diy solar

diy solar

SIO2 Dioxide Batteries.....oooh the questions I have!

SiGuy

Hey so looking for a decent battery my solar shed and came across these Deep-Cycle Recyclable SiO2 Silicon Dioxide Battery. Does anyone know about them? how do they stack up to lithium ion and Life / lipo batteries. If I get them what options do I choose for chargeing on my charge controller as there isint an option for that type of battery. I dont know if will even knows about these batteries yet... probably lol. Anyways heres the link

Setting aside Terminator flashes from the Silicon AI and Dioxide exhaling potentially Oxygen inhaling potential...

The label has a few highlights:

1577679941840.png

The biggest and boldest lettering is pure marketing (green).

You'd need a heck of a lot more info on charge profile with those cells (yellow). Those are LTO voltages, which don't work well in 12V in 5S or 6S. But, obviously, this is just a label. You need more data.

RED alert. Well, then again, that's the norm.

Hey thanks Solar Badger for the input, yes I did notice something was off about the label info. I did a little more digging and they are compaired to a sealed gel cell according to the seller. I also found the option to charge them. I've never actually heard of them and theres nothing really out there about this battery that i have seen yet. So they claim its good for cold weather. So it would be great for my application as I live in canada and my shed is not heated all the time as its purely on solar. So its cold and hot and that restricts my battery type....unfortunately. Would really like to talk to someone who's got one of these bad sallys and see if they are any good. I might just have to be that guy to check it out.

Well, your biggest concern, presuming all the marketing is true, is charge profile. So, if you take the plunge, do as small as possible so you can play with and learn the charge profile. You absolutely do want to find specs on charging first. If you have to experiment, you'll need the right equipment to measure and study charge and discharge characteristics, and hopefully share with us.

@Craig can definitely help you if you decide to study these characteristics with a test purchase.

I am looking at these as well. Would love to hear more real world feedback.
Two retailers in Canada sell 2 different brands.

Bulk/Absorption Charging voltage range is 14.4V – 14.7V, with 14.6V optimal.
Float Charging voltage 13.5V – 13.8V.

Never heard of these. Just did a bit of googling and there seems to be two distinctly different categories of results:

(1) Scientific oriented pages all discuss using this chemistry to improve the anode performance in Lithium based batteries
(2) Sales oriented pages all discuss this chemistry being used as an alternative electrolyte in Lead Acid based batteries

Hmmm, smells fishy to me!

Hi. Shari from Azimuth to answer your questions... The ones above are manufactured in China by a Canadian company, Soneil Electronics. Soneil has been around since 1994, but they made smaller size light traction SiO2 batteries for the healthcare and materials handling industries. It wasn't until a few years ago that they expanded into larger size deep cycle solar. RV, telecom and marine sizes. They haven't been that great at marketing so they are a best kept secret. Lead crystal / SiO2 batteries are currently being made by Betta Batteries(Australia), Green Rhino (Germany) and Soneil Electronics (Canada). I have attached some studies of lead crystal / SiO2 batteries for review. :) So far, all the ones in the field are exceeding our expectations. We haven't had as good of track record with the Firefly's unfortunately - many warranty claims last year due to problems with production. They moved production to India a couple of years ago and they had a bad shipment. This year, we are cautiously optimistic that things will go much better since Firefly batteries perform very well when they work.

This is a competitor video showing how great these batteries are:

Also this review...

Attachments

• BT Test Report 2017 - 7th Sept..pdf
    329.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Lead Crystal Batteries in a Telco context - May 2013 2v5 - added Monbat.pdf
    996.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Test report University of Islamabad.pdf
    580.9 KB · Views: 12
  • TUE - Deep Discharge and Step Down Kill Report.pdf
    526.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 12 EFSN 270-1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 12 EFSN 100.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Well, your biggest concern, presuming all the marketing is true, is charge profile. So, if you take the plunge, do as small as possible so you can play with and learn the charge profile. You absolutely do want to find specs on charging first. If you have to experiment, you'll need the right equipment to measure and study charge and discharge characteristics, and hopefully share with us.

@Craig can definitely help you if you decide to study these characteristics with a test purchase.
I have attached the charging specs. There are the much more detailed State of Charge Charts available as well... this is an average chart that we summarized to make it easier.

Attachments

• Getting the Most Out of Your Silicon Dioxide Batteries.pdf
    410.9 KB · Views: 25
  • SiO2 EFSL Batteries State of Charge Chart.pdf
    557.3 KB · Views: 20
  • SiO2 EFSN Batteries State of Charge Chart.pdf
    562.3 KB · Views: 18
I have (2) of these 270AH in 24 volt. Has anyone used them with the Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor? I am trying to get it set up. SOC% seems off as it will read 100% when I am 26+ volts and will also read 100% when I am at 24 volts, which should be at the 40% mark. I had a panel issue over the weekend so I am charging from shore power currently - that might reset things.

Cheers!
Kalen

Back