diy solar

diy solar

skoolie build, but using alot of parts from an rv trailer, adding solar, inverter, what happens when i plug into shore power? transfer switch?

skoolie929

first time post, so bare with me. how will i wire in a transfer switch? for the vehicle to know i'm plugged into shore power. ive seen lots of diagrams for solar power, and an inverter and a device to charge my starting battery with alternator... I purchased a wrecked rv trailer and was taking most parts from it and putting in a short bus, the electrical distribution box, has 110, and 12 v, with a charger when plugged into shore power, i think i have to eliminate the charger , cause i'm gonna run solar.. but when its parked for extended periods of time, i thought about letting it plugged into shore power, getting confused by all these different power sources..

Transfer switch has two inputs and one output. Utility cord is one input and the inverter is the other input. Output goes to the 120 volt distribution panel. Yes the integrated converter/charger will need to be turned off if powered by the inverter or rewired to just get power from the utility cord input.

Many get an all-in-one inverter/charger that has a built in transfer switch. This unit will know to use utility power when available and use the charger only on utility power to charge the battery.

Back