diy solar

diy solar

Simple Panel Aiming

Rider

Solar Addict
I made a simple pointer that will show me the best sun angle. I used an old trailer tail light lens for a base. Drilled a hole thru it using a drill press to make sure the hole was straight. Painted it white so I could see the shadow better. Found a piece of threaded rod, nutted it on both sides of the lens. Make sure the rod is 90* to the flat base.

To use it, place it on the solar panel. You'll probably need to use some painter's tape or something to hold it in place when you tip it. A shadow will be created by the rod. Move the solar panel until the shadow gets shorter and shorter, then disappears, ie the rod is pointing directly at the sun. At that point, you'll be getting the maximum solar gain. No need to be critical about this, the shadow will shift in a few minutes anyway as the sun moves across the sky. (yes, the earth is the center of the universe and everything revolves around us.... 1569591470559.gif ) If you do this at solar noon, you'll be getting the best average gain for the entire day and days to follow. Re-adjust once a month, or sooner if you are looking for that extra watt.

20190914_144422.jpg

What kind of racking system do you have to adjust the tilt?

Back