diy solar

diy solar

SMA Sunny Boy code 10120 "currently permitted number of parameterizations exceeded" HOW TO RESET? UNABLE TO CHANGE VALUES

Real problem is I'm in Florida, powers off, and stupid Sunny Boy inverters refuse to let me control power output via modbus
Even when I change power limit in Sunny Explorer page, it does no good.
I have to walk out to array and kill dc and ac and wait one minute.
Then the inverter will use the power limit I ask for.

THIS IS A PAIN SMA.

Does anyone know of a modbus command to force a Sunny Boy to reboot or restart. Nothing in any documentation I've seen.

Sunny Boy power limit - is that due to zero or limited export while grid tie?

Why would you need to control it while power is off? AC coupled to battery inverter? (I see your other postings on XW Pro)

Whatever hardware/software channel has been setting the limit while on-grid, maybe it can do it. What had changed the limit?

I use Sunny Web Box and Sunny explorer. I noticed a limit had been set on one Sunny Boy < 100% but didn't change it because more than enough for the panels connected.

We've developed a property automation system. Can run a diesel generator to power house loads and reduce fuel consumption by allowing pv energy into the output lines from the generator. We monitor the current flows and when we adjust limit on pv production we can safely prevent power from backfeeding the generator windings. When hvac switch one we allow more pv output thru adjusting pv limit values. Going for about 25% current from genset and 75% from pv. If that's not good enough we can go for 50/50.

SMA papers have talked about generator/sunny island/sunny boy, saying that under load generator can drop to suitable frequency for sunny boy to deliver 100%. Of course, SI disconnects to prevent backfeed if necessary.

So are you using SB directly on generator, without SI?
There is some sort of export-limit control. It seems to talk about internet connection, maybe it can operate locally.
If you had CT on generator wires and set for zero backfeed, it might run full bore on the grid, but adjust output when on generator.

I have an interest in doing something with limited backfeed one of these days - 30kW Sunny TriPower, single phase grid connection (so 6.7kW max) feeding 3-phase SI system. I imagine SpeedWire and some SBC, whether Raspberry PI or other. I wish there was a simple analog input.

What is SI ? Sunny Island ?
We have contactors (the 200amp ones found in smart utility meters) that shift load and grid around.
Using current transformers we can see whats going where and regulate the pv production to prevent generator backfeed.
For a 10kw house load we will push for genset to do about 50%. If an a/c goes off then there is still safe cushion to give adjustment time to correct.
Inverters will also shut down with high frequency which can come about when generator has almost no load. Its a good thing then.

Yes, SI short for Sunny Island, SB short for Sunny Boy.

I didn't know smart meters had a contactor; is that to disconnect non-paying customers without human contact?
If you have a transfer switch, make sure inverter (SB or SI) sees 5 seconds "off" time before reconnecting to a different out of phase source.

SMA warns that SB must be prevented from backfeeding generator. SI can provide that function.
If your generator increased enough in frequency, would accomplish same. But need to be sure it provides sufficient protection.
If you've got current transformer (and voltage monitoring) for power flow, can probably do pretty good job of it. I'm interested in that for limiting backfeed, e.g. if I have more PV watts available from SB that can be backfed through SI, or than utility agreement allows.

You might be able to reach about 100% from PV, with generator just providing voltage/frequency source, if frequency stays within range.
The on-grid UL-1741 or UL-1741-SA limits are tighter, while off-grid allows much wider voltage and frequency.

A dump load could be another way to deal with excess PV. SMA used to sell a smart load, basically a Sunny Boy working backwards putting variable DC power into a load like resistance heater. A dimmer would be a crude way, maybe too poor a power factor. Motorized variac could do it, but has to be big. Switch-mode power supply with good power factor correction would be another.

Sunny Island (or other AC coupled battery inverter) might make a nicer system for you, only running generator when needed. Batteries would buffer the PV system most of the time.

I guess what I have qualifies as a dump load. Retired an instant hw heater due to the excessive currents it drew. Traditional 50 gallon heater is 4500w and will run when pv energy is ample. It takes water to 140 degrees every day at like 11 am to noon. Then depletes into the night. I use a plumbing mixing valve to limit hot water temp to 115.

It really sounds like SMA is not the best choice for your project. Any other UL compliant grid-tied inverters allow on-demand setting of output power limit?

Some inverters interface directly with current transformer, for zero-export or limited export.
So far as I can tell, Sunny Boy and Sunny TriPower need another gizmo to monitor and send them commands via Speedwire (Ethernet).

But with Generator --> Sunny Island --> Sunny Boy, it could be a fantastic system.
In that case, frequency shift matches Sunny Boy output to load perfectly.

Hate the waveform for instant heaters. Wrecks havoc with generator as well.

Freudian slip, sparks flew?

Ideally would have variable load. You could switch 120/240 for 25%/100%.
But instant requires water flow.
The tank-type would make more sense. Two elements, some switching could give several power levels.

With an AC couple frequency-shift system like Sunny Island, the frequency could be used as signal to adjust load. A PID control loop rotating Variac feeding water heater, for instance. Or ideally an electronic equivalent.
There is also a simple on-off relay available indicating when surplus production is available, but I could imagine that affecting absorption phase of battery.

Yes, SI short for Sunny Island, SB short for Sunny Boy.

I didn't know smart meters had a contactor; is that to disconnect non-paying customers without human contact?
If you have a transfer switch, make sure inverter (SB or SI) sees 5 seconds "off" time before reconnecting to a different out of phase source.

SMA warns that SB must be prevented from backfeeding generator. SI can provide that function.
If your generator increased enough in frequency, would accomplish same. But need to be sure it provides sufficient protection.
If you've got current transformer (and voltage monitoring) for power flow, can probably do pretty good job of it. I'm interested in that for limiting backfeed, e.g. if I have more PV watts available from SB that can be backfed through SI, or than utility agreement allows.

You might be able to reach about 100% from PV, with generator just providing voltage/frequency source, if frequency stays within range.
The on-grid UL-1741 or UL-1741-SA limits are tighter, while off-grid allows much wider voltage and frequency.

A dump load could be another way to deal with excess PV. SMA used to sell a smart load, basically a Sunny Boy working backwards putting variable DC power into a load like resistance heater. A dimmer would be a crude way, maybe too poor a power factor. Motorized variac could do it, but has to be big. Switch-mode power supply with good power factor correction would be another.

Sunny Island (or other AC coupled battery inverter) might make a nicer system for you, only running generator when needed. Batteries would buffer the PV system most of the time.
Found those contactors that handle 200 amps for about $40 each on a surplus site. Double pole
and latching and new.
You reverse the control polarity to toggle on and off. Probably used about 10 now at two different sites.

Back