diy solar

diy solar

SiO2 Silicon Dioxide Batteries

mtt04

Does anyone have experience with these batteries?

They are marketing them as harsh environment capable.

I'm looking for harsh environment batteries and have tried to get info on them.
As usual there is little hands-on review of them.

Is it fluff?

Any thoughts folks?

Wow the data sheets on these batteries make them seem great. I want to try one
They seem like they could revolutionize solar for anyone from cold or hot countries

A Telco here is using them as backup for One of their cell towers. A trial.
That is how I found out about them.

They seem incredible. Freezing is a huge issue.

They are saying -40 celsius as the lower limit. +65 celsius at the High end.

And the other aspects seem almost to good to be true. Discharge capabilities etc.

It's very difficult to find resellers. There are two in Canada. Not sure about the states.

It could be a nice alternative to AGM or a lower priced lithium alternative..

If they actually work that is.

Just thought I'd throw that out.
There is no one credible like you testing or reviewing them

Hi. Thanks for the link! I just joined your forum and was pleased and surprised to see this feed. In Canada, these batteries have been performing well in some pretty challenging (cold) conditions for off grid, RV, cabin and communication towers. Most of the test reports are for heat performance since that is where they have been sold the most. Soneil, the Canadian manufacturer, has been making these batteries for quite a few years, but originally for wheelchairs, floor machines, healthcare, medical lifts, janitorial, UPS, and materials handling equipment. They expanded into larger capacity batteries a few years ago but the technology is still relatively unknown in the US and Canada.
There are some tech specs and testing for Betta Batteries out of Australia,using the same technology. I have attached them below. And yes Azimuth carries these batteries and ships to the US. (sorry if that is too commercial)... I can edit if a problem.
Shari.

Attachments

• BT Test Report 2017 - 7th Sept..pdf
    329.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Test report University of Islamabad.pdf
    580.9 KB · Views: 7
  • TUE - Deep Discharge and Step Down Kill Report.pdf
    526.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Lead Crystal Batteries in a Telco context - May 2013 2v5 - added Monbat.pdf
    996.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi. Thanks for the link! I just joined your forum and was pleased and surprised to see this feed. In Canada, these batteries have been performing well in some pretty challenging (cold) conditions for off grid, RV, cabin and communication towers. Most of the test reports are for heat performance since that is where they have been sold the most. Soneil, the Canadian manufacturer, has been making these batteries for quite a few years, but originally for wheelchairs, floor machines, healthcare, medical lifts, janitorial, UPS, and materials handling equipment. They expanded into larger capacity batteries a few years ago but the technology is still relatively unknown in the US and Canada.
There are some tech specs and testing for Betta Batteries out of Australia,using the same technology. I have attached them below. And yes Azimuth carries these batteries and ships to the US. (sorry if that is too commercial)... I can edit if a problem.
Shari.

Its all about helping our members.
I'm not sure if Will's group has issues.
I sure don't.

Cost for these batteries is obscene.
They are not being marketed or priced correctly for Solar enthusiasts.
These manufacturers have an opportunity to sell to northern climate solar folks. seeking a charging battery for below zero.
Lithium is not appropriate for people in potential freezing conditions

Cost for these batteries is obscene.
They are not being marketed or priced correctly for Solar enthusiasts.
These manufacturers have an opportunity to sell to northern climate solar folks. seeking a charging battery for below zero.
Lithium is not appropriate for people in potential freezing conditions
Hi. Thank you for your feedback... what is it about the costing that you find obscene? Not trying to be difficult, just really curious. They end up lasting about 3-5 times as long as AGM for about double the price. Shipping is an issue in Canada though, especially for just one or two batteries. If sold on Amazon, shipping needs to be flat for all of Canada and the US, so you may pay more that way. If sold thru the actual company, then there are volume discounts and actual shipping rates.
Marketing I agree... there is only so much money available for marketing unfortunately. :)

$1,800 a battery is not a solution
Thats alot of AGM forklift batteries

$1,800 a battery is not a solution
Thats alot of AGM forklift batteries

100Ah 12V batteries range from $454.73-$599.00 each CAD, based on volume
260Ah 6V batteries range from $600.62-772.23 each CAD, based on volume. ** this is a light duty traction battery
270Ah 12V batteries (the largest size) range from $1345.23-$1669.94 each CAD, based on volume.
2800 cycles at 50% DoD
Compare to:
Trojan 8D-AGM 12V 230 AH AGM Sealed Battery $948.33 CAD - note the fewer Amp Hours & 1000 cycles at 50% DoD, 1 year warranty.
DRY CELL TRACTION BATTERY (forklift battery) - EVGT6A-A 6V 255Ah $453.95 USD / $611 CAD, shipping and brokerage from Kansas. 235-520 cycles at 50% DoD

Back