diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4-LL Battery Commutation Issue Solved.

On My Workbench

I have solved the Commutations issue with the Signature Solar EG4 LL 48 volt batteries with the LCD display. I have 4 batteries all commutating with my laptop and I am only using one USB to RS 485 adapter. You can see the video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq4YNPOzUyA
The video is only 7:41 long but if you don't want to watch the entire video just jump to 3:05 and it will show you what I did to resolve it.
I included a drawing of how I have it wired. I have added video Part 2:

Last edited:
I did realize that the LL we're so much different than the Eg4 till I received my Eg4s this week. I watch about ever YouTube videos I could find and did not realize that. I figured they at least use the same software for bms tools.

I did realize that the LL we're so much different than the Eg4 till I received my Eg4s this week. I watch about ever YouTube videos I could find and did not realize that. I figured they at least use the same software for bms tools.
Apparently the EG4 LiFePower4 batteries and the EG4-LL batteries have deferent front panel DIP Switches that are used to set the Comm. address.
This was brought to my attention by a comment on one of my video by Craig Cabrey . The most significant and the least significant are reversed on the EG4 LiFePower4 batteries so for a pack ID2 on EG4-LL batteries the switches would be down, down, up, down and the same switch setting for pack ID 2 on the EG4 LiFePower4 batteries set the batteries to pack ID of 12. Is it possible for a company to be any more HOSED and stay in business?

I will chime in here.
"On My Bench" Thank You! Well Done!

I have 6 of the EG4 24V 200AH batteries.
I went with the 24V because my current Trace inverter has been rock solid for so many years. I have a magnum 48V ready as a spare so when the time comes I can re-cable them for 48V.
Received then on June 17th 2022.
I also built a rack on casters to organize the batteries.
So far the performance seems to be stellar. I wanted to be able to operate my mini split ac / heat pumps overnight so I need a fair bit of capacity.

I was struggling to communicate with more than 1 battery via the RS485 port.
Like you crickets from SS support (so far)
This morning I used your suggestion and built a cable harness with 6 parallel RJ45 jacks.
I have a tool for installing the male RJ45 plugs so it was easy to fab up the harness.
The battery addresses are set to 2-7.
I have communication with all 6 batteries using the supplied RS485-Usb adapter over about 150 feet of wire between the solar building and the house.
It was "a want" not a need but it makes me happy!
Thanks again!
Jim B

Back