diy solar

diy solar

Single Pv and multiple charge controllers

Dunkirk

Hi. I have a dc water pump rated 110v-150v, 1500watts and has a controller with mppt function. I also have 8pcs 330watt panels that will be in 4s2p to give 160v 20amp. I have an epever cc 200v 60amp. I would like to connect both the pump and the epever scc (in parallel) to the solar array so that whenever the water tank is full (pump is off), the 48v 400ah lead acid vrla battery bank gets charged. Will this work? What precautions should I take?

Welcome to the forum.

MPPT controllers need their own arrays. If you parallel them, you may find the EPEVER is grabbing all the power when you'd prefer the pump is running. The dual MPPTs will fight over the array and the results will be unpredictable.

Better to have a switch that selects between controllers.

thanks @snoobler. I am toying with the idea of doing an SSR switch operated by the float switch in the tank. I will put Y connectors on each -ve and +ve lead coming from the panels. One +/- pair will go to the pump via a normally closed SSR and the other pair will go to the MPPT via a normally open SSR. The two SSRs will be operated by a single float switch on the input side. The SSRs inputs will be in parallel on the float switch circuit.
Can this work?

Possibly. Have you located a suitable SSR with sufficient DC voltage and current ratings?

I am still very early in the process but I have seen some dc 24-200v 40amp ssr on alibaba. Still researching on quality and whether they have both NO and NC versions.

I personally would not consider an Alibaba sourced device. One is taking a risk assuming they meet their spec.

Back