diy solar

diy solar

SMA Sunny Island Inverter question for Hedges (or anyone who has relevant Sunny Island experience)

I want a manual, not a damn video!
But thanks, this is the only guide I've seen.

"Elkor Meter W2-EL-mA-DL" connected to current transformers

Fine print that flashes on the screen for a second:
"As the response time of the export limitation control scheme depends on a non-deterministic communications channel, SMA will not accept liability for the performance of this setup"

Modbus Devices, interface dropdown menu shows choices [Ethernet, COM1RS485]

Sunny Boy "Operating Mode Active Power Setting" "External Setting"

I have to pause video, rewind, take notes. Those notes belong in a manual, maybe also a quick-start guide.

Active Power Setpoint is a percentage, 0% for zero export. But not sure what percentage would mean say 2.5kW max export.

Although the manual doesn't explain how to configure zero-export, it does list energy meters:

"Energy meters:
• DTS 307 from Measurlogic, Inc.
• PAC2200 from Siemens (only as consumption meter)
• Power Analyser of the UMG 604 series from Janitza electronics GmbH
• UMD 705 from PQ Plus GmbH
• WattNode Modbus of the WNC series from Continental Control Systems, LLC
• WattsOn-Mark II Precision Energy Meter from Elkor Technologies Inc."

A rose by any other name (instead of "zero export"):

"Supported inverters for the limitation of the active power feed-in to 0% The limitation of the active power feed-in to 0% are only supported by inverters that support the fallback function. In the event of a communication failure between the product and the inverter, the inverter is reduced to an output power of 0% during"

I'd like to be able to use it with older RS-485 rather than just newer Speedwire equipped inverters. Not sure yet, but I know 1200 baud RS-485 is pretty slow.

I see SMA has a free webinar on the Data Manager M

Content:​

• Use cases, functionalities and additional products in combination with the SMA Data Manager M
  • Live demonstrations: SMA Data Manager M, I/O system for temperature measurement, energy meter for load visualization

Back