diy solar

diy solar

SiO2 Silicon Dioxide Batteries

mtt04

Hi folks. Does anyone have experience with these. In Canada we get cold temps and the manufacturers of these are touting that these work in extreme cold conditions.

Any thoughts or experiences with them?

I have heard of them, but usually in the context of being overhyped as a lithium killer... which they aren't.

Quick update.

I got a price for 1 - 12v 100AH nearly fell off my wheelchair.
$1800 USD.

I guess I'll have look elsewhere.

One thing for sure. As this tech rolls out it'll one heck of lot cheaper.

Just like lithium iron... These Batteries will drop dramatically over the next few years.
As a resource fella I know lithium mining is exploding world-wide opening up supply.

I'll drag the leadacids in and out of the camps for now.

We are gonna see huge tech development coming.

It'll help all of us....

A company I worked for many years ago used to do maintenance on a carriers mobile / cell phone transmitter sites. The sites were remotes on hills and mountains and usually grid powered but had a battery system if that ever went away which was quite possible if a cyclone hit the area. The batteries were maintenance free sealed lead acid of some type. From the rate at which staff were changing the battery at various sites I'd guess the carrier was expecting a 10 year life span.

They already have the space for the battery so anything that fits and lasts longer would be getting plenty of attention with the real differentiation being TCO across the achieved life of the battery.

A company I worked for many years ago used to do maintenance on a carriers mobile / cell phone transmitter sites. The sites were remotes on hills and mountains and usually grid powered but had a battery system if that ever went away which was quite possible if a cyclone hit the area. The batteries were maintenance free sealed lead acid of some type. From the rate at which staff were changing the battery at various sites I'd guess the carrier was expecting a 10 year life span.

They already have the space for the battery so anything that fits and lasts longer would be getting plenty of attention with the real differentiation being TCO across the achieved life of the battery.
So would you recommend or not? i got a sweet deal with some telecom battery tempting me. 100$ used for 3 yrs.

So would you recommend or not? i got a sweet deal with some telecom battery tempting me. 100$ used for 3 yrs.
I think if you can get a good deal and it meets your requirements then go ahead.

I found the cost out of whack. If you can get them at that price how can you lose.

Just make sure your charge controller can handle any custom settings.

That's my two bits

If you are in the market for lead acid batteries and don't mind the risk of wasting your money if it turns out the 2nd hand battery has been flogged to death I don't have a problem with that. If you plan on being able to use them long term I'd honestly step back and take a good look at lifepo4.

I don't have a crystal ball but there's an almost certain guarantee that lifepo4 prices will reduce so maybe if you get 2nd hand batteries and they last long enough you will come out ahead when it's time to buy replacement lifepo4 batteries. It's all a bit of a gamble :)

Telecom use as UPS backups. Most Telecom engineering have rigorous processes for these things in my experience.

100 bucks is nothing if you get 2-3 years out of them.

That should lower his total cost of ownership over a decade.

By then lithium batteries will be cheaper or extinct from new tech coming out.

If I was gnubie I'd jump and try some. Cost of entry for a battery bank is sick. Gnubie your price get you into a potentially great storage solution for practically nothing

That's what you I'm doing. I'll limp lead acid for a few years until the lithium price points drop to a reasonable price.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Quick update.

I got a price for 1 - 12v 100AH nearly fell off my wheelchair.
$1800 USD.

I guess I'll have look elsewhere.

One thing for sure. As this tech rolls out it'll one heck of lot cheaper.

Just like lithium iron... These Batteries will drop dramatically over the next few years.
As a resource fella I know lithium mining is exploding world-wide opening up supply.

I'll drag the leadacids in and out of the camps for now.

We are gonna see huge tech development coming.

It'll help all of us....

OMG that is a ridiculous price! Please check again . Try searching for SiO2 batteries.

yeah but something i notice the voltage is at 12.3 something i don't like it.
Please see attached charging recommendations and a state of charge chart. They don't work with all chargers. They need to be charged between 14.4 and 14.7V and prefer 14.6V. It is best if you can customize the charging settings. They can be charged at .25C. (4 hour charge time)

Attachments

• SiO2 EFSL Batteries State of Charge Chart.pdf
    557.3 KB · Views: 7
  • SiO2 EFSN Batteries State of Charge Chart.pdf
    562.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Getting the Most Out of Your Silicon Dioxide Batteries.pdf
    410.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 12 EFSN 100.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Full disclosure - I distribute SiO2 batteries, but I am also a big fan of them personally. I use them in my "Solar Boler" and I leave them outside for the winter in Canada without a maintenance charger. They do fine.
Some background.
There are 3 manufacturer's of lead crystal batteries: Betta Batteries (Australia), Soneil Electronics (Canada) and Ev Solar (Germany). Green Rhino just signed a deal with EV Solar so I suspect that those will be available here soon. The prices are already a lot less than the prices quoted above. ... Betta and EV Solar have been more expensive mostly due to shipping. I know that Betta batteries are better prices if you are buying a large amount in banks for off-grid. Soneil Electronics has a lot more sizes for different applications at lower prices. They started out in 1994 making batteries for healthcare, material handling and janitorial uses. They expanded into larger sizes a few years ago but are not that great at marketing or direct sales. Lead crystal batteries are very popular in Australia, parts of Africa and Europe, but not as well known here in North America. I believe this is changing fast. Let me know if you have questions about how the batteries work and I will be happy to answer your questions.

This page has some clear technical explanations:

I have posted some info on charging and some of the research reports I have elsewhere on this forum.

Full disclosure - I distribute SiO2 batteries, but I am also a big fan of them personally. I use them in my "Solar Boler" and I leave them outside for the winter in Canada without a maintenance charger. They do fine.
Some background.
There are 3 manufacturer's of lead crystal batteries: Betta Batteries (Australia), Soneil Electronics (Canada) and Ev Solar (Germany). Green Rhino just signed a deal with EV Solar so I suspect that those will be available here soon. The prices are already a lot less than the prices quoted above. ... Betta and EV Solar have been more expensive mostly due to shipping. I know that Betta batteries are better prices if you are buying a large amount in banks for off-grid. Soneil Electronics has a lot more sizes for different applications at lower prices. They started out in 1994 making batteries for healthcare, material handling and janitorial uses. They expanded into larger sizes a few years ago but are not that great at marketing or direct sales. Lead crystal batteries are very popular in Australia, parts of Africa and Europe, but not as well known here in North America. I believe this is changing fast. Let me know if you have questions about how the batteries work and I will be happy to answer your questions.

This page has some clear technical explanations:

I have posted some info on charging and some of the research reports I have elsewhere on this forum.
Thanks for your post! Would you have a recommendation for chargers to use when plugged into shore power? I have a customizable MPPT, and can dial those values in, but I was wondering if there is a “better” 112VAC charger to use on cloudy days or when the trailer is parked in the barn.
Thanks,
Chas
P.S. I have two 100Ahr Green Rhino batteries.

Is that related to another one discussed previously?

Made of lead-calcium. And completely non-toxic, you can recycle it as organic fertilizer.

Back