diy solar

diy solar

Skybox questions

n4mwd

I am considering buying a skybox all in one inverter. I have an A/C with a high start load. I will probably get a soft start kit for it, but I don't think that will be enough. The skybox doesn't have a surge capacity so 5KW is it.

If I temporarily connect a 4KW inverter (8KW surge) to the generator input, would the skybox ADD the 8kw to its own 5kw and then have enough to start the A/C? Or does the skybox simply switch between the inputs?

I am told that the skybox can connect to the grid for addiitional starting power, but its not clear if it switches inputs or ADDs. By switching I mean that it has a relay that briefly connects the A/C to the grid for starting and then back once its running. By ADD, I mean it uses the grid to AC couple to the inverter, with the inverter supplying its max and the grid supplying the rest.

If not, is there a better/cheaper inverter that will work like that?

Looks like it’s been a while since you posted.

it depends on how you connect your loads. None of the loads in my critical panel are very large. But in my main panel I have my larger loads, ac, electric water heater and dryer. When the main panel loads come on the skybox kicks in its 5kw and the grid takes the rest. I’m sure it would work with the generator too. But I think generator is also limited to 5kw.

Looks like it’s been a while since you posted.

it depends on how you connect your loads. None of the loads in my critical panel are very large. But in my main panel I have my larger loads, ac, electric water heater and dryer. When the main panel loads come on the skybox kicks in its 5kw and the grid takes the rest. I’m sure it would work with the generator too. But I think generator is also limited to 5kw.
Thanks. I like the skybox except for its inability to handle surge current. It looks like if I want to run the 4 ton A/C from batteries, then I will need a second inverter. Then again, I could get a $100 window A/C unit which will work with a skybox just fine. I've also been looking at some of the MPP all in one inverters, but they seem weak in the MPPT tchnology. They have superior surge capacity, but the highest voltage MPPT was only 250V. The skybox is 600V x 2. The MPP inverters are half the physical size and half the price as well.

Anyhow, I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out.

Back