diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 6.5K Off-Grid Inverter | 6500EX-48

Can I use one of these together with an AC Coupled system, for example Enphase IQ7+ Microinverters?

I have 13.2kw of inverter capacity, all Enphase

Quite interested in a pair of these to run my house (normal 200a split phase service).
What's the maximum imbalance between each leg?
Ie, can I have 3000 watts on one inverter and 5000 on the other?
What's the maximum surge capacity and time?
My well pump pulls ~37a inrush on each leg, 4440 watts; runs ~9a. Will it have any issues with this?
They would be wired as the primary feed to my main panel, feeding 2 subs. Grid would be fed to the inverters for backup / support only.

Also interested how they would handle table saws, miter saws and a 240V 1.5hp air compressor, obviously not all running at the same time.

Wait, What? so that means that we cannot connect the inverter grid-tie & have Automatic UPS backup?

Wait, What? so that means that we cannot connect the inverter grid-tie & have Automatic UPS backup?
I think you can. But, you (or apparently SigSolar) have to figure out how the unit handles N-G Bond and then maybe make some wiring changes or remove a bonding screw?

Quite interested in a pair of these to run my house (normal 200a split phase service).
What's the maximum imbalance between each leg?
Ie, can I have 3000 watts on one inverter and 5000 on the other?
What's the maximum surge capacity and time?
My well pump pulls ~37a inrush on each leg, 4440 watts; runs ~9a. Will it have any issues with this?
They would be wired as the primary feed to my main panel, feeding 2 subs. Grid would be fed to the inverters for backup / support only.

Also interested how they would handle table saws, miter saws and a 240V 1.5hp air compressor, obviously not all running at the same time.
If I understand the manual correctly, less than 325a imbalance at full load? What about half loads or 1/4 loads?

If the specs are correct it will handle the well pump, but how much imbalance will they tolerate?
If I were running 2,000w on L1, 3,500w on L2 and the well pump kicked on pulling a brief ~4,400w on each leg would the inverters handle it? Assuming ample battery and grid connected with solar / bat as priority.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-130348.jpg
    Screenshot_20220526-130348.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 10
Any idea how easy this is to do, or do I need to get an electrician so he could charge me an arm and a leg?
Very simple there are videos out there I used the micro Airsoft start. Make sure you turn off the disconnect for your AC do not touch the top of the capacitors. and you're good to go

Last edited:
If I understand the manual correctly, less than 325a imbalance at full load? What about half loads or 1/4 loads?

If the specs are correct it will handle the well pump, but how much imbalance will they tolerate?
If I were running 2,000w on L1, 3,500w on L2 and the well pump kicked on pulling a brief ~4,400w on each leg would the inverters handle it? Assuming ample battery and grid connected with solar / bat as priority.
I believe the phases are not shared, in that each leg would just be dependent on the capabilities of that inverter. So you could have L1 at 0w and L2 at 6000w with no issues. You could add an autotransformer at the panel to help with a leg that exceeds the limit of the inverter so same scenario, 0w on L1 but 9000w on L2. The AT would allow L1 inverter to add 3000w to L2. Again this is just a guess based on the setup & type of inverter (single phase, 120v)

I think you can. But, you (or apparently SigSolar) have to figure out how the unit handles N-G Bond and then maybe make some wiring changes or remove a bonding screw?
nothing to do with any of that I was referring to sell-back hybrid,
the other thing is the input support feature of some, this is just a passthrough

I'm looking at using one of these with one of the Lifepower batts, adding about 4kw of panels a bit later. I want to hook the inverter input to our main panel via a breaker. From what I've gathered from the spec sheet and discussions on here, a 60A breaker and 4awg wire would be sufficient. (If I'm wrong please correct me.)

I'd like to run the inverter output to a critical loads sub panel, with a breaker in it that could handle the full power of the inverter. So, I'm guessing it should also be a 60A breaker? I base that on 6,500W/120VAC = 54.2A. And with that amount of current, 4AWG would be okay?

If I have one of the 5.12kWh batts, based on the spec sheet, would the BMS limit the max current to 100A? Therefore a 2 gauge wire from batt to inverter should be okay? Now if I add another of the 5.12kwh batts, I imagine I would need about 1/0 wire? I based this on the 90% efficiency of the inverter and needing more than 6,500W being powered by the batts (7,100W/48V batt) = 148A?

So, in the event of low battery and/or low solar output, the inverter can pass through grid power to the critical loads, and charge the batts? And, in the event of a grid-down situation, the inverter will automatically switch over to inverter power via solar/batts (provided they have sufficient power)?

