diy solar

diy solar

Sizing inverter for freezer draw

metalheaddoc

I have an energy monitor plug on my big freezer. It draws about 100w when the compressor is running. But about once a week, it draws 400w which I assume is for the auto-defroster? How do I size the inverter assuming the compressor start will require 3-7x of the running watts for surge? I assume the 400w defroster is a resistive load and doesn't require a multiplier. So would a 1000w inverter (12v) run the freezer?

Over a week, the daily draw ranges from 0.43 kW to 1.12 kW. That high day was the 400w spike day.

So would a 1000w inverter (12v) run the freezer?
You’d have to buy it to find out, or at least after a year of looking at that 3 x to 7 x for induction type motors that’s my impression.

You can look at low frequency inverters that are heavy and expensive and perhaps hat will meet specs. Also, not all high frequency inverters are created equal, and you get what you pay for.

I‘m really waiting for a fridge owner to comment;I think 1000 watts should be good.

I would buy larger than you need that way your not over taxing your inverter. 1000w will be good.

I have an energy monitor plug on my big freezer. It draws about 100w when the compressor is running. But about once a week, it draws 400w which I assume is for the auto-defroster? How do I size the inverter assuming the compressor start will require 3-7x of the running watts for surge? I assume the 400w defroster is a resistive load and doesn't require a multiplier. So would a 1000w inverter (12v) run the freezer?

Over a week, the daily draw ranges from 0.43 kW to 1.12 kW. That high day was the 400w spike dayI
I have seen videos of people running freezers off of the 1000 watt Bluetti EB240 portable power station so I would say it would work. Just make sure it's a decent pure sine wave inverter.

Back