diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 in RV. Bad or good idea?

If the new trailer comes wired for 12V, with an inverter, 12V load panel, etc. why go 24v?
Seems like using the 12V model of the same style pack would be a cheap and easy installation. the 12V version is 400ah.

Yes, the rack style units from Signature include low voltage cut off, but they don't include a heating pad to keep the warm when it's below freezing, so you need to think about how to keep them warm when you need to use them in winter. I would assume you'd be keeping the trailer above freezing either way, if you were traveling anyway, but you do need to think about it.
many just buy heat tape like what they use for pipes in the winter, we kept it out of the base cost for the end user to decide

correct! as long as the operating temperature recorded in the BMS log does not drop below 0degrees F for discharge and 32 for charge
These responses from Signature Solar are not inspiring confidence. The product description says "reliable Built-In BMS, Voltage, Current, Temp. and Health Management." But in the above response regarding official support for RV/mobile applications it seems there is some expectation that the BMS might not actually prevent under-temperature discharge or charge. If that has been tested and tested to the point you can say "reliable BMS" on the website then it shouldn't even be a question, concern or caveat. In another response heat tape was mentioned. Heat tape is great to raise battery temp so operation can continue within temperature specifications. But that doesn't really address the accuracy and reliability of the BMS thermal question. I could see language stating, "so long as BMS temperature protections are not tampered with or bypassed so as to allow discharge below 0 degrees or charge below 32 degrees..." The only question should be the BMS failing, which is still a warranty issue.

If a lithium power system is engineered excellently and thoroughly and operated very precisely, the only need of BMS is for cell balancing. All the current, voltage, and temperature protections are needed because we're not building power supplies for critical systems in medical, scientific etc. We're on vacation in a camper using a power system budgeted accordingly. Sometimes unexpected things happen. I don't want to worry about my battery taking massive damage because it got colder overnight than the weather guy predicted and not ABSOLUTELY KNOW that the BMS is going to come through for me to shut down the battery. I'll just go without before risking such a financial loss.

I don't take pleasure in being so blunt but spending such sums of money is a serious matter regardless of income.

These responses from Signature Solar are not inspiring confidence. The product description says "reliable Built-In BMS, Voltage, Current, Temp. and Health Management." But in the above response regarding official support for RV/mobile applications it seems there is some expectation that the BMS might not actually prevent under-temperature discharge or charge. If that has been tested and tested to the point you can say "reliable BMS" on the website then it shouldn't even be a question, concern or caveat. In another response heat tape was mentioned. Heat tape is great to raise battery temp so operation can continue within temperature specifications. But that doesn't really address the accuracy and reliability of the BMS thermal question. I could see language stating, "so long as BMS temperature protections are not tampered with or bypassed so as to allow discharge below 0 degrees or charge below 32 degrees..." The only question should be the BMS failing, which is still a warranty issue.

If a lithium power system is engineered excellently and thoroughly and operated very precisely, the only need of BMS is for cell balancing. All the current, voltage, and temperature protections are needed because we're not building power supplies for critical systems in medical, scientific etc. We're on vacation in a camper using a power system budgeted accordingly. Sometimes unexpected things happen. I don't want to worry about my battery taking massive damage because it got colder overnight than the weather guy predicted and not ABSOLUTELY KNOW that the BMS is going to come through for me to shut down the battery. I'll just go without before risking such a financial loss.

I don't take pleasure in being so blunt but spending such sums of money is a serious matter regardless of income.
Ok so here is something to clarify:
-Our BMS 100% has temperature safety (4 sensors for redundancy and extreme safety) and shuts down a 0F (but also stops taking charge at 32F) no worries about damage here

it is also true that...
-If you strap a battery to a light pole or the bottom of an unheated RV in Montana and the cells drop below 0 degrees on a regular and long-term basis you will destroy your cells, no matter who you're talking to. If this is the way a customer must use a lifepo4 battery then we would energetically refer them to the competition ;)

We have a log from the temp sensors just to understand if the battery was kept under 0F for more than a week solid, but even then the main aim is to make sure that the stupidity stops in a rare situation, we have discretion and we have never turned down a warranty claim in the last 2 years with over 15000 units shipped so far. the general DIY public has been very competent overall, which is why we like serving you guys :)

So the bottom line here for our batteries our any other LIFEPO4, keep them from going below 0F by design unless in short term 1-off situations, in which case you will not be able to use them due to the BMS protecting the pack but that would'nt be the long term we are talking about

hope this helps guys

@mbab I should get my EG4 soon (it was ordered 8 weeks ago) and it's going in a class C as part of my project to install a mini-split heat pump.

@Generis kicked off the thread and I took his post as inspiration for my build. Lots of info and detail there but it's a long thread so I advise settling in with your favorite drink to get through it all.

Last edited:
@mbab I should get my EG4 soon (it was ordered 8 weeks ago) and it's going in class C as part of my project to install a mini-split heat pump.

@Generis kicked off the thread and I took his post as inspiration for my build. Lots of info and detail there but it's a long thread so I advise settling in with your favorite drink to get through it all.
Would you be willing to share about how that goes? I'm in just the very start of planning my system and still needing to determine the possible equipment install locations available in my 2021 Grand Design 2800BH. Knowing the size and shape of the battery will help that effort and it looking increasingly like the EG4 will be my solution of choice.

