diy solar

diy solar

Skipping absorption

NoSmokeYet

Hi guys
I just upgraded with a Victron 100/50 and two Chins 300Ah batteries. When charging with solar(600w) my unit goes from bulk mode to float mode without spending anytime in absorption mode?. I bet it's an easy fix but being new to Victron I really don't know why. Any help will be appreciated.

12 volt system
Absorption set at: 14.6
Float: 13.8
Absorption: Fixed. time: 2 hours
Tail current: 2.0
Max charge watts: 551
Max charge amps: 39

14.6V absorption requires PERFECT balance that doesn't exist in the real world.

Suspect BMS is tripping.

Absorption: 14.4
Float: 13.6
Absorption: Fixed. time: 30 minutes
Tail current: 30A (if it won't go to 30A, set it as high as it will go)

Your 600Ah of batteries are fully charged at 14.4V/30A (0.05C).

Last edited:
14.6V absorption requires PERFECT balance that doesn't exist in the real world.

Suspect BMS is tripping.

Absorption: 14.4
Float: 13.6
Absorption: Fixed. time: 30 minutes
Tail current: 30A (if it won't go to 30A, set it as high as it will go)

Your 600Ah of batteries are fully charged at 14.4V/30A (0.05C).
Okay Eggo, I entered all your setting and it did accept the 30A.
Thank you very much for the help.

Okay Eggo, I entered all your setting and it did accept the 30A.
Thank you very much for the help.

If you find it still refuses to enter absorption, try 14.0V absorption and sneak up on 14.4V after a few days.

It's also a good idea to triple check all connections for proper torque/contact and make sure you've connected the batteries via best practices.

If you find it still refuses to enter absorption, try 14.0V absorption and sneak up on 14.4V after a few days.

It's also a good idea to triple check all connections for proper torque/contact and make sure you've connected the batteries via best practices.
I'm using all new copper cables and have 4/0 awg from the batteries to the bus bars. The weak link is I have 8 awg from the controller to the bus bar right now. Should receive the 6 awg in a few days (just gets a little warm so far). Thanks again.

Well I played around with a lot of different settings but the controller would only stay in absorption mode for about a minute at most. The only way I have found to keep absorption mode on is to disable the tail current setting. These are brand new batteries and I have never had them charged above the float voltage of 13.8. So I'm going to sit here and watch these batteries charge. Turning off the solar every once and a while to see the state of charge of the batteries. Then I plan on setting the absorption time to how ever long it takes to get these to 14.4. Does that sound about right?

I recently bought some "Slightly Used" CHINS 12v 400a batteries on eBay from the Kuboka store (which claims to be the same company as CHINS)

Here's the charging data they sent me on eBay:

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your purchase.
The setting method of MPPT and inverter of 12.8V lithium iron phosphate battery pack is as follows:
Charging
Charging Limit Voltage: 14.2V
Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 14.6V
Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage: 13.8V
Float Charging Voltage: 13.8V
Discharging
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 11.6V
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage: 12.4V
Under Voltage Warning Voltage: 12.8V

The setting method of MPPT and inverter of 25.6V lithium iron phosphate battery pack is as follows:
Charging
Charging Limit Voltage: 28.4V
Over Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 29.2V
Over Voltage Reconnect Voltage: 27.6V
Float Charging Voltage: 27.6V
Discharging
Low Voltage Disconnect Voltage: 23.2V
Low Voltage Reconnect Voltage: 24.8V
Under Voltage Warning Voltage: 25.6V

The above are two common installation methods, if you use other methods (series or parallel) to install our batteries, please contact us and we will send you the MPPT and inverter setting parameters. We can also arrange engineers to send you design drawings of series and parallel connections.

Best Wishes
CHINS-Battery
Jeffery​

Back