diy solar

diy solar

Signature solar horrible customer service

You can buy 2-3 predators for what 1 Honda cost.
if you buy the warranty just load it up and as stated HF will replace.
And before it runs out you can reup it again and again then finally when it craps out you get a new one for free. Then you have to rebuy a fresh warranty at that point. Also, interesting..when I bought mine the lady said if we get newer generators you can also bring this one back and trade it in for the cost of the warranty and the original purchase price goes towards the newer gen. I did exactly without any fuss two years latter..took my old generator in and got a bigger one and only paid the difference and new warranty.

Reactions: D71
And before it runs out you can reup it again and again then finally when it craps out you get a new one for free. Then you have to rebuy a fresh warranty at that point. Also, interesting..when I bought mine the lady said if we get newer generators you can also bring this one back and trade it in for the cost of the warranty and the original purchase price goes towards the newer gen. I did exactly without any fuss two years latter..took my old generator in and got a bigger one and only paid the difference and new warranty.

Ok so buy 2-3 EG4 inverters and be done with it. When one quits you have another one on hand to replace it. Easy peasy

Yet people still buy the Honda.
Do you hang out with offgrid or camping folks like a outdoor life? You'd be surprised how many predators gens are out there since it's gained a good rep for being reliable. And, like I said harbor freights are everywhere which is helpful on the road. Affordable doesn't have to be crap!

I’ve had good luck with Harbor Freight customer service. Recently I bought a pressure washer and the piece where the hose connected sheared off the bolts holding the cover. I probably could’ve gone and bought new bolts and it might’ve worked just fine. Although it was a couple of months outside of the warranty of 90 days, Harbor Freight allowed me to return it for a new one as long as I would purchase an extended warranty when I brought the old one back.

So why does the Honda cost more? How is Hazard fright able to offer you the same product with a better warranty and customer service?
Maybe cause people prefer a brand. I don't know get a job at HF and figure it out.

Ok so buy 2-3 EG4 inverters and be done with it. When one quits you have another one on hand to replace it. Easy peasy
You're brilliant ..let me rip the inverter down every time it fails cause it's just the same thing.

I’ve had good luck with Harbor Freight customer service. Recently I bought a pressure washer and the piece where the hose connected sheared off the bolts holding the cover. I probably could’ve gone and bought new bolts and it might’ve worked just fine. Although it was a couple of months outside of the warranty of 90 days, Harbor Freight allowed me to return it for a new one as long as I would purchase an extended warranty when I brought the old one back.
That's another thing...I've never had to do this yet but I've heard from friends this exact same thing. They want to keep you as a customer and want a good reputation for more customers. They went the extra mile with you when they didn't have to...that's excellent customer service. Serious question, I'd assume you'd probably buy something there again since you had a good experience?

I have (2) 6500EXs running for two months so far and I have had ZERO issues. No shutdowns, no lights flickering, none of it. And I didn't even update my firmware.

I would wager 95% of the issues seen are customer self induced, and some customers very likely are either not technically capable or don't have the tools necessary to help diagnose their problem.

Good luck helping some guy over the phone who barely knows how use a screw driver figure out his flickering lights are being caused by a overtighened battery post connection that cracked the laser weld when he torqued it without a torque wrench.

I've learned a shit ton in this forum in the past 6 months and I'm a very capable person with both mechanical and controls. The information needed to DIY a cheap solar solution, especially for an entire house, is not trivial.
Amen brother I’ve been on Amazon looking at standard light bulbs in a 12 volt version if you what a good laugh read the one star reviews they will tell you how bad these bulbs are they just blow the minute you turn them on and they tried all 4 or 6 in different fixtures in the house with the same results so obviously the bulbs are bad

Yet people still buy the Honda.
Die hard loyalty ..... they built a good name..... they are way over priced now. Their former quality to price ratio made them famous.

Harbor Freight had a lot of junk when they opened the doors. They have improved. Most stuff is made in China..... or close to it... now. ?

Welders went through the same thing about 15 years ago. Went to light weight inverter tech and left heavy transformers. Miller hobart lincoln had Made in America on outside with china inside. ? Ppl would argue and fight over them.... saying all the chinese welders with inverters were junk. I've got an old HEAVY lincoln mig with transformer and think it still welds better then my inverter mig. The inverter mig is light and easy to move around to do flux core but has option to do gas - mig welding.

China is investing heavily in their population with engineering - education. They are also investing in their military ....... My uncle was a Navy in WW2 operated in China during the 2nd world war. He was a frogman. Now thanks to him have a cousin that is half chinese. He showed up and knocked on the Uncles door one evening while him and his french wife were eating dinner with their kids. Surprise surprise. The chinese abandoned their great wall with mentality that if anyone invaded that within a few generations they would be chinese. Last time China was a World power they were reduced to rubble and robbed by opium in the 1800's. Education is critical. Oh well now they are back. The chinese are training 100 to 1 special forces vs the USA. Sheer numbers. Same for their engineers around 100-1. The china silk road is coming back.

The Chinese still don't like the Japanese.... WW2 created a long standing grudge. The Japanese ruled China with a firm hand and a sharp sword. Lot of the chinese motors are Honda clones.

Do you hang out with offgrid or camping folks like a outdoor life? You'd be surprised how many predators gens are out there since it's gained a good rep for being reliable. And, like I said harbor freights are everywhere which is helpful on the road. Affordable doesn't have to be crap!

We have tried non-honda stuff in our fleet.

I started mowing lawns in 2nd grade. I never regret buying good stuff. When it still works 10 years later, I never complain about the price.

When something quits working when you need it most, you're never happy that it was cheap.

