diy solar

diy solar

Sizing Up this Re-Configured Off Grid Camera

saxon11

I have a working prototype running in off-grid (no power or internet) with 24-7 security camera and mobile phone (providing internet). These two devices together running from USB of charge controller are at 10W per hour (2W camera, 8W phone). This setup has ran flawlessly with a with a large AGM battery and 100W solar panel over past two months. I have a case in which the battery, charge controller, phone, and camera are enclosed (attached is pic of my current setup, not beautiful, but effective). Here is MN we get about 5 hours sun/day.

I'm looking to continue this project, but with a much smaller case, and move to 12v 18A lithium battery.
  • the new 12v 18A lithium battery, that would be about 200W per 24 hours of available power. dimensions are 5.94"x 3.95"x 3.78".
  • my devices pull 240W per day of power, per my notes above of 10W consistent pull (2W + 8W).
  • solar at 5 hours using a 50W panel should top it off?
  • the case I'm looking at is 11.4"×7.5"×5.5". Camera would mount on exterior.
  • would plan on metal pole mounting for both case and solar panel
Any thoughts or considerations I may have missed here? thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_8409.jpg
    IMG_8409.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 8
I have a working prototype running in off-grid (no power or internet) with 24-7 security camera and mobile phone (providing internet).

Cool.

5 solar hours, not 5 hours of solar. 5 solar hours is excellent solar with sun hitting the panel from sunrise to sunset, not just 5 hours. Unlikely you'll get even half that in Winter unless you have clear skies and can tilt the panels pretty steeply. Given the skies in your picture, I would stick with the 100W.

Il
I have a working prototype running in off-grid (no power or internet) with 24-7 security camera and mobile phone (providing internet). These two devices together running from USB of charge controller are at 10W per hour (2W camera, 8W phone). This setup has ran flawlessly with a with a large AGM battery and 100W solar panel over past two months. I have a case in which the battery, charge controller, phone, and camera are enclosed (attached is pic of my current setup, not beautiful, but effective). Here is MN we get about 5 hours sun/day.

I'm looking to continue this project, but with a much smaller case, and move to 12v 18A lithium battery.
  • the new 12v 18A lithium battery, that would be about 200W per 24 hours of available power. dimensions are 5.94"x 3.95"x 3.78".
  • my devices pull 240W per day of power, per my notes above of 10W consistent pull (2W + 8W).
  • the case I'm looking at is 11.4"×7.5"×5.5". Camera would mount on exterior.
  • would plan on metal pole mounting for both case and solar panel
Any thoughts or considerations I may have missed here? thank you.
l sell you a Verizon Arlo for cheap. Then you just need the solar panel kit.

Back