diy solar

diy solar

Slim configuration & flexible busbars (280AH)

Better than Braided busbars?

Eriflex Flexibar has insulated plastic on the outside and tinned copper on the inside. This comes from the factory on UL starters and drives of over 1000 amps. Normally installed between the starter and the motor.

Measure it up and cut to size. Drill a hole in it through the bars. Cut the plastic back to expose the conductor. No need to add wire connectors or shrink wrap on the ends. A slight bow from terminal to terminal will allow for expansion if needed.

There are different sizes and amperage up to 2000 amps, the link below is listed for 400 amps. The size in the link is Width: 0.79 Inches Height: 0.24 Inches Length: 78.74 Inches.

View attachment 23892View attachment 23893
Excellent Find / Link.
I just ordered four https://www.galco.com/buy/ERICO/534507 to use between my Chargery DCC's and Shunts, this looks like the perfect solution to a the conundrum I was having, I was not happily entertaining the idea of making up really short 4/0 "Dog Bones" with cable & lugs.

I like those I wish they had a better way to sort and find size or length that you would like to have instead of going through all of their products.

I like those I wish they had a better way to sort and find size or length that you would like to have instead of going through all of their products.
No kidding and that catalogue & listings are tedious... some measurements are in decimal, no fractions and them mm.
Ordered them, paid with Visa and ground shi[pping UPS (they only have UPS ) and they haven't yet come back with a price for S&H. Not thrilled with their "Shopping Cart, NOPE, not at all.

Dang it part: I was just getting set to install the battery packs on the shelves and hook everything up and NOW I ordered these to make life easier (and neater for the install) BUT slowing completion for another darn week... BOS and Getting it right ! LMAO

The braided style you ordered look good and are pretty inexpensive.

This is the manufacturers website and I found slightly easier to pick out sizes. https://www.erico.com/category.asp?category=R2028

I like the flexibar because it gives a lot of "flexibilty" (pun intended) you can drill and cut them any length. One think I forgot to mention is that while they are flexible, it is easier to bend into shape before you cut them. That way the hole and the copper bars remain lined up.

Calco maybe a Good Company but their purchasing system leaves Much to be desired.

Ordered the flex bars early AM yesterday. No pricing provided for S&H by UPS.
Asked about it, told when it get's put on the truck, I'll be told how much ! REALLY ??
Last evening got the Shipping notice but still no Price, apparently I'll get that today... MEANWHILE they have my Visa #, no idea what UPS will charge and then the company even added "Int'l Paperwork Fee of $10" WTF !! IS THAT ???

THAT IS SHODDY & POOR BUSINESS !
Flexible BusBars may be a great solution but do find a better company to buy from... This is NOT a good or Comfortable feeling.... at all !

EDIT: Email Invoice received at 10:41: WHAT A FARCE !
$10 International paperwork fee & $40 in shipping.... for $40 dollars worth of Product !
LESSON LEARNED FOR OTHERS TO AVOID ! STAY THE FRICK AWAY FROM THESE SHEISTERS !

Calco farce.JPG

Last edited:
Wow that is crazy and we appreciate you sharing to help others to not go down the same path!

Wow that is crazy and we appreciate you sharing to help others to not go down the same path!
Hahaha,,, well as of this Morning IT GOT WORSE !
Galco apparently refunded the $10 Internal Paperwork fees (apparently is does not apply to Canada - Go Figure, BUT you have to speak up about it.)
Then this morning I get an E-Bill from UPS for another $35 for their clearance & paperwork, even no Duties or Taxes are applicable.

So the $40 worth of Flexible Bus Bars ends up being $150 CDN ! after the currency exchange and bull-shyte is tallied up.
Turns out, I could have driven down to the local commercial electrical supplier and bought all four for $60 CAD.

Note: I speak 5 Languages so appreciate this sentiment being expressed in ALL those languages !
_)&*)#U(#I*$+_)*I(_+)@()( Bloddy Fricken ()*_)(#_#()_(&#*(*] damned )(*&(_$E)*Z_)# God Dam-(*(I)_()**&^^&^(*&*&^&^HO)(+*_)()*&*&*P)_ !
umph...

EDIT: I've had my fill of shenanigans. Sent links, Info & details to Jason @ Chargery + some other Known Good Suppliers to see if they can source & supply such Flexible BusBars. Hopefully, some options will appear soon for fellow DIY builders.

Last edited:
Galco apparently refunded the $10 Internal Paperwork fees (apparently is does not apply to Canada - Go Figure, BUT you have to speak up about it.)
Then this morning I get an E-Bill from UPS for another $35 for their clearance & paperwork, even no Duties or Taxes are applicable.

So the $40 worth of Flexible Bus Bars ends up being $150 CDN ! after the currency exchange and bull-shyte is tallied up.
Turns out, I could have driven down to the local commercial electrical supplier and bought all four for $60 CAD.

Note: I speak 5 Languages so appreciate this sentiment being expressed in ALL those languages !
_)&*)#U(#I*$+_)*I(_+)@()( Bloddy Fricken ()*_)(#_#()_(&#*(*] damned )(*&(_$E)*Z_)# God Dam-(*(I)_()**&^^&^(*&*&^&^HO)(+*_)()*&*&*P)_ !
umph...

