diy solar

diy solar

Simplest way to charge a standalone LFP battery?

Use a cheap 10 amp power supply, set the voltage to 13.6v or 13.8v, connect, and wait until current drops below one amp.
As long as the cells are reasonably balanced, should get you 98%, cheap and easy.

What happens if I don't disconnect? Will the current just drop to zero, or am I relying on the BMS to protect the battery at that point?

Can't help feeling that an actual charger will be a simpler solution that doesn't need to be watched. Want to be able to stick the battery on charge and not have to think about it again. Of course I could be over estimating the abilities of a cheap charger.

a rather safe battery charger is an isdt Q8 max...it is basically a high current DC to DC converter that is programmable.
I guess the cheaper Q6 Nano would work as well? 8A is about right for an overnight charge.

What happens if I don't disconnect? Will the current just drop to zero, or am I relying on the BMS to protect the battery at that point?

Can't help feeling that an actual charger will be a simpler solution that doesn't need to be watched. Want to be able to stick the battery on charge and not have to think about it again. Of course I could be over estimating the abilities of a cheap charger.
It will drop to zero, you don't need to wait that long.

I guess the cheaper Q6 Nano would work as well? 8A is about right for an overnight charge.
What, yet another smart charger that requires a power supply to run? If you have access to the cells inside the battery, and wish to buy that plus the power supply to run it.

Apparently you are having problems with your current supply that are easily fixed, so the solution is to buy more?

What, yet another smart charger that requires a power supply to run? If you have access to the cells inside the battery, and wish to buy that plus the power supply to run it.

Apparently you are having problems with your current supply that are easily fixed, so the solution is to buy more?
I'm building a system for a liveaboard boat. I will have much better access to 12v than to AC.

I'm building a system for a liveaboard boat. I will have much better access to 12v than to AC.
Unless it is substantially above what you want to charge to, you need a buck boost converter or a battery to battery charger. The battery to battery charger usually has one built-in, and since it is designed for RV use would probably suit your application well. More expensive, but it is designed for the purpose.

You should still make new leads for your power supply. Like I pointed out, just this past week a user went from 3.2 amps to 9.8 amps charge just by doing that. Not the first with that problem, won't be the last.

Can't I just run it from my 12v batteries? Not so handy when but on a boat I suppose.
yep, the isdt can take almost any other DC power source you happen to have and convert it into what you need...very handy.

fyi, the isdt Q8 is completely programmable as to voltage and current limits...
This basically lets you get a really smart battery charger that will work with a really cheap power source, which you may already have laying around.

you do not need to use the Q8 as a balance battery charger if you do not have access to individual cells (its called unbalanced charging, basically its just a pure DC-to-DC power converter).
1626014559459.png

These ISDT chargers look really useful.

Total thread drift, but the system I'm building on the yacht has a LFP bank with its own chargers and loads, and a separate FLA system. I'm using a 60A B2B to allow the alternator to charge the LFP, but I'd like a way of charging the FLA from the FLP. The ISDT looks perfect for this.

fyi, the isdt Q8 is completely programmable as to voltage and current limits...
This basically lets you get a really smart battery charger that will work with a really cheap power source, which you may already have laying around.

you do not need to use the Q8 as a balance battery charger if you do not have access to individual cells (its called unbalanced charging, basically its just a pure DC-to-DC power converter).
View attachment 55794
Or get a buck boost converter for cheaper.

The ISDT is a good product, but if you aren't going to use the balance portion, why spend the extra money. He still needs to make leads to make it work.

Two examples, you still need to build proper cables for them to work.

Riden also makes some excellent products.

Last edited:
Total thread drift, but the system I'm building on the yacht has a LFP bank with its own chargers and loads, and a separate FLA system. I'm using a 60A B2B to allow the alternator to charge the LFP, but I'd like a way of charging the FLA from the FLP. The ISDT looks perfect for this.
I just got a Renogy 40 amp DC to DC charger. Their website had (and maybe still has) a "spin the wheel deal", and they gave me a $50 off coupon (Discount code was EMPOWERED, give it a try). It was under $100 because of the coupon. It's worth a shot to go to their site and browse for something you like and see if the coupon spin wheel comes up or try the code above.

My absolute favorite part about the charger is with an old 600 watt desktop computer PSU (should be easy to get free in the trash or dirt cheap on craigslist), you can charge at a full 40 amps from the wall. You could use a 300-or-so watt supply for 20 amp charging. It's basically two chargers in one. I imagine you could solder some XT60's or 90's on to the PSU output wires and one on the wires that connect to the DC-DC charger to make an easy plug-n-play charging system for AC or DC.

Setup for AC power : AC wall plug -- computer PSU -- quick connector -- DC to DC charger -- quick connector-- Li battery.

