diy solar

diy solar

Simple Swap?

Micl Gee

I have an RV with a single 12 volt deep cycle lead acid battery. Can I just swap out to a Lithium and not purchase a lot of extra stuff? Thank you.

The options for something like that vary from Value Brand drop-ins (some questionable) or go Name Brand like Battleborn with 10 year warranty which cost $950 USD +/- for a 12V/100AH battery, or SimpliPhy, Relion and so on. The Charging is the tricky part as most RV's have a converter / inverter and charger which are setup for Lead Acid and some of those are NOT compatible as they have charge profiles which cannot be adjusted for LFP. If there is Alternator Charging as well, that adds extra complications which need to be addressed.

It would be better if you could identify Make & Model of Inverter/Converter/Charger gear you have. What size 12V Battery you presently have and what your goal is, with regards to amp hour capacity etc.

At a bare minimum, I would make sure your converter isn't using a FLA profile .... you don't want it trying to do an equalization cycle.

As a SAFETY PRECAUTION is highly recommended to set Equalize and other such settings to LOW & Acceptable LFP Voltage when doing the config setup even IF you are not using EQ. This is done as a "Just in Case" fallback safety, in case someone messed up cause they are in a rush or not paying attention. An OUNCE Prevention in this case can save Thousands in a Cure.

My SCC & Inverter/Charger have EQ capabilities and NOT Used but still set to just below max LFP voltage for my 2V system. I've accidentally forced in ON with the SCC Software but was lucky because of my settings being done with such precautions.

I would not think that’s a good idea, but all I have to compare it to is my fifth wheel.

I had a 92 ah 12 volt before my solar install that I have no charging data on except it came with a generic charge converter.

After the install, I have a 440 ah FLA battery bank 12 volt. I use my converter on cloudy days to charge the battery, and it will push 15 amps max into the battery on bulk at and then the amperage tapers down when it enters absorb at 13.6 volts. I can’t say for sure but I’m sure there’s a float charge.

Also no adjustments can be made to the converter except popping the cover.

So with a low voltage charge and a float charge and me not being able to adjust it, I would not drop a $1000 battleborn lithium battery in it.

There’s also the debate about if a lithium converter for an RV is a good charge profile.

So as a followup to my original post at the start of this thread, I visited my 5th wheel today in storage and took out the "wall" where my power converter is located and it's a WFCO 55amp power converter. Model WF--9855. input 105-130VAC, 950W, output 13.6VDC 55amp. The current battery is a one year old Duracell Group 27DCX marine and rv deep cycle. At this point, I'm wondering about just purchasing a simple folding solar array kit to use for one or two stays without power (just using led interior lights).

A single group 27 battery about 100 ah, is plenty for LED lights. That’s 50 ah usable, or 600 wh. That would not be a hard install.

If you start to turn a fan on, either ceiling, stove or restroom, that draws a bit more power than the LEDs. Add on a TV and a couple other not too much. Things, and a second G27 battery may be needed.

So, as long as LEDs are all you power, and you shut them off when not used, you should be fine.

I only know my RV< and I think a 55 amp charger is way too much for a single group 27 battery, that would be a perfect size for my 4 golf cart batteries that are 458 ah. My OEM converter that came with the trailer, don’t know the rating, but it pushes 15 amps charging until voltage reaches 13.6, then it tapers down the amperage.

Back