diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar's new EG4 6000 120/240V inverter

Subdood

Photon Wrangler
I haven't seen any new threads regarding the new split phase 6kW inverter from Signature Solar, so I thought I would start one. I've been looking at getting a single EG4 6500 from them, but they're still on back order until early October. One of these split phase inverters wouldn't do much good for my needs right now.

Anyways, any thoughts on this new inverter? Anyone interested in getting one? From what others have mentioned on the EG4 6000 load test thread, is that it is basically a somewhat updated version of the MPP Solar LVX6048. Updated in that the PV voltage has been upped from 6kW to 7.5kW, plus the Voc limit is upped to 500V from 450V. Being that it weighs over 70lb, my guess is that it's a low frequency inverter?

@FilterGuy, you wanted to be tagged when a new thread on this inverter was started.

Last edited:
Would like to confirm the low frequency and the details of it. It's still half the weight of a similar output growatt. Would a heavier/larger transformer just allow for prolonged surges or is there more to this weight.

Also if anyone actually has one purchased as yet. Your review

The only way to confirm if it is LF is if someone did a tear down of one. I'm guessing by its weight (around 70lb), and its features that it's a revamped version of the MPP Solar LVX6048, which is a LF inverter. @Will Prowse did a review of that inverter, and it had a large transformer, so I'm guessing this is LF as well.

Also, see this thread:

@SignatureSolarJames is presumably watching that thread and will give whatever info he can.

I am guessing it is a lvx6048 with higher PV input voltage. I would like to see the idle consumption on the new eg4 inverter.

Last edited:
The only way to confirm if it is LF is if someone did a tear down of one. I'm guessing by its weight (around 70lb), and its features that it's a revamped version of the MPP Solar LVX6048, which is a LF inverter. @Will Prowse did a review of that inverter, and it had a large transformer, so I'm guessing this is LF as well.
Yes exactly. That's what I'm thinking.

I am guessing it is a lvx6500 with higher PV input voltage. I would like to see the idle consumption on the new eg4 inverter.

Hi Will, never chatted with you before. Thanks for all the vids you've done on solar technology. A few months ago I knew basically nothing about this field, but thanks to your's and other's vids, and this forum, I've learned a lot. It's been really interesting for me.

Don't know if you're allowed to say, but if so, are you going to do a review of this new inverter?

Last edited:
Secondly the 6048 allows a batteryless option with an AC+Solar input and no battery connection*. Does this allow to supplement AC input with Solar until batteries are bought. This is a major question I want to know if anyone does a indepth review please.

This info is based on product page info*

The area I am in I set up a system and can get about 8-10 hours of sunligt with the least parts still producing about 300 watts in those final and beginning hours with 10, 360W panels. So it will be pretty beneficial for me until the batteries are added.

@Will Prowse if you may please. Would greatly appreciate it if you can throw that in one of your excellent videos.

Probably a 240v 3000W draw(1500 on L1 and 1500 L2) and read device(maybe 2 of the trusty heat guns)

Then connect a certain capacity of solar and the 240v AC input. Get readings on of it actually reduces the draw from AC input and the usefulness of it

Last edited:
+1 on wanting to know the idle consumption also low load efficiency (ie does the idle consumption cheat a little, and when the inverter is putting out 50 to 100w does it suddenly use 200-300w) got bit pretty good on a growatt 6000lv. Dang thing consistently consumes 5kwh a day more than it puts out. This might make a nice replacement.

Got to thinking about this vs. the EG-4 6500. That one would mean I'd have to run a lot of 6 gauge (or maybe even 4ga) wire between my inverter, main and sub panels. Like $400 worth.

But, this one, while using an extra hot wire, would only need 10 gauge wire, plus, I wouldn't have to get two of them to get 240V. Total cost of wire would be about $205.

With wire as high as it is, plus the fact that they still have the 6500 on back order, this might be the way to go. Would like to know about its idle power consumption, plus how it handles the neutral/ground issue.

Secondly the 6048 allows a batteryless option with an AC+Solar input and no battery connection*. Does this allow to supplement AC input with Solar until batteries are bought. This is a major question I want to know if anyone does a indepth review please.
Ian from Watts 247 did a video review of the LVX6048 (which is very similar to this EG4 inverter), he ran it on solar only, no AC inputs, and it ran several power tools/heat gun without a battery. Later in the vid, he did hook up a small battery bank to give the inverter a bit more juice to handle larger loads. But, yeah, he ran one off of solar only. I don't think you're supposed to run two or more of these without a battery, tho.

I would post the video here, but don't know if it's allowed. Just look up Ian's Solar Projects channel on youtube, and play the LVX6048 battery-less vids, there's two of them I think.

I don't know the answer as to whether the AC input supplements the solar power. Maybe someone more familiar with the LVX6048 could answer that.

Ian from Watts 247 did a video review of the LVX6048 (which is very similar to this EG4 inverter), he ran it on solar only, no AC inputs, and it ran several power tools/heat gun without a battery. Later in the vid, he did hook up a small battery bank to give the inverter a bit more juice to handle larger loads. But, yeah, he ran one off of solar only. I don't think you're supposed to run two or more of these without a battery, tho.

I would post the video here, but don't know if it's allowed. Just look up Ian's Solar Projects channel on youtube, and play the LVX6048 battery-less vids, there's two of them I think.

I don't know the answer as to whether the AC input supplements the solar power. Maybe someone more familiar with the LVX6048 could answer that.
Thanks for this. Somehow I never saw his channel. Will check out out.

Yes, that's it. Thanks. I would've posted it but didn't think I could, for some reason. There's another short video of him using it battery-less to do some welding.

He also posted a vid on using two of them in parallel, and what's involved in setting them up, wiring, etc. Very informative. I know this is not the EG4 6000, but again, it is very similar.

Last edited:
From what I understood from Ian’s video, that unit CAN do 120v OUT single phase, but MUST have 240V AC IN. That is a problem for my situation.

They have a new video.. but it's like they aren't reacting to any pertinent questions. We understand it's 120/240 split phase and we know we can use the display to make changes to configurations...

Nothing on the details persons are asking for.?

Wiring configurations, internal details, major similarities/differences to the MPP and what features are lost/gained.

It is the same thing as the MPP/Sungold etc and they know nothing about it, but have many to sell.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest of it on here. I wonder if folks on here got their fill of EG4 products already?' I'm interested in it, but would like to know-

1) Idle power consumption;

2) Whether the neutrals and grounds are common, (my guess is no because of a low frequency transformer) and;

3) What happens with the output neutral and ground in bypass and solar/battery inverter modes? Do they bond in inverter mode, but not in bypass?

@RichardFromEG4, @SignatureSolarJames,
@BenFromSignatureSolar, any comments?

Can someone from Signature Solar post an explanation and/or working guide RE 6000EX AC coupling capability. (For use with existing Grid-Tie inverters)
A wiring diagram would be helpful to confirm how this feature operates.

Manual shows this @ setting #26
1662072222184.png

Back