diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 batteries - ok to use PWM charger?

gmbeihl

I just pre-ordered some 24V/200Ah EG4-LL batteries from Signature Solar to replace a flooded lead-acid battery bank. Looking forward to receiving them in another month or so.

I would like to connect these batteries to an old Trace SW4024 Dual Inverter Power Panel (http://www.solarhome.org/browseproducts/Xantrex-SW4024-Dual-Inverter-Power-Panel.HTML) with dual C40 charge controllers hooked up to approximately 2k of panels (1k per controller).

I'm concerned because the C40 is a PWM controller and I've heard rumors that these can damage BMSes and LiFePo batteries. Will the C40 be safe to use with my EG4-LL batteries or do I need to upgrade to a different charge controller to avoid battery/BMS damage?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I just pre-ordered some 24V/200Ah EG4-LL batteries from Signature Solar to replace a flooded lead-acid battery bank. Looking forward to receiving them in another month or so.

I would like to connect these batteries to an old Trace SW4024 Dual Inverter Power Panel (http://www.solarhome.org/browseproducts/Xantrex-SW4024-Dual-Inverter-Power-Panel.HTML) with dual C40 charge controllers hooked up to approximately 2k of panels (1k per controller).

I'm concerned because the C40 is a PWM controller and I've heard rumors that these can damage BMSes and LiFePo batteries. Will the C40 be safe to use with my EG4-LL batteries or do I need to upgrade to a different charge controller to avoid battery/BMS damage?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Just curious, what did you end up doing?

I have a similar system, a Trace SW4048 inverter with an Outback MX60 charge controller and 16 Trojan L16s (2x8).
My batteries are starting to fail and need to get something that is easier to maintain and lasts longer.
I was going to get 4 48V/100Ah EG4-LL batteries and probably an new charge controller.
The MX60 does MPPT but not Lithium batteries so there is no way to shut off the temperature compensation.

My PV input is also small, 2KW - 12 165W panels, 2x6 - 70Vmpp, 4.72A x 6 = 28.32A mpp = 1982W

My other concern is if that is enough to charge the LFP batteries.

Thanks

Just curious, what did you end up doing?

I have a similar system, a Trace SW4048 inverter with an Outback MX60 charge controller and 16 Trojan L16s (2x8).
My batteries are starting to fail and need to get something that is easier to maintain and lasts longer.
I was going to get 4 48V/100Ah EG4-LL batteries and probably an new charge controller.
The MX60 does MPPT but not Lithium batteries so there is no way to shut off the temperature compensation.

My PV input is also small, 2KW - 12 165W panels, 2x6 - 70Vmpp, 4.72A x 6 = 28.32A mpp = 1982W

My other concern is if that is enough to charge the LFP batteries.

Thanks
I'm still using the dual Trace C40 controllers. My panels only supply about 1.6kw max and the controllers don't understand LFP batteries. I'm hoping to switch to a Victron BlueSolar 250/100 controller with a VE.direct port that will talk to the EG4-LL's via pylontech protocol...

I can't set the coefficient to 0% but I did not think about just disconnecting it.
I'll check into that - looks like I can then just change the voltages manually.

I'm still using the dual Trace C40 controllers. My panels only supply about 1.6kw max and the controllers don't understand LFP batteries. I'm hoping to switch to a Victron BlueSolar 250/100 controller with a VE.direct port that will talk to the EG4-LL's via pylontech protocol...
The C40 controllers are enough to charge the batteries?

The C40 controllers are enough to charge the batteries?
Not really - it's slow going - I'm looking for new panels to go with the Victron eventually - the dual C40s can only handle 80*24V = 1.92kw - I'd like to charge the batteries faster...

Not really - it's slow going - I'm looking for new panels to go with the Victron eventually - the dual C40s can only handle 80*24V = 1.92kw - I'd like to charge the batteries faster...
Yeah, looks like we are in the same boat!
I did look at the Victron charge controller and the 150/60 would be a 1:1 replacement for my current Outback MX-60 with some nice features.
It may be wise to go with the 250/100 for growth potential - since panels are cheap now.
I just need to do something soon and will not buy FLAs again. I've lost 4 Trojan L16s in the last 2 months and had to reconfigure from 16 down to 8

Does it allow you to set temperature coefficient to 0%/degree?
I think you can disconnect temperature sensor and it uses a fixed voltage (check the manual)
If not, you could be able to substitute a fixed resistor for the sensor, to get zero compensation.

I checked the manual (thanks) and it looks like if I disconnect the BTS it will not use it so I can disable it that way.
I can then set my Absorb and Float manually and disable the equalization by setting the interval to 000 days.

I'll give it a try and see how it works!

Back