Oh, and that thread you shared is very good. Much benefit to be had from other's lessons learned in these install videos.

aangel
Are you going with 24V or 12V?
If the 24V (or more) could you share how you are accomodating the various 12V items typically found in RVs?
thanks,

Yeah, the RV roof AC units are energy hogs - really designed to run plugged in or with a genset.
Perhaps a window air unit or a mini-split might accommodate your needs and more readily adapt to solar/lifepo battery.
I'm new too, so cannot advise...but this gets bantered about here with good regularity. :giggle:

Last edited:
@mbab happy to...and you might want to follow the other thread for updates. I don't know if "following" a thread is possible on this forum.

@One Old Guy I'm going with 48V, which would have been best from the beginning but I was very new to all of this a year ago. See the post on this thread for the equipment I'm going with. There is a new crop of larger batteries that are 48V, including the EG4, and the addition of the mini-split that I want to run overnight means I need more cost-effective storage (where the EG4 comes in).

@Browneye yep, when boondocking I have to run my generator to get a/c with these inefficient units. The generator is loud and smelly, the a/c unit is loud and it's not conducive to working fulltime in my rig. Hence why I'm upgrading my whole system and going solar.

@Signature Solar @SignatureSolarUS
I am trying to setup your EG4 24V system in a truck with a camper. In this thread you mentioned several customers installed those models into a camper. I'm wondering if you have any recommendations on a DC-DC charger to allow charging from the truck alternator. I think the Victron Orion-tr 12V|24V-15A Non-isolated unit seems solid and allows custom charge profiles. Would this work with your EG4 battery? It seems like the vehicle engine is common charge source for RV/Trailers. What charging methods do you guys support, is it only with the shore power and Growatt units on your site?

@Signature Solar @SignatureSolarUS
I am trying to setup your EG4 24V system in a truck with a camper. In this thread you mentioned several customers installed those models into a camper. I'm wondering if you have any recommendations on a DC-DC charger to allow charging from the truck alternator. I think the Victron Orion-tr 12V|24V-15A Non-isolated unit seems solid and allows custom charge profiles. Would this work with your EG4 battery? It seems like the vehicle engine is common charge source for RV/Trailers. What charging methods do you guys support, is it only with the shore power and Growatt units on your site?
The thing about Engine chargers is that they have to be smart enough to keep a steady voltage above the pack voltage to operate well.
we are looking at a RS485 based bms connected charger to pair with our batteries but for the time being you should be happy as long as you do not push the voltage range too high (eg 3.55v per cell)

As far as discharge is concerned anything flies

The thing about Engine chargers is that they have to be smart enough to keep a steady voltage above the pack voltage to operate well.
we are looking at a RS485 based bms connected charger to pair with our batteries but for the time being you should be happy as long as you do not push the voltage range too high (eg 3.55v per cell)

As far as discharge is concerned anything flies
Any updates on that BMS connected engine charger @Signature Solar

Hi everyone! I posted this on another thread about a week ago but no replies so I thought I’d try here. Thanks in advance for any help.

I’ll be taking delivery of the EG4 24V 200AH x 2 for my travel trailer. Hoping to find a way to mount one on top of the other in about a 14 inch high space. They are both about 6.1 inches high per the specs, so I’m thinking I could build a box to mount these in out of wood.

Not sure that signature solar has suggestions for how to mount these when you only have 2 batteries (can’t buy the 3 battery rack). Could anyone who has already received and installed there's share some pictures or ideas of what they've done? Would be happy to share mine once I install but trying to make some plans in advance of taking delivery.

Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone! I posted this on another thread about a week ago but no replies so I thought I’d try here. Thanks in advance for any help.

I’ll be taking delivery of the EG4 24V 200AH x 2 for my travel trailer. Hoping to find a way to mount one on top of the other in about a 14 inch high space. They are both about 6.1 inches high per the specs, so I’m thinking I could build a box to mount these in out of wood.

Not sure that signature solar has suggestions for how to mount these when you only have 2 batteries (can’t buy the 3 battery rack). Could anyone who has already received and installed there's share some pictures or ideas of what they've done? Would be happy to share mine once I install but trying to make some plans in advance of taking delivery.

Thanks for your help!
I just built a box out of 2x3 this weekend to mount my 2 24v 200ah batteries. Used a scrap piece of angle to make a small shelf like the 3 battery rack. Haven’t put it all together yet, but will post pics when I have.

Ran across this video the other day, was interesting concerning RV use.
Do you have these batteries? Video seems like an advertisement and there are much cheaper batteries out there than enduro that would have similar specs.

Do you have these batteries? Video seems like an advertisement and there are much cheaper batteries out there than enduro that would have similar specs.
No, I don't have them. I did see where Enduro Power makes their batteries with no wasted space. I didn't think the price was out of line. These are designed for mobile applications and abuse. Not so much with server rack batteries although SS states they should stand up and many have used them. I look at the Enduro Power as an alternative to Battleborn if that is what one wants for a drop in replacement.

Back