diy solar

diy solar

Slimline battery case: DIY or prefab available?

amartin

I badly want (need) a slim-type form factor battery for mounting behind the rear seat in my offroad truck. Most pre-built options on the market are questionable, and almost all are from Australia which poses shipping headaches due to the LFP. Is anyone aware of an off-the-shelf empty battery case that would fit 4 EVE type cells (280 or 304) and a BMS for a DIY build? Including a photo and link of a similar product to show what I am talking about: https://www.12voltdirect.com.au/~8910010

tvd-lbS100-1 (Large).jpg

Secondary question: If nobody makes what I am looking for, I might give up my last bit of sanity and try to make my own. I just want something that is user-servicable, can fit 4 EVE cells for 200-300Ah capacity, metal is probably ideal because I can't mold plastic at home. I am not a gajillionaire which is the part stopping me now because I haven't found any way to do this economically. Any thoughts?

I am reaching out to some of these Aussie companies to see what I can get but so far it hasn't been promising. Many of them I believe just drop-ship from China and tell me they can't sell just the empty box (even if they can, many do not have correct dimensions for the cells). I will have one of these someday but I'd rather have one now.

Q: "Why haven't you just bought one from Australia/China?" A: Most look sketchy beyond what I can afford to lose, almost none give specs if they have basic things like low temp cutoff, and so far none that I have found are more compromises than I want to deal with.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Last edited:
This is exactly what I would like to achieve. You can use blade cells from Big Battery. I would prefer to diy my battery to get 300 ah capacity. Just trying to figure out how to prevent swelling of the cells. I think I will use 80/20 and plywood to build my battery box.

This is exactly what I would like to achieve. You can use blade cells from Big Battery. I would prefer to diy my battery to get 300 ah capacity. Just trying to figure out how to prevent swelling of the cells. I think I will use 80/20 and plywood to build my battery box.
I considered using extrusions but I think for my application they are just too big and chunky. After looking at some other designs, I'm starting to formulate some plans for a DIY frame that should be easy to build if I can't find something off-the-shelf.

I also currently own an SOK 206Ah marine battery which works fine but is big & bulky. Starting to consider just cannibalizing that one and building a new slim box for it to save costs. I don't think I can sell it second-hand and recoup much of the costs so this could be the route I go for now.

Back