diy solar

diy solar

Simultaneously connecting output from inverter and mains power

SolarNabq

Hi, just joined.

I have a very small home solar system comprising 50w 12v solar panel, 2x 12v Batteries, 500w inverter. This is a prototype excercise to assess viability. My question is -

Can I connect my user devices (TV, satellite, wifi etc) simultaneously to the solar output and the mains supply ?

My reason for asking is as follows. The solar power and battery storage is used as backup power for when we have a power cut. It is not our intention to run the whole household but just maybe, TV, Internet and a fan and small light when the power goes out. The system works fine currently but means, when we have a power cut, unplugging from the mains the devices we want to continue using and plugging them into the solar output. Then when the power returns swapping them back again.
We live in a small village in Egypt, so sunlight is no problem but equipment is - cant even get a double pole double throw switch of sufficient rating, so no automatic switching method is available.

My idea is to use 2 switches. One will connect a series of sockets to the solar and the other will connect them to the mains. As I say I cannot get 1 switch to perform both operations. In this way I can power selected items from solar backup or mains.

This works but my worry is if I inadvertently turn one on before I turn the other off, both sources will be connected not only to the devices but to each other and I am not sure of the implications / dangers.

Thanks in advance

Why you do not choose a whole solar system? It is risky for you to build a solar system. Your idea is risky. If you want the 2 systems work together well, that will be another device, but it will be complex and cost more. That is a build-in UPS module.

@SimonSmithSolar - 'Why you do not choose a whole solar system?' - quite simple - money ! and would take years to recoup investment, if ever. Had some stuff available so seems a waste not to use it if I can.

If you don't mind my asking, why can't you order a proper inverter with mains power pass-through ?

Is there some sort of legal limitation or trade limitation?

Back