Setup for DC power on boat: alternator / solar / generator -- house battery (or skip and directly connect to alternator) -- quick connect -- DC to DC charger -- quick connector -- second battery -- loads.

Their DC chargers have a "half mode" too, where you can cut the amperage in half. So a 20 amp unit can output 10a or 20a, the 40 amp unit can put out 40a or 20a.

To be honest, without the coupon for Renogy, I would have bought a Victron Orion, but it costs WAY more, and the Renogy seems to do the job well.

Ok thanks... saving money is always good. I hope I'm not making things muddled by taking about different requirements for whatever charger/PSU/transformer I end up using.

So to start over, I need a way to charge a 60Ah LFP drop in battery. Mostly this will be charged on a boat where it will be more efficient to use 12v as the source. I'd consider an AC charger instead if that was a cheap and simple option, and that would give the bonus of being able to charge when ashore, which might be handy.
The battery can accept 30A charging current, I could live with a lower current, min 5A.
I want charging to be totally automated, so I can stick it on before going to bed and have the battery ready to use in the morning.

As an aside, I would also like a way of charging a lead acid bank from my boat's main LFP bank. A suitably configurable charger might be able to do both jobs, but it would have to be easy to use and able to work in automatic mode, i.e dropping to float voltage by itself.

This doesn't have to be all the same unit, but I'm guessing it may work out cheaper to do it that way.

With a simple buck/boost converter, I'm guessing that will work on for LFP so long as the voltage is set conservatively. But not ideal for FLA? And yes I know that's not the question I originally asked.

With a simple buck/boost converter, I'm guessing that will work on for LFP so long as the voltage is set conservatively. But not ideal for FLA? And yes I know that's not the question I originally asked.
Verify the buck/boost is rated for charging a battery. The design needs to limit power and let the voltage fold down. Many are designed to provide a maximum current at fixed voltage and expect the load to be lower than the maximum. A battery can overheat or burn out this unit.

Ok thanks... saving money is always good. I hope I'm not making things muddled by taking about different requirements for whatever charger/PSU/transformer I end up using.

So to start over, I need a way to charge a 60Ah LFP drop in battery. Mostly this will be charged on a boat where it will be more efficient to use 12v as the source. I'd consider an AC charger instead if that was a cheap and simple option, and that would give the bonus of being able to charge when ashore, which might be handy.
The battery can accept 30A charging current, I could live with a lower current, min 5A.
I want charging to be totally automated, so I can stick it on before going to bed and have the battery ready to use in the morning.

As an aside, I would also like a way of charging a lead acid bank from my boat's main LFP bank. A suitably configurable charger might be able to do both jobs, but it would have to be easy to use and able to work in automatic mode, i.e dropping to float voltage by itself.

This doesn't have to be all the same unit, but I'm guessing it may work out cheaper to do it that way.

The Riden is quite versatile in voltage range, a quality product, etc. But you pay for that. Program it via USB, Bluetooth, etc. Even third party firmware written for it. It is not the cheapest option, like the ISDT it requires power to work, the power can be obtained from an external A/C power supply, or another battery. It's not suitable for charging lead acid batteries.

The ISDT is an excellent product, more versatile in many ways and supports greater charge rates, and lots of features such as cell voltage. For some reason it seems difficult to find out if it is a buck boost converter, not sure why. It also requires external power, it may or may not work as a battery to battery charger. Likely it will, but a definitive answer is difficult to find. It's not suitable for charging lead acid batteries.

A Cadillac product designed for exactly what you want to do, simple and easy to operate, suitable for lead acid or LiFePO4:

Everything requires proper leads to operate. You described the symptoms of your previous A/C power supply that you still have, the solution is to build proper leads.

Go from 3.2 amps:

To 9.4 amps:

Simply by changing the leads. A VERY COMMON PROBLEM.
Get some proper cable and crimp connectors, you will need them for any product. The cables included with your power supply should be thrown away, otherwise someone will try to use them.

To charge LiFePO4 batteries, cheapest option is to use a buck boost converter. Like I said, no fancy charging algorithms required, just set the right voltage and wait for current to drop. Most of the cheap options, you likely need a fan to run at rated current.

Cheapest options (examples) to battery to battery charge LiFePO4 batteries:

Every solutions requires PROPER LEADS. Do yourself a favor and build or get a set for your current A/C, 30v at 10 amp power supply. All of your description of problems describe EXACTLY what happens with garbage leads included with most supplies. Lots of other examples in this forum about other users with exactly the problems you describe. You will need proper leads for EVERY solution, start now.

Charging lead acid batteries should probably be left to your solar charge controller that can handle float, equalization, etc.
LiFePO4 cells are different. They are quite happy to take high and low current charges, set any power supply to 13.6v or 13.8v and wait for current to drop under an amp. That's 3.4v or 3.45v per cell, waiting until current drops gets you approximately 98% of rated capacity (according to a few dozen tests I've run).

Back