diy solar

diy solar

SMA Sunny Boy producing power and grid closed - not showing on power bill

Anit767

The power company says I already have a "net meter". I'm making at least 25kwh per day but it's not showing on my daily usage on the electric provider website.

Any idea what is wrong?

Did you register it with utility company? Most of the time it is not automatic, and they need to inspect and approve it.

If you did this, sometimes they only compute the net amount when monthly billing is issued. You should at least see a daily consumption reduction over your previous run rate.

Did you register it with utility company? Most of the time it is not automatic, and they need to inspect and approve it.

If you did this, sometimes they only compute the net amount when monthly billing is issued.
I have contacted them. They said they would come by and look at the install and swap out the meter. I waited a week and they said I already have a net meter. The settings on the inverter look great and the green light is on which means its sending power to the grid. For whatever reason, they aren't very friendly.

Maybe your second point is issue. I can see my daily kwh usage on the electric company website.

Another thought is that sometimes the accounting software needs to be toggled to record the net energy sent by the meter. If your provider offers web statistics that should show up. In other cases the meter needs to be told to send generation data to the accounting software.

Finally, after confirming all of the above in my case I was informed by PG&E that it was going to take four months for a correct NEM bill to be prepared. They did say that the new bill would be retroactive from October 2021. I will know for sure in a week or so.

The meter says

“REC 106 kWh”, but it doesn’t show “NET”

So maybe they still need to do something on their end.

Back