THNN #6 wire is fine coming from the inverter to the panel, that's what Will used in his as well.

Just a warning you guys that are thinking of buying this Inverter to get it Grid Tied and certified by your local power company, you better make sure it will pass before you drop the money and find out something different.
The 6500EX is not UL Listed as @Will Prowse claimed in his first video, only the EG4 LifePo4 Battery pack is UL listed. The EG4LL is not UL Listed.

I am a member of the UL Database so I looked it up. I noticed in Wills second video he carefully says when referring to the Inverter and Battery and says "Everything you see on this wall is either UL listed or Compliant". That is now an accurate statement since the Inverter is compliant but is not listed. Therefore it is not going to Pass any kind of Inspection is if it not listed in the UL database.

This comes from another thread.

As far as regulatory approval goes, there isn't a difference between ETL, TUV, and UL listings. Inspectors treat them equally as they are all approved by the US Government as NRTLs. The inverter has TUV certification.

It's kind of funny you say that Richard because the MPP LV6548 has been TUV certified for a long time and everybody has stated that you cannot get it Grid certified because it is not UL listed. People including Will Prowse.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
LV6548_Compliant.jpg
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now all of a sudden because SS is selling it, that same certification will work. Can we get a pledge from Signature Solar that if it cannot be certified that all the customer who bought it based on that claim will get back their money?

Just a warning you guys that are thinking of buying this Inverter to get it Grid Tied and certified by your local power company, you better make sure it will pass before you drop the money and find out something different.
The 6500EX is not UL Listed as @Will Prowse claimed in his first video, only the EG4 LifePo4 Battery pack is UL listed. The EG4LL is not UL Listed.

I am a member of the UL Database so I looked it up. I noticed in Wills second video he carefully says when referring to the Inverter and Battery and says "Everything you see on this wall is either UL listed or Compliant". That is now an accurate statement since the Inverter is compliant but is not listed. Therefore it is not going to Pass any kind of Inspection is if it not listed in the UL database.

It's kind of funny you say that Richard because the MPP LV6548 has been TUV certified for a long time and everybody has stated that you cannot get it Grid certified because it is not UL listed. People including Will Prowse.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
View attachment 95993
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now all of a sudden because SS is selling it, that same certification will work. Can we get a pledge from Signature Solar that if it cannot be certified that all the customer who bought it based on that claim will get back their money?
Maybe a conflict of interest given there is now an affiliate link on the inverter. Agree with @robby some one is going to get screwed by their town if they demand that the equipment is listed vs tested to ul specs.. anyone pulling a permit for an install would be best suited to get pre approval prior to purchase.

View attachment 95993

Screenshot_20220526-170740_YouTube.jpg
I thought it was UL listed then while editing the video I found out it was TUV listed. Which Ian from watts24/7 told me couple days later is what the lv6548 had all along. Signature solar told me that the screw terminals for mc4 allows it to pass inspection. But Ian said the first lv6548 has passed inspection "hundreds of times". So I don't know what to think right now. Pretty annoyed by it all. Worked hard on those stupid videos and this happens.

Probably need to make sol ark videos and just get people to spend 3X as much so this issue just stops. Why can't the companies get this thing UL listed instead.

For me, I'm fully off grid and will never be attached to the grid, so hopefully no issues.

And here I was second guessing myself on building my own battery banks with raw cells instead of the pre-built EG4's ... And should have been more concerned about the inverter.

Thank goodness I live out of city limits and will never have an inspector anywhere near my system. As long as it is safe. I already have eg4 batteries so the 5-year warranty and the ability to utilize the grid for backup made it to where I went ahead and purchased two.
I am preparing for install and signature solar has been there for me. I am triple checking details needed to install this properly as per their recommendations.
I will be utilizing 5000 esus for my central AC and a few minor 240-volt loads. These 6500s will power my 120 loads as well as some 240-volt items that I use during the day. I'm excited to incorporate these into my system and put them to the test.

I'm curious.....
1.Has anyone ever tried to call growatt customer service and have them clarify any of their installation instructions?
2.Has anyone called mpp solar and was able to speak with a knowledgeable tech support in a timely manner?

I have not seen any of these companies put their products to the test. Create videos testing their products with different batteries and scenarios. I do not see any of these companies on a do-it-yourself solar forum conversing with the average Joe. I could be wrong but what I see is them trying to figure out what the customer needs and if they can give it to them feasibly at a reasonable price. To me this means a lot. It says a lot about these people and their values.

Back