diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar wins... I lose.

bertiojones

[Mod note: if you are not directly involved in this situation, please read through the thread before reflexively commenting (or at least the OP and this series of replies of comments from Richard of Signature Solar), many people are making non constructive demands for refund on OP's behalf not understanding that OP was refunded and that that is not the issue as well as other misunderstandings. This note is not meant to convey any judgement about the dispute/disagreement itself]

I didn't want to make this as I hate playing the "poor me" card. I am hoping that someone who is on the fence with purchasing from Signature Solar will have a better understanding of what could happen if you are in a similar situation.

I will keep this short.

05/13 - Bought 22 panels from SS. I used their more premium cost of shipping via Fedex Freight. I paid $796.18 in shipping.

05/17 - SS shipped panels.

05/26 - Received a pallet of 22 panels from Signature Solar shipped via Fedex. I recorded the pallet as it came off the truck. It was packaged well and had some minor damage on pallet but no dents or hard knocks on the corners.

06/02 - I unboxed the pallet and found 1 panel to be shattered. It had a forklift style knock on the backside and it was the outside panel. I reviewed my video and sure enough there were 3 puncture holes on the outside of the shrinkwrap. The damage was visible on delivery but wasnt unless you completely unstrapped all the panels.

06/02 - I reach out to SS via their online form to let them know of the damage. It was after hours but I wanted to let them know anyway I could ASAP.

06/03 - I call in to tell someone over the phone as I am seeing shipping claims are time sensitive. I speak with Dana. I let her know I have video of the damage that should help with SS getting their money back with shipping or filing an insurance claim. I tell her I really need a replacement as I can't install my panels unless they match the quantity and brand of the permit that was issued to me by my county. She tells me that there is some new policy that she isn't sure if it is on their website that they can only ship replacements if there are 4 panels or more damaged. She says to fill out a form she emailed me and she would get back to me. I fill out the form and attach photos and links to video right after getting off the phone.

06/03 - I receive an email back with a canned response (some sections were not even filled in) that I would only get a refund for the 1 panel and that is it.

I responded to Dana that without all 22 panels the entire set is useless and unable to be installed. Dana refused to ship the replacement panel as part of an internal policy.

Dana let me know the only way I would get the replacement panel would be to buy a minimum of 4 panels. I would be refunded the cost of one and I would have to pay for the shipping as well for a total cost of $1,112.18
I pressed Dana to confirm that the only way I was able to get a working set of panels was to pay more money to Signature Solar to ship me out more panels than I needed for the set to work. She confirmed that would be the only option. I attempted to file a claim with fedex on SS behalf and Dana asked me to hold off as they want to make sure they are reimbursed for refunding me the one panel.

~~~~~~~~~
So now what?
~~~~~~~~~
I researched everything and Dana is 100% right. They have zero obligation to send me another panel. SignatureSolar wins. My solar build is now being held hostage unless I purchase 4 more panels for $1,112.18.

As Dana says...
" This will conclude our obligations to you ... Signature Solar has fulfilled all ends of this transaction. You have received your shipment, with one damaged panel that we are fully refunding the amount of the panel back to you, as well as the shipment was received by you and that obligation has also been fulfilled."

At this point I am going to reach out to my County and hope they let me finish the build minus 1 panel otherwise I will need to resubmit the permit app.

Let this be a warning if you are buying panels that you buy way more than you need and if they are broken make sure at least 4 of them are broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should send you a replacement........... period.
There's no good reason why they can't.
I really hope that their internal policy is not, to create unsatisfied customers.

Edit: in light of the information provided below.
I see that we were mislead by the original post.
I stand corrected.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. Sorry about your bad luck. It's all about the dollar over there at Signature Solar.
I was going to buy $10k worth of batteries from them in about a month. Sad that's held up now over 1 broken panel.

I am incredibly empathetic to their shipping issues with carriers. That is why I offered to be a partner by documenting everything well and helping out with the FedEx claim. It just felt like they got their money so the rest is on me. Not the relationship I was expecting.

So what can be done with 22 panels that absolutely stymies using 20 or 21 panels?
Just the permitting was setup with 22 panels. In California the County might not be happy when it comes time to inspect and they see a missing panel.

Best case is they don't care and sign off.

Worst case is they make me resubmit for the permit which would require a lot of work.

Also I have racking installed in that slot ready to go which I could try and repurpose after I get sign off with a similar panel but once again not ideal.

I am not seeing anyone that sells a single Solarever 445 watt

Did you specifically order 21 in "new" cond. panels and 1 "damaged" panel? If not, then Signature needs to send you 1 in "new" condition Panel. Signature should have an Insurance policy shipping via FedEx to cover shipping damages

Did you pay with CC? If so, file a complaint with your card and they will probably back you up on this one. You could also give Signature the courtesy of buying back the entire 22 unit pallet and of course they pay the shipping to (plus refund your entire $ amount) and pay for their own shipping back

Don't let them win

Did you specifically order 21 in "new" cond. panels and 1 "damaged" panel? If not, then Signature needs to send you 1 in "new" condition Panel. Signature should have an Insurance policy shipping via FedEx.

Did you pay with CC? If so, file a complaint with your card and they will probably back you up on this one. You could also give Signature the courtesy of buying back the entire 22 unit pallet and of course they pay shipping (plus refund your entire $ amount)

Don't let them win
Ordered 22 new panels. One showed up damaged. I have video of the pallet coming off the truck showing the damage.

I am looking at doing a Chargeback through my American Express.

