diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar wins... I lose.

When I crated for shipping it was 2x4 or 2x2 Frame nailed to furring strips and the cheapest 1/4 inch plywood. Things strapped inside of course. Fork truck drivers did their best Not to put a hole in it!

" ... anything else we could do that would not exorbitantly increase shipping costs? I'd love to hear it. ... ".

Maybe a thin sheet of plywood on the wide sides, or some other economical sheet goods that might offer a bit of protection?
Have you seen the price of plywood lately... ?

This is the recommended method per the manufacturers (standing panels vertically strapped to a pallet).
Hmm... Interesting.
I am suspecting standing panels IS NOT the right way to doing it.

I had 24 panels from China all arrived undamaged from a 2 weeks voyage by boat and 1 day by truck; 2 panels per cardboard box, all flat on the pallet and everything strapped to the pallet. No wood reinforcement or whatever on the sides nor top.

Hmm... Interesting.
I am suspecting standing panels IS NOT the right way to doing it.

I had 24 panels from China all arrived undamaged; 2 panels per cardboard box, all flat on the pallet and everything strapped to the pallet. No wood reinforcement or whatever on the sides nor top.
They are sent to us stacked vertically as complete pallets. We actually add all the extra stuff after we check the shipments to really make it known that it is fragile and can't have stuff stacked on top of it.

They are sent to us stacked vertically as complete pallets. We actually add all the extra stuff after we check the shipments to really make it known that it is fragile and can't have stuff stacked on top of it.
First thing freight companies do is toss the cones or anything that says do not stack on. We have to photo each one of those pallets to prove to freight companies when there is damage. They also do not read what is printed on pallets like "fragile". Remember, the truck you load in is not the truck that makes the delivery to the customer. Depending how far the shipment is , it may be interlined in multiple stop terminals and trucks. Many people may load and unload that pallet at each terminal. Space cost money in a trailer. I have seen drivers break a pallet down and then re-stack it at the destination just to make it fit. It does not matter which freght company you choose, they are all the same. Put as much freight in a trailer as possible.

If you would have read this, we literally did refund his money. That's why he's mad. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

I posted pictures of our shipping method. This is the recommended method per the manufacturers (standing panels vertically strapped to a pallet). We also attach corner pieces to protect against bumps and have several large warning stickers and collapsible cones on all 4 sides. I don't know when you last ordered solar panels, but it's been a very bad year for LTL shipping lanes and it shows in the increased amount of damage we see. I posted pictures of our shipments - let me know what you would change specifically.
I have purchased 28 panels total since February, 18 from A1 solar in 2 separate orders of 8 and then 10, they were shipped flat and no damage whatsoever. Ordered 10 from Signature Solar, they were shipped standing on side and 2 were shattered. A1 solar had very good plastic corner and side softeners between each panel and firm foam softeners between bottom panel and pallet. Signature Solar only had thin paper corners and did not even wrap the entire panels with shrink wrap- the mid-section was totally open and unprotected. A1 wrapped the entire stack before strapping it. IMO, Signature Solar is doing a poor job on packing and passing the buck by repeatedly stating it’s what the OEM recommended. Bottom line, my limited experience is that SIgnature Solar damage is far more likely than others. I did get a refund for the 2 and am satisfied but it won’t happen again. By the way, It was totally clear to me when I ordered that they would not replace 3 or less damaged panels.

I had them flat. You had them flat. Sounds like FLAT is the way to go.
SS should try them FLAT for a change before SS becomes a meme for "Shattered Solar"....
Of course this is a complex world, but just from the various comments on this forum it would appear that shipping flat can be very successful. Of course damage is going to happen whatever you do. But it sure appears that its far more common with SS. Appears is not a scientific term though.

SS should try them FLAT for a change before SS becomes a meme for "Shattered Solar"....
LG also use to ship them flat with Plastic corner spacers between each panel. The pallets where made of wood twice as thick as a normal pallet and all of the pallets are longer and wider than the panel. The whole thing had cardboard over it and then was banded down to the Pallet.

Another thing that has not been discussed is the quality of the Glass. I have seen several different new panels and the thickness and quality of the glass is typically proportional to the price of the panel for any given wattage.

When I picked up my panels from a local guy a few months ago they came off a palette where there were stacked flat. Got to the bottom of the stack and the last three were smashed beyond recognition. Forklift guys forks weren't long enough and they went right through the bottom of the panels when taken off the truck. The variable is how many times the palette is moved from truck to truck along its journey along with the competence of the staff that's driving the forklift. Been shipping stuff all over the world for the last 25 years and I've seen it all. You can try your best to pack things like a tank but if the driver drops it off the back of the truck(happened more than once), all the crates in the world won't protect it any better than a cardboard box.

They always tell everyone to order extra panels for your build to cover this exact situation. It's unfortunate that your panel was broken but in these current times people should expect damaged panels due to negligent shippers. It's something that's out of every distributors control.
It is ridiculous that you should order extra panels to cover damage. It is not the buyer's responsibility to package products appropriately. It is not the buyer's responsibility to have the shipper properly handle the products. Pass the buck and blame the buyer? That's B.S.

Have you seen the price of plywood lately... ?
I have...$29 each for the thinnest plywood at Lowes. The only good news is the lumber futures have cratered once again, so MAYBE some lumber price reduction is foreseeable.

I have...$29 each for the thinnest plywood at Lowes. The only good news is the lumber futures have cratered once again, so MAYBE some lumber price reduction is foreseeable.
By this time next year I not only see lumber prices dropping to an all time low but also the real estate market bubble fully popped!

Signature Solar, if the buyer reports damage on delivery date and refuses shipment because of damage.

Will the buyer be refunded for ALL costs associated with shipment, if equipment returned? Will you seek refund from shipper, or is customer required to do their own claims? Can claims for partial damage be made, and by who?

I am asking about everything else, not solar panels, as your policy is clear about that.

Lumber is starting to come down as suppliers are nearing overstock and housing is flat.
Not in Texas, lumber is at all time high and houses and apartments cannot be built fast enough for the buyers. It is a crazy market right now.

Back