diy solar

diy solar

Silicate salt batteries in series?

ms314

I'm building an off grid cabin where temperatures get below -20F so I'm hoping to use silicone salt batteries. I'm going to have 3kW of solar which will require a 48V system but I have not seen any silicone batteries above 12V. I'm worried about possible cell imbalances if I connect 4 in series without a BMS. Does anyone have experience with these batteries or know if they require a BMS? Thanks!

Per the website, these do not require a BMS. They show a scenario of 4S2P for 48 volts, so you should be OK.

Reduce that concern by *individually charging* each one, before you put them into your normal series service. Quite important to do this.

What?? The title of the link has 12/24/48V listed right in it.
Yes, I know they say it's okay to use them as a 48V system but they're only sold as 12V so I'm wondering if putting them in series has any effect on their lifespan. Or if anyone knows anything about the chemistry of these batteries that would help inform how I manage/take care of them long-term.

Reduce that concern by *individually charging* each one, before you put them into your normal series service. Quite important to do this.
Should I do this just once before wiring them together, or should I do it regularly? Is this just to make sure they have the same initial state of charge so when they discharge together one voltage doesn't drop too much before the others?

Should I do this just once before wiring them together, or should I do it regularly? Is this just to make sure they have the same initial state of charge so when they discharge together one voltage doesn't drop too much before the others?
You got it right. For sure at the start before you begin to use them

Afterwards while in your intended use, monitor them occasionally with a multimeter. If they are more than 0.1v different than each other, that might be pointing to problems (like loose or high resistance connections) developing.

Hard-core types, might break them apart once a year and do an individual charge again, and reassemble the cabling.

Back