diy solar

diy solar

Sizes of UL listed panels for grid tie

zanydroid

Solar Wizard
What are the available sizes for panels that are UL listed for grid tied systems? I know of 60, 66, and 72.

Are there smaller form factors for squeezing into nooks and crannies better?

Because panels are wired in series, you normally want to use the same panels for the entire string so the system functions optimally.

60-72 cell panels, plus those in half cut options.
Solaria (and possibly other vendors) went wider with their panels past 60 cell. So instead of 6 wide*11 tall. They went 7 wide by 10 tall. Makes for alternative layout options.

But, yeah, they're mostly all the same width and very about a foot in length.

Ok. So it sounds 60 is the smallest (I’m rolling half cut in the same category), and almost all the smaller form factors are not built for permanent installation into a structure?

Smaller panels means more racking and that cost adds up quicker than expected. I've never seen a smaller panel with UL listing.

Got it.

Apart from solar shingle systems, are there products that visually complement solar panels but are easier to cut into arbitrary shapes to improve the aesthetics of an installation?

There used to be triangular panels.

I've seen some solar shingles which blended nicely with real shingles.
There are tiles (maybe, if those have hit the market.)

I think you'll pay through the nose for aesthetics. And maybe get more rapid degradation too.
If you care about aesthetics I'd suggest not installing PV, installing it out of sight, putting it on a building where a rectangular array can cleanly cover a roof face, or using it on a patio roof. Buy into community solar?

Panels with wafers are made of tempered glass for strength.
Thin-film on glass has to be non-tempered, due to temperatures involved. You might be able to cut those. But the thin film panels actually used to produce power may degrade faster than wafers.
There could be a market for look-alike parts that could be cut to fit (even wafers bonded to non-tempered glass), but such a niche that they would cost a premium. Cutting up old panels would be the way to go, except for the tempered glass.

Originally I was trying to figure out how to binpack panels into available area better, but then I also started thinking about how solar panels are used as a functional architecture element. From what I've seen, usually the architect or designer seems to just plop panels down with eye towards symmetry and maintaining some visual balance.

Yeah solar shingles are definitely a pay through the nose for aesthetics item. Both in needing more shingle area b/c of the reduced efficiency and in them just costing more.

I was thinking more of look-alike cladding that would not be subject to same listing requirements nor engineering requirements as solar panels. I strongly suspect any kind of glass would not be cheap to buy nor work with.

Back