Honestly I don't know how some of you guys do it. After watching a few videos by "Adam De Lay" I am kind of surprised at not just the number of issues and run arounds but also the unreliable way these inverters work and the low overall efficiency they produce.
The first problem is that my wife would freaking kill me if the lights kept going off at night because I had to fiddle with something!
Secondly I cannot imagine being off grid and having an Inverter down for 2 hours much less several days while I trying to get support.
Also the need to even think about the equipment on a daily basis is just beyond my patience level, especially when I have so many other things going on in life.
These things are supposed to be set and forget pieces of gear, a replacement for the power grid that works as well or better than the grid.
I inspect mine once per month to clean off any dust build up.
Like our Sol-Arks. One phone call for a bad dongle. Fixed with another call after receiving the dongle. No time in 10 months without power to our home. It’s worth it to me and my family. Just skip that new truck, boat, razor or vacation. People wonder why I charge what I do for HVAC work. Because you are getting American Standard equipment, a licensed, insured, two year tech degree installer. Then one year free labor, 10 years free parts, 24 hr emergency service. Is it worth it to the DIY mini split/San Tan or SigSol guys? Of course not.

That's another thing...I've never had to do this yet but I've heard from friends this exact same thing. They want to keep you as a customer and want a good reputation for more customers. They went the extra mile with you when they didn't have to...that's excellent customer service. Serious question, I'd assume you'd probably buy something there again since you had a good experience?
Yes. I have had good luck there. I think as D71 stated, quality is much better there now. Biggest one time purchase was a car scissor lift a few years ago. $1399 delivered. Love it.

81C6E3ED-8F81-47FC-B247-60A8084A02E2.jpeg

Die hard loyalty ..... they built a good name..... they are way over priced now. Their former quality to price ratio made them famous.

Harbor Freight had a lot of junk when they opened the doors. They have improved. Most stuff is made in China..... or close to it... now. ?

Welders went through the same thing about 15 years ago. Went to light weight inverter tech and left heavy transformers. Miller hobart lincoln had Made in America on outside with china inside. ? Ppl would argue and fight over them.... saying all the chinese welders with inverters were junk. I've got an old HEAVY lincoln mig with transformer and think it still welds better then my inverter mig. The inverter mig is light and easy to move around to do flux core but has option to do gas - mig welding.

China is investing heavily in their population with engineering - education. They are also investing in their military ....... My uncle was a Navy in WW2 operated in China during the 2nd world war. He was a frogman. Now thanks to him have a cousin that is half chinese. He showed up and knocked on the Uncles door one evening while him and his french wife were eating dinner with their kids. Surprise surprise. The chinese abandoned their great wall with mentality that if anyone invaded that within a few generations they would be chinese. Last time China was a World power they were reduced to rubble and robbed by opium in the 1800's. Education is critical. Oh well now they are back. The chinese are training 100 to 1 special forces vs the USA. Sheer numbers. Same for their engineers around 100-1. The china silk road is coming back.

The Chinese still don't like the Japanese.... WW2 created a long standing grudge. The Japanese ruled China with a firm hand and a sharp sword. Lot of the chinese motors are Honda clones.
If something was made here and good quality I'd buy it over cheaper products ..because that's one part of the equation that destroyed this country. If you don't have a job cause you outsourced all your manufacturing it doesn't matter how cheap it is. Our politicians , both sides, sold this country out. What the whores in DC didn't give the Chinese they just stole it. They are notorious for stealing intellectual property. Sure is funny how their fighter jets and other military equipment looks just like our designs. You're right they are focusing on STEM and their military is focusing on training while ours is fighting for tampoons in the mens room and drag queens story time.

Yes. I have had good luck there. I think as D71 stated, quality is much better there now. Biggest one time purchase was a car scissor lift a few years ago. $1399 delivered. Love it.

View attachment 129499
I think BendPak made a lift like that. funny if they were made in same place. Hahaha

I've read that harbor freight 140 "inverter" mig works great. Their welders used to be JUNK. They improved. The Japanese use to have what we called "Jap Junk" .... I bought some new over priced bedroom furniture said made in Vietnam. Bought some black cast iron pipe to run a new gas line said Vietnam on it too. Hmmmm Vietnam replacing China. I looked at some of the old piping under my house it says USA on the fittings for a stamp.

Maybe someday the USA will start making stuff again.??

Like our Sol-Arks. One phone call for a bad dongle. Fixed with another call after receiving the dongle. No time in 10 months without power to our home. It’s worth it to me and my family. Just skip that new truck, boat, razor or vacation. People wonder why I charge what I do for HVAC work. Because you are getting American Standard equipment, a licensed, insured, two year tech degree installer. Then one year free labor, 10 years free parts, 24 hr emergency service. Is it worth it to the DIY mini split/San Tan or SigSol guys? Of course not.
I had an American Standard 16seer heat pump recently installed ..... it replaced a brand that heat and air guys bad mouth Goodman. The goodman heat pump had worked well for almost 20 years. The Ecobee Smart thermostat works well too. Hmmmmm have installed several cheap mini split for family friends and they are all still going.
If wasn't old and slow with bad back would have installed my own replacement Heat Pump. Several heat and air contractors here are rip offs - prices sky high.... a normal branded Trane heat pump system was quoted ~$15,000 ..... hell no. The trane quote came from a guy bad mouthing Goodman. Again the Goodman worked for 20 years. The American Standard heat pump was high at $7200 installed. I knew the owner of the heat air company got a deal. Hanging the new air handler from unistrut by myself is a bit much for me now. There was a time in the USA when most things got done by DIY..... ppl could not afford to pay others to do the work. Times have changed.... Like seen a young man standing on the side of road while the service vehicle changed his tire. Hmmmmmm I changed my own tires when I was a kid .... sad.
We have a serious problem in Our Country.
? Sad.

it is amazing what you find when start chasing names of who makes what for heat and air equipment. ??

Last edited:
Back