Welcome to the club. Sorry about your bad luck. It's all about the dollar over there at Signature Solar.
Well that is certainly a true statement from what I have seen in the past and the other problem is that the only person who seems to know how to do things properly is Richard.

Now in defense of Signature Solar I will say that EcoDirect which offers excellent customer service told me the exact same thing when I ordered my Panels. Renee told me before I even paid for them that I should inspect all the panels on delivery or write on the paper "Inspection Refused by Delivery Person". She told me upfront that even if I found one broken I cannot get another one shipped out. She recommended that I buy one or two spare panels just in case. Which I declined to do. In hind sight I should have bought one, but I got lucky.

She explained that a single panel will not survive shipping and that the minimum amount they will ship is four panels. She asked if I fully understood my options before she processed the credit card. I told her yes.

So the big difference is that I knew when they arrived that I had to go over the panels properly before signing for them, which I did. I also knew that if I signed and then found a broken one I was not getting a refund. I also knew that no matter what happened if I had a broken one I had to buy four panels in order to replace it.
This is how sales should be conducted!

I give props to Signature Solar for going further than EcoDirect in actually offering to refund one panel even if you signed for it. The problem is that they did not lay out all the other details before taking the money.

If I had gotten a broken panel there was nothing to complain about, I was told up front that I had options and if I decided not to take them them this is what would happen.

Last edited:
Ordered 22 new panels. One showed up damaged. I have video of the pallet coming off the truck showing the damage.

I am looking at doing a Chargeback through my American Express.
Good Lord Amex !!!
They might as well raise the White Flag and surrender now. I have never seen Amex Side with anybody except the Card Holder. That is why most stores will not take Amex.

Last edited:
I give props to Signature Solar for going further than EcoDirect in actually offering to replace one panel even if you signed for it. The problem is that they did not lay out all the details before taking the money.

I tried to meet in the middle with Dana and have her refund the shipping and I would buy the other panels but there was no movement. On top of that I technically didn't even qualify for them to ship out 4 panels to get the one I needed I would of had to buy 10 panels as that is now their minimum amount on their website.

Last edited:
I didn't want to make this as I hate playing the "poor me" card. I am hoping that someone who is on the fence with purchasing from Signature Solar might hesitate a bit or at least have a better understanding of what could happen if you are in a similar situation.

I will keep this short.

05/13 - Bought 22 panels from SS. I used their more premium cost of shipping via Fedex Freight. I paid $796.18 in shipping.

05/17 - SS shipped panels.

05/26 - Received a pallet of 22 panels from Signature Solar shipped via Fedex. I recorded the pallet as it came off the truck. It was packaged well and had some minor damage on pallet but no dents or hard knocks on the corners.

06/02 - I unboxed the pallet and found 1 panel to be shattered. It had a forklift style knock on the backside and it was the outside panel. I reviewed my video and sure enough there were 3 puncture holes on the outside of the shrinkwrap. The damage was visible on delivery but wasnt unless you completely unstrapped all the panels.

06/02 - I reach out to SS via their online form to let them know of the damage. It was after hours but I wanted to let them know anyway I could ASAP.

06/03 - I call in to tell someone over the phone as I am seeing shipping claims are time sensitive. I speak with Dana. I let her know I have video of the damage that should help with SS getting their money back with shipping or filing an insurance claim. I tell her I really need a replacement as I can't install my panels unless they match the quantity and brand of the permit that was issued to me by my county. She tells me that there is some new policy that she isn't sure if it is on their website that they can only ship replacements if there are 4 panels or more damaged. She says to fill out a form she emailed me and she would get back to me. I fill out the form and attach photos and links to video right after getting off the phone.

06/03 - I receive an email back with a canned response (some sections were not even filled in) that I would only get a refund for the 1 panel and that is it.

I responded to Dana that without all 22 panels the entire set is useless and unable to be installed. Dana refused to ship the replacement panel as part of an internal policy.

Dana let me know the only way I would get the replacement panel would be to buy a minimum of 4 panels. I would be refunded the cost of one and I would have to pay for the shipping as well for a total cost of $1,112.18
I pressed Dana to confirm that the only way I was able to get a working set of panels was to pay more money to Signature Solar to ship me out more panels than I needed for the set to work. She confirmed that would be the only option. I attempted to file a claim with fedex on SS behalf and Dana asked me to hold off as they want to make sure they are reimbursed for refunding me the one panel.

~~~~~~~~~
So now what?
~~~~~~~~~
I researched everything and Dana is 100% right. They have zero obligation to send me another panel. SignatureSolar wins. My solar build is now being held hostage unless I purchase 4 more panels for $1,112.18.

As Dana says...
" This will conclude our obligations to you ... Signature Solar has fulfilled all ends of this transaction. You have received your shipment, with one damaged panel that we are fully refunding the amount of the panel back to you, as well as the shipment was received by you and that obligation has also been fulfilled."

At this point I am going to reach out to my County and hope they let me finish the build minus 1 panel otherwise I will need to resubmit the permit app.

Let this be a warning if you are buying panels that you buy way more than you need and if they are broken make sure at least 4 of them are broken.
Where are you located?

I tried to meet in the middle with Dana and have her refund the shipping and I would buy the other panels but there was no movement.
There probably will be when this gets to 40 pages.
On top of that I technically didn't even qualify for them to ship out 4 panels to get the one I needed I would of had to buy 10 panels as that is now their minimum amount on their website.
Why on Earth would the minimum order be 10 panels? Are you sure about that?

Back