EDIT: I've had my fill of shenanigans. Sent links, Info & details to Jason @ Chargery + some other Known Good Suppliers to see if they can source & supply such Flexible BusBars. Hopefully, some options will appear soon for fellow DIY builders.
I tell you that sucks so bad but just had to LOL at you speaking in all 5 languages! I hope this works out for you as in you can get some reimbursements or something. I would think for additional cost there should be some additional agreement.

I tell you that sucks so bad but just had to LOL at you speaking in all 5 languages! I hope this works out for you as in you can get some reimbursements or something. I would think for additional cost there should be some additional agreement.
Well Calco is NOT the only source, I have discovered several others in the US, not so easy in Canada.
I only needed these to finish my final rebuild (going from Shunt to DCC) I did not want a 6" 4/0 cable with lugs Dogbone. All my cabling from Batt out is 4/0. BUT maybe others will be able to get them from our suppliers out of China for respectable prices including S&H. I've suggested to Jason that this should be a standard offering from Chargery to go with the DCC's as an extra. I have a "feeling" the demand will be there soon enough. Fingers crossed s it ca benefit the rest of the membership down the road.

I have never ordered from Galco either. They were an easy link to show the product and pricing. We get ours from a local distributor.

Hey crew,
Currently have the standard configuration of 4s 280ah & I want to change it to a "slim" configuration.
View attachment 21055
This install is four my four wheel drive and in the current configuration it takes too much space up unnecessarily.

Now, the trade off for this configuration is the mechanical integrity of the battery. So I believe flexible BUSBARS would be a much safer option. Would this braid be sufficient? and I'll just use tinned copper pipe for the lugs, pressed on the braid. https://tinyurl.com/y2alnuxq.

To give strength to the longest side of the battery to provide adequate compression for optimum battery health, I will 3D print INDIVIDUAL cell casings, which will slide into a plywood box.

Are there any flaws in this, or advice?
Thanks in advance!
Hi @idontknowwhatimdoing ! I'm actually taking the same project for my truck. Would you mind providing me with your battery build? Looks like you've already got it figured out!

umph...

How do you like these Erico Flexibars after a few years?
eBay has some I’ve been looking at. They appear to only have 3 conductors. The spec sheet below says “Typical Application Current Rating 400a”

Would these be appropriate for a single lf280k 8S 24v build with a 200a jk bms and Victron multiplus ii 3000va?

I would use them for connecting the battery to a t class fuse, FilterGuy’s Inverter Disconnect Switch with Precharge switch, Victron smart shunt, and bulkhead + and - connections. Then run 2/0 from the bulkhead connections to the inverter.

You have made amazing contributions to this site, I can’t express my gratitude enough. Thank you!

Your input would be much appreciated. Cheers!

How do you like these Erico Flexibars after a few years?
Sitting on a shelf for quite some time now.
I changed from Chargery BMS to JKBMS (FET Based, no contactors)

I am just now finalizing my Home System and this is what it is turning into.
6X: 8S/24V 280AH Packs in Steel Battery Cases with JK-BMS-Inverter Edition 200A BMS' with displays on each pack.
Each pack is also connected to a 200A MRBF Fuse @ Busbar.
Main DC-BUS goes through my Midnite E-Panel which has a Carling Tech 250A Master Breaker.
All paralleled together for 1680AH / 43kWh storage.

I used it on my mobile batteries, but a smaller size. Running for about two years now.

99CF9847-F3CB-4BB0-AAEC-CA6C0F7E5DE0.jpeg

I had to grab one too. Seems like a decent price and would hate to miss out. What size and conductor count did you use? Nice build! I’d love to see additional pics if you’ve got them.
I used 3x20x1 on my 4s 12 volt batteries, these are for my work truck. I have two 280ah batteries with a Victron 12/3000/120 Multiplus. They mount on 1” vibration dampers.

9D154E0D-C9B2-4473-A2D2-5630FABB6636.jpeg4F75D216-8055-4EBB-BF9E-99BA86A3356F.jpeg87EA0422-107D-4BF4-B792-A58FFA384319.jpeg41EACF60-AA10-4366-85CA-3423C299AF64.jpeg

Attachments

• 59A11390-E9C4-458A-9977-640FD03558A0.jpeg
    59A11390-E9C4-458A-9977-640FD03558A0.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 8276B6E0-BBD6-4536-AE5B-FB455496D090.jpeg
    8276B6E0-BBD6-4536-AE5B-FB455496D090.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 47199B18-0413-4028-A0BB-3CFEF8CB2FB3.jpeg
    47199B18-0413-4028-A0BB-3CFEF8CB2FB3.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 6
Great idea with the vibration dampers. Any tips on drilling the holes? What tool did you use to cut it to length? Would it be better to bend it before cutting and drilling?
I clamped it before drilling otherwise you get burs between the layers, I would bend first. I plan on buying one of these for the future to make life easier.

9A4B7B0F-7E3E-4856-9B97-B62BDE694AF5.png

Back