diy solar

diy solar

Simplest way to keep a battery warm?

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So my FLA batteries spend months at a time not doing anything and while I can keep them topped up, seeing -10F on the thermometer isn't uncommon. I'm planning on building an insulated box for the batteries, but I know nothing about heating pads/blankets/wires/cats running off the solar to provide the heat. Everything I know about heaters would kill the batteries faster than my little 200w system could put it back in.

What am I looking for? I'm sure there's terminology I don't know.
Tips & Tricks? I know I need to leave ventilation out the top, but do I need any spacing around the sides/bottom?
What kind of math is involved?

And more importantly: How do I do it on a budget? Plywood is what it is, and I often wonder if a knock-off Yeti cooler would be cheaper than plywood + foam insulation if the batteries would fit.

OK, what am I missing besides all that guys? :unsure:

There is no need to keep fla batteries warm during storage as long as they are charged up. Mine have been at my cottage for 7 years now and I get -30C each winter

There is no need to keep fla batteries warm during storage as long as they are charged up. Mine have been at my cottage for 7 years now and I get -30C each winter
Key here is Charged up! If hey get depleted and it is cold, they will freeze. And burst.

here is my battery box here is my battery box , it get cold here -0 in the garage .
The battery’s do stay a little warmer 15o or so , if they charge every day they will stay around 45o
I don’t worry about it , my solar gets covered with snow .
I just turn my system off , I don’t get full power from clod battery’s but the battery’s will last longer .
8E6479DC-94D8-4465-BEA8-145F8B2D4FEF.jpeg

The box needs venting I have a small fan behind the lid .
I’ve left the system off for 10 weeks over winter and they lost only a few % of power .
You can keep them charging if your panels dont get covered with snow .

Back