diy solar

diy solar

SMA Sunny Boy code 10120 "currently permitted number of parameterizations exceeded" HOW TO RESET? UNABLE TO CHANGE VALUES

road glide

SMA Sunny Boy 5kw-SP-US-41 purchased last fall (2020)...Cannot change active feed in limitations, will not accept changes after saving all. Under events now getting the above "information" not an error or warning. Tried turning off system completely for 5 mins and reboot and also overnite. still frozen....Owners manual just lists code 10120 but not how to reset.....

SMA Sunny Boy 5kw-SP-US-41 purchased last fall (2020)...Cannot change active feed in limitations, will not accept changes after saving all. Under events now getting the above "information" not an error or warning. Tried turning off system completely for 5 mins and reboot and also overnite. still frozen....Owners manual just lists code 10120 but not how to reset.....
Hey Road Glide -- Did you find a workaround or solution ? We use modbus to control the power_limit parameter. Stupid SMA seems to have an issue with that.

I did not. I waited a few weeks and then went in and changed the parameter to max limit (5kw). It took, so I left it alone after that . I think the system memorizes the amount of changes and it is an internal limit. So after time passes you can change again. I could not find a way to defeat it other than the passage of time.

Why do big companies think they CAN MESS WITH THE CUSTOMER like this ? This is nothing more than BIG BROTHER in play here. You don't own anything anymore -- big corporate owns you.

My last thought...maybe it is a safeguard to prevent overuse of raising and lower parameters that may damage internals? I have SMA Sunny Islands and SMA Sunny Boy and I still like them over the others. When you scan the forums you will see other brands have huge issues as well. Later

I haven't run into that problem (yet), and haven't tried to do power export limit (yet).
I am concerned with making changes frequently enough to stay within grid export limits, but also excessive changes wearing out non-volatile memory. Another forum member with different brand (Schneider) confirmed he could write without it being stored in NVM.

The only documented limit for SMA is grid settings locked after 8 hours operation, requires installer code.

The SMA export limit solution I don't understand well. Would ideally just connect a CT to a couple analog ports on Sunny Boy. Instead there is a Data Manager and something about internet site on the web. While remote control is a feature, export limit ought to function locally.

Why do big companies think they CAN MESS WITH THE CUSTOMER like this ? This is nothing more than BIG BROTHER in play here. You don't own anything anymore -- big corporate owns you.
Some old PC software used to do the same stupid thing. The hack is to reset the system clock. Perhaps the same could be done on SMA.

Even with 'grid guard code' the SMA inverter is still locking me out at what is half-power. Can't even get one reset to 5050 to work. What a p---e of sh-t
Other three inverters are fine.
It was just this one that I was adjusting the output to balance off-grid with a xw6848 creating the off-grid source.
This hidden limitation is unforgiving for users off grid. And its a further curse to be locked out only for corporate manipulation. Shame on you SMA.

Live2461w4449w4485w4493w15888w total
As you can see the first one is stuck on stupid.

If anyone has a direct email or direct contact number, please share with me, even if by private message. I won't sit on hold for an hour and talk to level one, level two idiots, to escaltate this SIMPLE ISSUE.

I don’t know how it works in the USA, but in Australia you lodge a ticket in mySMA and in my experience issues are dealt with swiftly.

I just waited a few days and the command worked this morning. I won't be forgettin this SMA !!?!

This can only be meant to piss off users that make intelligent use of an inverter.

That exact code happened to me and it was easy to fix, but for the life of me, I can't remember what I did to fix it.

I can tell you this, it was just a matter of going into the menu, and finding a specific drop down box that had an option for doing a "reset" or "relearning".

In my case, I had added a second identical inverter to my solar array when I expanded. I went from 3 strings on a single inverter to 4 strings feeding two inverters. When I did that, I had moved one string from inverter A to inverter B and inverter A (the original) wasn't happy that it was missing a string. It kept popping an error code on the user interface. It was still making power just fine, but that big RED notification was annoying. So I had gone into the menu and figured out how to reset the error code, and each time I did that, it counted as one "parameter change" and eventually locked me out..

With more research and some help from someone on a forum group somewhere (I honestly thought it was Hedges but apparently not), I found a drop down menu box with an option to "relearn". This action caused the inverter to sort of reinitialize itself but it didn't lose anything I was concerned with.

Inside the menu, under "DEVICE" then under "OPERATION", you should find a drop down box for "Reset" this or that.. Pick one that seems best and see if it works.

Did you ever use a 'grid guard code' ?
I had two inverters, same base model, 6 years ago. And procured that from SMA back then.
For me it was patience, but cost a few days of production waiting.
We will simply assume we can't do this control in the future. SMA and our installer are AWOL on this matter. No help.
Do you use ModBus or the webinterface ? My 6 year old model did not have a web interface.

Use the Sunny Explorer software
Select the inverter to change
Click the SETTINGS tab
Go to DC SIDE
Near the bottom is an option to Restart Learning which resets operating data.
Click RESTART LEARNING
Wait a few minutes
Error should go away.

Anyone who has SMA stuff and is using this forum should get themselves a GRIDGUARD code from SMA.
SMA is German and they like their bureaucracy. Call them and they will send you a form to fill out and about a week later they will send you your gridguard code. That code is the "key to the palace." Use it carefully and wisely, you can really screw things up if you are not careful.

By the way, you do not need a gridguard code to change the above. Just make sure to log in as installer. Log in as user and you can not change anything.

Last edited:
Use the Sunny Explorer software
Select the inverter to change
Click the SETTINGS tab
Go to DC SIDE
Near the bottom is an option to Restart Learning which resets operating data.
Click RESTART LEARNING

AND not there
Version 1.07.29

I hate these info boxes that refuse to let me paste text

Current security level: Installer

Wish I could find a simple button on a Explorer page that says REBOOT or RESTART
What clowns make us trek out to pv site and cycle dc and ac switches.

Back