Just tough to say without gathering a few details

This may be a silly question, but did you update setting 01? The default is to run in utility/solar/battery priority. It must be set to solar/utility/battery by adjusting this setting. Please see page ~16 in the manual.

I’m not sure about the solar charge controllers in the EG4 inverter since they’re different than the ones in the LV6548, but there is also a minimum startup voltage. In my unit, it is 80V, which means below that threshold the inverter will not use PV. Have you measured the open circuit voltage of your string(s) to confirm you are above your minimum voltage threshold?
This may be a silly question, but did you update setting 01? The default is to run in utility/solar/battery priority. It must be set to solar/utility/battery by adjusting this setting. Please see page ~16 in the manual.
I’m not sure about the solar charge controllers in the EG4 inverter since they’re different than the ones in the LV6548, but there is also a minimum startup voltage. In my unit, it is 80V, which means below that threshold the inverter will not use PV. Have you measured the open circuit voltage of your string(s) to confirm you are above your minimum voltage threshold?
Hi, Ryanbold. Did you ever receive a reliable answer for this question? I installed two EG4 6500 units but only powered one, by solar only. First day, it fired up and output 120 volts for about thirty minutes, then died. That same BP error showed up. Haven't been able to kick the system over since.

Hi, Ryanbold. Did you ever receive a reliable answer for this question? I installed two EG4 6500 units but only powered one, by solar only. First day, it fired up and output 120 volts for about thirty minutes, then died. That same BP error showed up. Haven't been able to kick the system over since.
So you only have one connected with no battery?

Did you change option 5 to USE?

I have the 6500ex and it has been flawless I lvoe the thing except for 1 thing, on my aims 6kw there is a low v cutoff and a restore volt, soi for exampole when i hit 42 it will cut off my inverter and not cut it back on until i hit 44, thius is to prevent the unit from coming on and the rubber band from dropping it back below the low v cut off and turning back off, I have yet to find this setting on my eg4, my eg4 will cut off at 46v but in the morning as soon as the solar starts and brings the volts back above 46 it turns on then drops the voltage below and cuts back off, at that point it wont turn back on unless i manually turn it off and on, this has to happen evey morning and is quite frustrating.

I have the 6500ex and it has been flawless I lvoe the thing except for 1 thing, on my aims 6kw there is a low v cutoff and a restore volt, soi for exampole when i hit 42 it will cut off my inverter and not cut it back on until i hit 44, thius is to prevent the unit from coming on and the rubber band from dropping it back below the low v cut off and turning back off, I have yet to find this setting on my eg4, my eg4 will cut off at 46v but in the morning as soon as the solar starts and brings the volts back above 46 it turns on then drops the voltage below and cuts back off, at that point it wont turn back on unless i manually turn it off and on, this has to happen evey morning and is quite frustrating.
Can't you change it to a different voltage? 46V is too low.

Can't you change it to a different voltage? 46V is too low.
yes for sure i can but if i change it to 48v or 50v it still has the same effect, as soon as it hits those v's it will drop inherrrently with all the loads coming on (somewhere around 3-4k) and shut back off, why is there no recovery volt setting?

yes for sure i can but if i change it to 48v or 50v it still has the same effect, as soon as it hits those v's it will drop inherrrently with all the loads coming on (somewhere around 3-4k) and shut back off, why is there no recovery volt setting?
My LVX6048 which has a similar UI has a recovery voltage setting called "back to battery voltage" or something like that.

it does have that setting but i can only guess that is when it switches to line then back, i am completely off grid therefore when it hits low voltage it shuts the unit down, and even with that setting set higher it still comes back on at the low voltage setting

actually looking through the manual it doesnt have that same setting.

it has Setting voltage point back to battery mode when selecting “SBU” (SBU priority) in program 01.

but that doesnt do anything if there is no Line aka off grid

Last edited:
Are you using USE or battery communication?

Setting 01 needs to be SBU and then you go to setting 12. This is the voltage setting where the inverter switches back to grid power from battery mode. Setting 13 is the voltage at which the inverter switches back to battery mode, again setting 01 needs to be SBU. If battery type for setting 5 is anything Li, then it will use SOC instead of voltage.

Are you using USE or battery communication?

Setting 01 needs to be SBU and then you go to setting 12. This is the voltage setting where the inverter switches back to grid power from battery mode. Setting 13 is the voltage at which the inverter switches back to battery mode, again setting 01 needs to be SBU. If battery type for setting 5 is anything Li, then it will use SOC instead of voltage.
I am off grid completely so there is no grid to switch to and from

One needs to ask why the battery voltage drops when placing a load back on the battery.

It seems you really need to make your battery bank larger.

I'm not sure if repeated shutdowns every night is good for the unit long term.

You still need to set 01 to SBU or it won't work.

How much battery do you have?

I have tried that it does not work, it bypasses the voltage to utility because there is no load on the ac input and therefore goes past all the way to low voltage disconnect, at which point it shuts down the inverter, in the morning it turns back on as soon as its back above 46 it ignores the back to battery setting completely, im assuming because that program failed to init at all when it didnt switch to utility because there no load on the ac input

I have 50kwhr but at low voltage, when introducing a load of 3-5k your gonna get a voltage drop no matter what, if the inverter is set to 46v to cut off then at 46v it comes back on andif it even drops .1v to 45.9 it goes back off,

It seems you really need to make your battery bank larger.

I'm not sure if repeated shutdowns every night is good for the unit long term.
It's not repeated shut downs, it shuts down once at night and comes back on in the morning, and believe me if i could afford more battery i would

It's not repeated shut downs, it shuts down once at night and comes back on in the morning, and believe me if i could afford more battery i would
Do you hit 100% SOC? How much is the draw down overnight? 50Kwh would be a pretty good sized load overnight.

I think setting 13 is the one that you need to pay attention too. Even though you're off-grid, it would still be the voltage that it brings the batteries back online.

Back