diy solar

diy solar

Single Outlet Circuit Breaker

JASHOTZE

So I’ve decided against wiring my inverter into my rv’s AC distribution panel due to a few different reasons. I’m going to run 14/2 Romex from the inverter to a single outlet co located to my inverter remote switch. This way if im
Boondocking and need AC I can turn on the inverter and plug in what I need.

I’m struggling to find a stand-alone 15 amp circuit breaker though. Does anyone know of a good breaker to use with a single outlet for 15 amps?

The big question is how to mount the breaker. Will there be a small breaker box?

Din rale mount:

So I’ve decided against wiring my inverter into my rv’s AC distribution panel due to a few different reasons. I’m going to run 14/2 Romex from the inverter to a single outlet co located to my inverter remote switch. This way if im

I’m struggling to find a stand-alone 15 amp circuit breaker though. Does anyone know of a good breaker to use with a single outlet for 15 amps?
What size inverter? 2400 watt I would pull 12-2 and skip the breaker.

Does the inverter have a breaker on its output? If so, just run the wires to a GFCI socket and call it good.

The inverter is a 2000W Renogy. The wired output supports up to 30 amps but since i'm using 14/2 and only one outlet I definitely need it breaker'ed to 15 amps. I am not trying to build out a breaker box due to size and seems unnecessary.

The links you put on i saw on amazon but the push button ones seem like the wrong fit in this application. Ideally I'd love to find a thermal style breaker like blue sea has and many people use between panels and MPPT. But I cant find any down to 15 amps.

I would need to check but am pretty sure the 3-prong plug outlet is breaker'ed internally to 15 amps but this is mounted in a not very accessible location (under a bed) and it feels a little janky to have a cut extension cord. I would prefer to have the 14/2 to a breaker and then an outlet in a box.

You need an ac current fuse or breaker located at the inverter that is sized to protect the wire (awg) to the outlet. Depending on the insulation class that could be 15A, 20A or 25A. #1 Fuses protect wires!
I do not recommend using solid wire in a RV. Stranded. Preferably marine grade. But I have used a heavy duty commercial extension cord. Have you checked the voltage drop over the distance you plan to use 14awg ?

You need an ac current fuse or breaker located at the inverter that is sized to protect the wire (awg) to the outlet. Depending on the insulation class that could be 15A, 20A or 25A. #1 Fuses protect wires!
I do not recommend using solid wire in a RV. Stranded. Preferably marine grade. But I have used a heavy duty commercial extension cord. Have you checked the voltage drop over the distance you plan to use 14awg ?
Yes I know to fuse/breaker to the wire size, hence the 15 amp for the 14/2 romex.

I know the stranded wire/braided in rv conversation but this wire is all contained in the same compartment as the shore power plug and ac distribution which is all 10/2 and 14/2 romex. None of it is routed through the walls. The distance is only about 2.5 feet. My question is about sourcing the breaker I need between the inverter and outlet...

I fabricated a box with a CB. One of those grey plastic boxes with a cover available at Lowe's or Home Depot. A wall box could be modified to hold a single or multiple CB or fuses.

I fabricated a box with a CB. One of those grey plastic boxes with a cover available at Lowe's or Home Depot. A wall box could be modified to hold a single or multiple CB or fuses.
Did you wire a small bus bar to clip the breaker in?

Also ive seen little plug in adapters that have a "built-in" breaker, but none that seem legit or UL listed. Anyone know if these have been tested anywhere?

Only other thing I would advise against is using Romex. Your RV is an environment with significant vibration. Solid core wire will quickly work harden and become brittle last thing you want to have happen is a wire break on you.

What you want to find is the equivalent gauge stranded wire. This will easily handle the vibrations.

Only other thing I would advise against is using Romex. Your RV is an environment with significant vibration. Solid core wire will quickly work harden and become brittle last thing you want to have happen is a wire break on you.

What you want to find is the equivalent gauge stranded wire. This will easily handle the vibrations.
Then why is every RV made wired with Romex for AC?

Are they? If so, that scares the poop out of me. I was working on a friend’s 5th wheel, and while it looked like romex, (white jacket, 3 conductors), it was in fact stranded wire that it used. Not just straight household romex.

Reactions: Zil
Are they? If so, that scares the poop out of me. I was working on a friend’s 5th wheel, and while it looked like romex, (white jacket, 3 conductors), it was in fact stranded wire that it used. Not just straight household romex.

The RV's that I've worked on have used Romex or Romex-like wire on the AC side.

I have seen both. Some with stranded wire that looks like typical romex found at Home Depot and some other RV's with solid Romex like in your S&B.

Escape Trailer Industries used 12/2 Romex for the kitchen and 14/2 Romex for the rest of the camper.

I installed a 1500 watt inverter that has built in GFCI for both outlets. I used a cut 10 awg extension cord (they're hard to find) that goes to the 12/2 Romex, spliced using Wago lever nuts. The circuit wired by ETI has a line going to the outside plugs and then to the kitchen outlet using 12/2 Romex. It was disconnected at the GFCI outside outlet and I just spliced at the disconnection. The inverter has an internal breaker. Works great.

Enjoy,

Perry

Back